Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-12-2012, 11:28 PM   #21
lemurflames
Ronnie

I'm about to buy a used guitar online this week. Now I'm scared.
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #22
offcell

Man that gigbag must have been manhandled. There's no way dropping it from a normal height would cause that kind of damage. I've fell off a bike with a gigbag, guitar hitting the ground first, and it wasn't so bad. Seems like it should be on the shipping company to pay for it, but I guess they don't care unless the sender had purchased insurance. By the way, you should write the name of the shipping company.

Of course, airplane luggage handlers are even worse, and the flight companies truly don't give a crap about your guitar.

Last edited by offcell : 11-13-2012 at 07:45 AM.
offcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #23
DarkHorseJ27

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcell
Man that gigbag must have been manhandled. There's no way dropping it from a normal height would cause that kind of damage. I've fell off a bike with a gigbag, guitar hitting the ground first, and it wasn't so bad. Seems like it should be on the shipping company to pay for it, but I guess they don't care unless the sender had purchased insurance. By the way, you should write the name of the shipping company.

Of course, airplane luggage handlers are even worse, and the flight companies truly don't give a crap about your guitar.

You are correct. It wasn't dropped, it looks a lot more like something very heavy was tossed on top of it at some point. Very common occurrence with any shipper. Depending on the courier, they won't pay out claims even if it was insured if it wasn't properly packed. From what the original poster described, it was not.

Since it was through ebay you can send the guitar back for a refund, even if the seller doesn't want to do that, and he'd be the only one out any money. If you decide to keep it and try to get a partial refund for the damages I'm not sure how'd that go. The seller may not like the idea, but he didn't pack it correctly and the alternative is end up with a damaged guitar and no money.
DarkHorseJ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #24
ne14t

Not to burst your bubble buy I deal with distribution all day long and the seller has absolutely no fault here if they packaged it up as requested, unfortunately for the purchaser the seller is not required to ship it in any special packaging unless agreed upon and paid for by the purchaser.

This is a matter that should be taken up with whoever delivered the package, and then if you didn't purchase any form of insurance for it while it was being shipped you are pretty much up shits creek with no paddle. I don't see how people think you could return it to the seller because it was off eBay, I mean if he can provide proof it wasn't damaged before it went out his door what makes you think he would have to take a return on the item?

TL;DR - To the OP get in touch with the seller and then both of you go after the shipping company for an insurance claim.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #25
JayCartay

The seller is refunding me but not for another week or so. I'm just going to treat this as a try before you buy for this model of guitar.
JayCartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

that sucks

hopefully ebay will find in your favour

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #27
DarkHorseJ27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14t
Not to burst your bubble buy I deal with distribution all day long and the seller has absolutely no fault here if they packaged it up as requested, unfortunately for the purchaser the seller is not required to ship it in any special packaging unless agreed upon and paid for by the purchaser.

This is a matter that should be taken up with whoever delivered the package, and then if you didn't purchase any form of insurance for it while it was being shipped you are pretty much up shits creek with no paddle. I don't see how people think you could return it to the seller because it was off eBay, I mean if he can provide proof it wasn't damaged before it went out his door what makes you think he would have to take a return on the item?

TL;DR - To the OP get in touch with the seller and then both of you go after the shipping company for an insurance claim.

I did say it depended on the courier, but many will not honor insurance claims if the package was not packed to their specifications. The seller is under no obligation to pack it in any particular way, but it would have been very wise to pack it much better than he did.

Furthermore, the buyer can return the guitar to the seller because he did not receive it in the condition disclosed at auction, even though it wasn't the sellers fault. Even if that wasn't true, eBay almost always sides with the buyer anyways.

Should the buyer choose to send back the guitar for a refund it will happen whether the seller wants to or not. When that happens it will be the seller who has to go after the courier for compensation. Shipping companies do not like to pay out claims, so if they determine the guitar was not packaged well enough they will just say tough luck. This is why it is very prudent, as a seller, to pack well and to have proof of how well you packed it, so you don't get burned.

The courier is the bad guy in this whole situation, but they are also the biggest player involved, so you are kind of forced to play by their rules should you choose to use their services.
DarkHorseJ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #28
JayCartay

Well...... I've ended up keeping it!

On the day I was due to have a courier pick it up to send it back I told the guy I was interested in finding out what he'd actually want for it now as it is. Basically, I got it for under 90.

It's not the lovely pristine guitar it should have been, but the amount I got back on it has allowed me to buy a Prestige neck for the RG2570 I am slowly building. Everyone's a winner.

Might get it repaired next year, might not. We'll see!
'85 Ibanez Roadstar II RS430
Vintage V300
Epiphone Dot with upgrades
Peavey Milestone III Bass
Peavey Classic VT100
Boss BD-2, DD-7, CH-1
JayCartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #29
SteveHOC
Used Register

I'm not normally a fan of the "relic" practice, but now you can feel free to beat the hell out of the thing without fear of damaging it. Enjoy that sense of freedom, and as long as it plays well I'd say you came out ahead in the whole thing!
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:12 AM   #30
ConcertShooter
Banned

Be careful regarding ebay reputation. I was going to buy a violin from a guy until I did some further research and found it to be a fake just from the pictures that he posted. I then looked at his reputation and almost all of it was from people HE HAD PURCHASED ITEMS FROM, not what he had sold. So be sure to look at the reputation and determine whether it's been made from sales or purchases as ebay doesn't separate them.
ConcertShooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: