Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
95thFallout
Dave Grohl's the Man

Overdrive Pedal for DSL

Hey guys whats up. Im looking for a new od pedal or many to replace my or go along with my zakk wylde od. I looking for anything that you guys are fond of but i also wanna get an od that can push my amp into pantera esque tones as the zakk wylde just doesn't have that thick enough crunch to it. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
monwobobbo

try a Digitech Hardwire tube cm-2 overdrive. has a switch to up the gain and can of course do the tubescreamer thing as well. keep in mind that dime used a solid state amp for the most part and they sound different than a marshall for sure.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monwobobbo
try a Digitech Hardwire tube cm-2 overdrive. has a switch to up the gain and can of course do the tubescreamer thing as well. keep in mind that dime used a solid state amp for the most part and they sound different than a marshall for sure.

This.

Good options to try are:

Hardwire CM-2
Way Huge Green Rhino
DigiTech Bad Monkey
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Maxon OD808
MXR Distortion Plus

Your best bet is to either take your amp and guitar to a store or find one that has your amp (still take YOUR guitar) and then try a bunch.

What amp are you using?
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

STOP! In the name of love.. for music..

I have a JCM DSL100. And tubed with some JJs and pushed with a transparent OD works really well. Now, I dont know if you will ever make a DSL sound like Dime. But it definitely adds a lot of balls.

I grabbed a Zendrive clone from a fellow UGer. He built it and it sounds great. Not sure how close to a zendrive it is, but I cant imagine any pedal much better. Greeny makes some bad ass effects.
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
3volved

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95thFallout
Hey guys whats up. Im looking for a new od pedal or many to replace my or go along with my zakk wylde od. I looking for anything that you guys are fond of but i also wanna get an od that can push my amp into pantera esque tones as the zakk wylde just doesn't have that thick enough crunch to it. Thanks.

You're right, the Wylde OD has a more rounded bottom end and subtle highs, which is why I love it. If you want a Dime sound, look at the MXR Fullbore Metal, I found that to be about as close to Dime's tone as you'll get. I always found his tone to be thin and harsh, never really liked it that much to be honest.
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
3volved is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: