Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
rXp

Question Question about Saffire PRO 24

Hi,

I looked at the sticky about the recording interfaces and found the Saffire that seems very nice and in my price range. The model described in the sticky is not on the shelves anymore and so I looked for another of the same family and I found the PRO 24.
I have a couple of questions about it :
The first question is simply : Are the Saffire Family still a good choice for a good and not to pricy Recording Interface ?
I saw on the picture that it uses xlr 3-pin connector to connect the guitar but I don't have that and I am looking for a cable jack->xlr do you have any do-not-buy brand (for the cable)?
Oh and the last question, I cannot connect my amp to the Saffire right ? (yes it is preamp but I never used more than amp or pedal so I am learning)

Thank you for your help,

Best regards,

rXp>!<
rXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

The Saffire range is still a great interface to get though, at this point, there are no Windows 8 Drivers and Focusrite has released a replacement USB interface for it (the Scarlett 18i6). I believe either way, you'll be fine but don't be shocked if they don't release Windows 8 Drivers for it. I'm hoping they do since I've got a Pro 40 & I'd love to know its being supported into the future.

If you look at the input, you'll notice its not quite a typical XLR in and has a 1/4" hole in the middle of it. You'd just plug your guitar into that, no XLR needed.

You can hook your amp up to it but you're probably better off just using an amp simulator. They've gotten those things down nowadays.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
rXp

Oh that's why the input seemed a bit odd. And don't worry I am using windows 7 and linux otherwise.
Thanl you for the answers, do you have any special advice about this recording interface ?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Other than its worth the money and a great investment, not really. You do have a FireWire card or an available spot for one, right?

I've got the Pro 40 and I love it. The difference in sound between it and the other interfaces I've used is like night & day difference.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
rXp

I have a firewire input on my motherboard no problem with that but by curiosity the Scarlet Family is the same products with USB output ?
Old 12-13-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by rXp
I have a firewire input on my motherboard no problem with that but by curiosity the Scarlet Family is the same products with USB output ?

The Scarletts are essentially the new gen of Saffire. They have a few new features and are designed to be supported for Windows 8. Think of Scarlett as the replacement. Yeah, Saffire will still work. (I've a Saffire 6 myself.) However, if you can afford the Scarletts, then I say get that.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: