Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #41
boreamor
^(^_^)^
 
boreamor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Keele University
Scottish History is "**** the English. Those bastards".
boreamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #42
Thrashtastic15
CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: over the line in 04
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
Canadian history is shorter than USA history. I just had to do one HS credit. Got it and never thought about that waste-of-time subject again. I mean, if I want to know the history then I'll google the event. There is no point in memorizing it. No understanding is required. I can just jump in anywhere and start reading. History is near the top of the list in the waste of time and money degrees.

This is why drugs are bad kids. Fry your brain.
__________________
████ Barkov Huberdeau Ekblad ████

Florida Panthers 2014-2015
19 - 9 - 3

fuckin willis im gonna run that cunt
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #43
Drmckool
Self-proclaimed doctorate
 
Drmckool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Tee Dot Oh
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
Canadian history is shorter than USA history. I just had to do one HS credit. Got it and never thought about that waste-of-time subject again. I mean, if I want to know the history then I'll google the event. There is no point in memorizing it. No understanding is required. I can just jump in anywhere and start reading. History is near the top of the list in the waste of time and money degrees.


I wholeheartedly disagree with you statement here. History is an important subject to learn because it is not the study of events in a vacuum, but instead the chain of causality linking events that has shaped our society and understanding. Also any good history teacher shouldn't be making you memorize dates, they should be making you think about the progress of groups and people over time.

Additionally for anyone else who is interested my experience with high-school history was different than that of metal4eva_22. In grade 6 we were taught about native history up until the arrival of europeans, and then french and english settlement up until The Conquest. In grade 7 we then studied our history from the conquest up until confederation. Grade 8 was Confederation to WW1 and grade 10 was WW1 to present. Then we had the opportunity to take either world, medeval, or American history in grade 11 -- which i took American.

Now as for my university history education I took(in order): American history 1865-present, Canadian History 1867-present, Canadian History pre-1867, Canadian Military History, American history pre-1865, History of the First World War, History of the Second World War, The History of the American Presidential Campaign, Canadian History 1945-1960, American History 1945-1960, American History 1945-Present, American History in the 1950's, The History of the Conservative Ascendancy, The History of the Canadian West, and Canadian Cultural History. Though I might have forgotten one or two classes I took. I think this was a much more effective way to learn history than in high-school, because I was able to look at similar periods through different angles as I progressed through my degree, which shaped and re-shaped my understanding of the subject.
__________________
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Drmckool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #44
Bushinarin
UG Senior Member
 
Bushinarin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmckool
I wholeheartedly disagree with you statement here. History is an important subject to learn because it is not the study of events in a vacuum, but instead the chain of causality linking events that has shaped our society and understanding. Also any good history teacher shouldn't be making you memorize dates, they should be making you think about the progress of groups and people over time.

Additionally for anyone else who is interested my experience with high-school history was different than that of metal4eva_22. In grade 6 we were taught about native history up until the arrival of europeans, and then french and english settlement up until The Conquest. In grade 7 we then studied our history from the conquest up until confederation. Grade 8 was Confederation to WW1 and grade 10 was WW1 to present. Then we had the opportunity to take either world, medeval, or American history in grade 11 -- which i took American.

Now as for my university history education I took(in order): American history 1865-present, Canadian History 1867-present, Canadian History pre-1867, Canadian Military History, American history pre-1865, History of the First World War, History of the Second World War, The History of the American Presidential Campaign, Canadian History 1945-1960, American History 1945-1960, American History 1945-Present, American History in the 1950's, The History of the Conservative Ascendancy, The History of the Canadian West, and Canadian Cultural History. Though I might have forgotten one or two classes I took. I think this was a much more effective way to learn history than in high-school, because I was able to look at similar periods through different angles as I progressed through my degree, which shaped and re-shaped my understanding of the subject.


Wow dude! I'm so jealous that you were able to focus your history degree on one area of the world in particular. In my university, we had to take courses from all over the place, so there was no real continuity. It took until the very end before I was able to piece together an understanding of world events as a whole. I think the all over the place history degree was because I double-majored in education.

Also, I agree with you so strongly about learning history. You've summed up a large degree of how I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot5678
I wasn't complaining, I was just pointing out that it's not really world history and is basically European history.

Based on what kids have told me the world history course becomes a cluster**** whenever they did talk about somewhere outside of Europe. Which is obvious, but I won't insult your intelligence by explaining it to you.

Edit: Have we discussed this before?


I had experience in an ELL classroom on world history last year, and there was zero continuity. The teacher was not so great, but I don't want to badmouth teachers I've worked with via the internet because it seems unprofessional. In any case, we jumped from Native Americans to Africa, to Asia, to Europe... all in the span of days. There was too much information to cover in any kind of depth (and it didn't help that every student was an ELL, which didn't really bother me, but made it more difficult).

Also I vaguely remember talking about this with you before, but it was like one year ago.
__________________
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.


# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,

Last edited by Bushinarin : 11-22-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Bushinarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #45
willT08
Banned
 
willT08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
In England it goes Normans > Tudors > World Wars

More or less. The Princes in the Tower always seems to get a mention as well.
willT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #46
metalblaster
UG Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
Canadian history is shorter than USA history. I just had to do one HS credit. Got it and never thought about that waste-of-time subject again. I mean, if I want to know the history then I'll google the event. There is no point in memorizing it. No understanding is required. I can just jump in anywhere and start reading. History is near the top of the list in the waste of time and money degrees.

