Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Punk & Ska
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-11-2012, 02:14 AM   #1
Ticket48
-Thread Killer-

Ska Music Critique

Hey guys, I would appreciate a tiny bit of help. I need to write a critique of a song (everything from it's influences were and where it's sound came from, to it's production, to what it influenced) and I was hoping to use a ska song (third wave-ish). Personally, I would love to do What I Got by Sublime. However, I'm not sure there's enough information to really get the paper done well.

I came here wondering if other people had suggestions for highly influential or controversial ska songs?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Ticket48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
sargasm
1977 and we are going mad

I'm sorry to tell you that isn't a ska song. Although Sublime had a demonstrably ska influence, that song is not a ska song. It wouldn't really be possible for you to create that link. You could try using a song of theirs that has a ska element, such as Santeria.

I have no idea what kind of paper that is or what level of schooling you are in, but you may consider trying to find something with a lot of secondary source material to back it up, like interviews, etc. That may limit your song choices but it would help you produce a better paper in the end.
sargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
Ticket48
-Thread Killer-

I meant that in more of a "if I could do any song it would be that" kind of way. But, I don't think I could pull it off, so now I'm interested in third wave ska song.

I don't really know the level of paper this is either (it's for college) since I haven't done one before. A lot of the papers I write are science based (lab reports or summaries) so it's a very different writing style. I've read the examples the professor gave us and I basically can write on any relevant information to the song. So anything that influenced the creation of the song to what the song means.

I just feel a lot of third wave ska bands don't have a ton of relevant information on their songs. I could be very wrong about this, but that's why I brought the question here. What better place than a music forum after all.

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join

Last edited by Ticket48 : 12-11-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Ticket48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Rebel Scum

Third wave ska?

By Sublime I'd recommend Wrong Way. Has quite a story to it that you could write about in terms of the low-socio-economic issues within.

Or The Specials 'Done to much much too young' for exactly the same reasons.
Rebel Scum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
InstantAXonHero

Just listen to 'Streetlight Manifesto' and try not to kill yourself.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
n.grecs

"Money" by Choking Victim has a really interesting interview at the beginning of it. It's about how cops spend more money finding bank robbers than they stole from the bank.
n.grecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Greenfinger182
Drunk Dancin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticket48
I just feel a lot of third wave ska bands don't have a ton of relevant information on their songs. I could be very wrong about this, but that's why I brought the question here. What better place than a music forum after all.

Not too kill your paper, but not a whole lot of third-wave ska is very deep.
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Greenfinger182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: