Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
ChibiTaengoo

Taylor 214CE Sound Improvement

I have bought this guitar for a good 3-4 months already and I honestly love the guitar. But I have found out sometimes my guitar would sound Thin and Twangy (if u know wat i mean)

I have asked some friend who also play'd guitar and they said i should change the pick up system or add a Soundhole Pickup to improve and make it sound more Acoustic.

What should i do?

Strings: Elixir PB Light Gauge (if this is any help)

Appreciate all answers and suggestions.

Off Topic Question: I did not get a set up on this guitar before since i bought it, should i bring it for a setup?

Thank You

Last edited by ChibiTaengoo : 12-12-2012 at 06:04 AM.
ChibiTaengoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Artemis Entreri
Panned

The 214 (and most Taylors, but the 100/200 series in particular) are pretty thin and twangy. That's the nature of them. Now are you saying it sounds thin and twangy when plugged in or acoustically? If you're complaining about the acoustic tone, ain't nothin gonna change that. You could swap the nut, saddle and bridge pins for bone or brass and get a little more fullness to your tone but the fundamental tone of the guitar will remain the same. If you're complaining about the plugged in sound well... It's pretty, excuse my language but I've had to do it twice, ****ING ANNOYING to get the ES system out of a Taylor. Since this isn't the full ES, it might be a little easier however.

I don't think you could add a second pickup to the 214's onboard transducer but you could swap the pickup system out for something dual source which would sound a little more natural wheter it was a pickup and a transducer or a mic and a transducer. That being said, I would try using a preamp/DI first. They can do wonders for EQing, compressing and revererating your tone before it leaves you and goes to the house/PA/amp.

As for the set up, does it feel like anything is wrong with the set up? Strings too high? Too low? Buzzing notes? If not, no.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712

Last edited by Artemis Entreri : 12-12-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Artemis Entreri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
ChibiTaengoo

when I say its thin and twangy its for acoustically because i tried plugged in and like you said it sounds beautiful. I have researched and many people said the taylor 214ce bridge pin is cheap and not so good and i should change it to the Ebony with Pearl dot (something like that) should i try changing the bridge pins?

what do you mean by switching the system dual source for a pickup and a transducer or a mic and a transducer (never tried these so im kinda new.)

As for setup, the action seems fine to me, but when im playing i often hear a buzzing sound sometimes from the fret and sometimes on the bridge part. Im sure i am fretting the keys right so it shouldn't buzz. should i bring my guitar to a Luthier to have a check to see if it needs a setup or a few tweaks?

I mainly picked Taylor guitars is because brightness is their signature sound .

Example: /

I know my guitar and her's is two different type of model and wood but its both taylor. Her guitar doesn't sound overly bright and thin and twangy IMO.
Would doing some of the change u mention would bring my guitar to sound simliar to hers?
Old 12-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Artemis Entreri
Panned

I've played Taylor guitars since 08, bud. I know

Bridge pins make a bit of difference, but not huge. Saddle and nut changes will make more of a difference, but once again they're quite subtle. The guitar will still sound fundamentally the same; you can't add something that isn't there. I've tried for years to get a deeper tone out of my 712 and careful tweaking of the individual string gauges, alloys, nut and saddle material along with changed playing technique have somewhat gotten the results I desire. At the end of the day, it's still the same guitar though.

As for the dual source pickup system... instead of having one signal for your pickup ie a magnetic one in the soundhole or a bridge transducer like yours some have both a mic and a transducer or a magnetic and a pickup. You can then blend best of both to get a more realistic sound.

If it's buzzing that either means your fingers aren't really fretting correctly, you're playing too hard (which could account for the twang) or the action truly is too low and needs to be adjusted. I've cranked the action up on mine over the years. Couldn't hurt to take it to someone to get looked at.

Like I've been saying this whole time, nothing will really change the sound of your guitar. Some things might enhance sustain or you might get a slightly clearer tone but the guitar is going to sound the way it does. You could consider changing your playing style, moving your picking more towards the neck, that should even out the sound a bit.

The first video looks like a GC4 which has the same woods as your guitar, yes, but is a different instrument. Each of Taylor's series sound different. Though that honestly doesn't sound mellow enough for a 4 to me.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Old 12-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
stepchildusmc

i would start looking into humidity issues. does it sound more twangy when your in a drier room? when its been out of its case for a few days? my Taylor is very sensitive to humidity.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
i would start looking into humidity issues. does it sound more twangy when your in a drier room? when its been out of its case for a few days? my Taylor is very sensitive to humidity.