Well, depends how many history classes you can take at your school. Back in my day there wasn't much variety. Now I'm hearing they got all sorts of history courses.

But for us its started from when the Vikings landed in Newfoundland, to the French colonizing upper and lower Canada, then the English coming, then blah blah and it goes on. Then the first world war, then a huge emphasis on the second world war, mainly because we kicked ass, also an even bigger emphasis about D-Day. Then the cold war, some political history. I went to a French speaking high school so there were many classes about the FLQ and separatism and then they just sort of shifted it to current events and whatnot and they sort of mix things up from then on.
metalblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #47
Assid Rane
negro plz
 
Assid Rane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by flxjhnlrssn
Fun fact:

American population ancestry (% of population):

German 15%
Irish 11%
African American 9%
English 9%
American 7%
Mexican 6%
Italian 6%
Polish 3%
French 3%
American Indian 3%
Scottish 2%
Dutch 2%
Norwegian 2%
Scotch-Irish 1%
Swedish 1%



Yeah, I'm bored

wut
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
"Trans Princess". You're bitching over nothing, and you know it.
Assid Rane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #48
LostLegion
resurrected
 
LostLegion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
They teach Irish history here. It's stuff like the Neolithic times from way far back.
__________________
LIVERPOOL F.C.


LostLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #49
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
 
rockingamer2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rainy Northwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
Canadian history is shorter than USA history. I just had to do one HS credit. Got it and never thought about that waste-of-time subject again. I mean, if I want to know the history then I'll google the event. There is no point in memorizing it. No understanding is required. I can just jump in anywhere and start reading. History is near the top of the list in the waste of time and money degrees.

Do you seriously believe that a history degree means you're really good at memorizing stuff. Also, who wrote the stuff you are reading?
__________________
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #50
ThrashUnleashed
caught w/the wack calzone
 
ThrashUnleashed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ON, Canada
I enjoy learning Canadian history.
It's pretty much like, the age of exploration and the first people to come here. Then colonization, all that stuff with the french and the british, the war of 1812, our confederation, the red river resistance and Louis Riel, stuff like that.

Also, it's come to my understanding after going to the States and meeting American people that they seem to think that they won the war of 1812. To any americans here, you are aware that we won, right?
ThrashUnleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #51
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
 
rockingamer2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rainy Northwest
The War of 1812 was briefly mentioned as a war between England and the United States. But I do know that the White House got burned down and you guys stopped a US invasion of Canada. So technically, the US and Canada are 1-0.
__________________
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #52
ThrashUnleashed
caught w/the wack calzone
 
ThrashUnleashed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ON, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2
The War of 1812 was briefly mentioned as a war between England and the United States. But I do know that the White House got burned down and you guys stopped a US invasion of Canada. So technically, the US and Canada are 1-0.


We really only learned the parts of the war which involved us, which is that we stopped the US from invading, which in turn preserved our rights to speak French and such, so it's pretty much taught as a victory for us. Even though the war was technically between the States and Britain.

But some people do think that the US successfully invaded Canada.
ThrashUnleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #53
SkepsisMetal
./.\.
 
SkepsisMetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Greatest Britain
Once you get past the basic first year or 2 in school, you choose the field you want to study and there's quite a lot.
Prehistory up to modern, crossing with archaeology, medical history, political history etc.
I did medieval at college which encompassed the Norman/Viking invasions up to the end of the Crusades
__________________
.
SkepsisMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #54
YoTimDog
tips fedora
 
YoTimDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bethungra, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_j
Did you fall asleep from year 8 to year 12?
Man, we had Aboriginal history crammed down our throats. Everything from the instant genocide that occurred when the first fleet arrived, to the Stolen Generations to the 1967 referendum and everything in between them.


Oh, yeah, we did all of that. I was just saying that we weren't taught anything that predates the late 1700s, apart from maybe the Rainbow Serpent in kindy.

Hope that cleared it up.
YoTimDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #55
suckersdream
Registered User
 
suckersdream's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: hanging out with other unicorns
Australian history, despite lasting all of 200 years, somehow gets stretched into an whole 2-year course. Years 9 and 10. Nearly killed me, most boring history class I've ever done. It was mostly about Aboriginal rights. I liked Australian history in primary school though, cause you do the Aborginal dreamtime stuff and in year 3, when doing the first fleet, we got to go to Sydney all dressed up.
suckersdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #56
Duffman123
A cookie full of arsenic
 
Duffman123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Northern Ireland
Currently studying history (not university level) and am a tad disappointed at how much it focuses on recent European History. As interesting as Western history is I would love to be given the opportunity to study Japanese, Chinese, Indian history given how culturally rich those nations history is. But idk maybe it would be too difficult for us Westerns to study Eastern history considering how much their culture differs from ours.
Initially I was put off history in shcool after having learnt about The Vikings, Battle of Hastings and Irish history, which doesn't really interest me.
Duffman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:36 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.