It's like 85% laminate...... Maybe in the deadest of winter would you need a humidifier or perhaps if you live Texas, Arizona or the rest of the south west.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
stepchildusmc

its freakin' 15 degrees here in NY. its possible that chibi lives somewhere cold already like me.
i don't leave mine out of its case unless i'm playing it this time of year. even with 2 humidifiers in my guitar room, it's more sensitive than my others it seems.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #8
ChibiTaengoo

Im not doubting ur knowledge for taylors Artemis, but im just a 2-3 month player xD so im still learning. I understand where your coming from on no matter how you tweak at the end of the day its still gonna be the same guitar with sound.

Does a GC4 sound good (dont think that is a GC4 is it? I looked up at MusicianFriends and it has a clear pickguard and a different head, or did it change?? I think its a Taylor Custom GC)and how is it compared to the 214CE?

I might try it out next time when i head to my local music store and maybe I could switch it if its the sound I wanted since i still got a week more of return/exchange policy :P. Is it good for fingerstyle??

Hmm I live at Canada, it is starting to get cold but not as cold as your place Stepchild, like -1 to -6 degree max atm. I dont leave it out of my case really cuz when I finish playing, I'll put it back straight into my case.

Last edited by ChibiTaengoo : 12-14-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:36 AM   #9
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Sorry I actually meant gA. I play a concert so I always write that. The 414ce is my favorite Taylor model outside of the "professional series" or 700, 800 and 900. It's a lot better balanced. The GA4 is a purely acoustic version of the 414. Same goes for every gc, ga and gs. X12, X14 and X16. No pickup, no cutAway and a slotted headstock.

Any guitar can be good for fingerstyle. I like Taylor's feel a lot.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712

Last edited by Artemis Entreri : 12-14-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:54 AM   #10
ChibiTaengoo

oh okay, so what do you think about the GC4 comparison to 214CE? would you say the GC4 is similar to the vid examples i showed you? how is the sound quality?( i know its really personal preference but i just wanna hear wat ur thoughts about it)

I asked my local store and they said it was out of stock but if i want it they can order it from Taylor (if you were in my situation would you do it?)

can you name some pro's and con's about the GC4, besides the other things u mention earlier?

Last edited by ChibiTaengoo : 12-14-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiTaengoo
oh okay, so what do you think about the GC4 comparison to 214CE? would you say the GC4 is similar to the vid examples i showed you? how is the sound quality?( i know its really personal preference but i just wanna hear wat ur thoughts about it)

I asked my local store and they said it was out of stock but if i want it they can order it from Taylor (if you were in my situation would you do it?)

can you name some pro's and con's about the GC4, besides the other things u mention earlier?

It's almost impossible to tell how an instrument sounds from a video. None of the subtleties that make it unique are present. I would say it would get you closer since I THINK those are GA4s. Not GC, mind you, GA4s. The GC4 is the same as the 212CE (which doesn't exist anymore). GC = grand concert, GA = grand auditorium and GS = grand symphony. X12 = grand concert, X14 = grand auditorium and X16 = grand symphony.

These are all things you have to decide for yourself. Though I can say in confidence the GA4/414CE are both significantly better than the 214CE. I can't give you an opinion on it because at the very best I compare it to my custom Taylor and at worst I compare it to Lowdens and McPhersons. It is much better than your 214 however. If you like the style of the 214,you might try the 414. They're similar, though voiced a little differently.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Old 12-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
ChibiTaengoo

the guitar she is using is a Taylor Custom GC not a GA4, lol just found out on one of her videos with her telling her guitar model :P

Whats the difference between a GA4 and a GC4?? (besides the Body Size)
Old 12-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiTaengoo
the guitar she is using is a Taylor Custom GC not a GA4, lol just found out on one of her videos with her telling her guitar model :P

Whats the difference between a GA4 and a GC4?? (besides the Body Size)

Body size. That's basically what I've said in my last two posts.If it's a custom GC that means it's a BTO. Unless she's lying. Spruce and rosewood of some sort. EG GC4 copy. Probably modled on a GC8 or 9 without the frils though.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712

Rate This Thread: