Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
katalyzt13

Question about choosing an acoustic...

Okay, I'm in the process of shopping for a new acoustic (again). I had asked previously but at the time was seriously hooked on the idea of slimmer acoustics - now I'm strongly leaning towards one of the newer Fender T-Buckets (I think they are 300CE models), and I wanted to see if anyone had any significant argument for or against that model?

I play a wide range of stuff, will be using the acoustic primarily with a pick (occasionally for fingerstyle) and will be using for recording. It is important to me that it is acoustic-electric so it can be amplified if necessary.

My budget is max 450$ firm, and I want to buy new.

Last edited by katalyzt13 : 12-13-2012 at 05:26 PM.
katalyzt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
mike_oxbig

library cards should be laminated. guitars should not.
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
mike_oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
katalyzt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_oxbig
library cards should be laminated. guitars should not.

do you have any good suggestions for non-laminate guitars in my price range?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Elderer
UG Member

yamaha APX series
Elderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
mike_oxbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalyzt13
do you have any good suggestions for non-laminate guitars in my price range?

There should be quite a few to choose from. For example:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar

I haven't played this guitar myself, but the use of real wood always makes the guitar sound better. If electronics aren't an absolute necessity right off the bat I'd recommend buying one without and installing a pickup at a later time when you have more money to spend.
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
stepchildusmc

450 will get you a lot of decent acoustic/electrics. not great but, workable. too bad about having to buy new, you can get better quality used ones in that range. are you looking for a dread style? jumbo? concert? grand auditorium style? sound volume or comfortability? and what kind of music will you primarily be using it for?
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
katalyzt13

Quote:
450 will get you a lot of decent acoustic/electrics. not great but, workable. too bad about having to buy new, you can get better quality used ones in that range. are you looking for a dread style? jumbo? concert? grand auditorium style? sound volume or comfortability? and what kind of music will you primarily be using it for?

As far as style it is just mandatory that it is acoustic-electric and that it has a single cutaway (I actually play up to about the 15th fret when I play acoustic regularly). Otherwise pretty flexible - I would say that I'm primarily concerned with comfort over volume after that, but my recent brush with slimmer acoustics seem to really affect more than just the volume - seems like it hurts the sustain and you have to EQ the crap out of it when you record to get a good sound. I seriously play a WIDE range of styles, from classic country to thrash metal - this guy will have to be a work horse and cover all the acoustic parts for all of these genres. We'll say acoustic rock as a focal point. My concern with laminate vs. non-laminate is I've read that non-laminate at the lower price range is usually crappier than the laminate at that price range till you get up to 600 - 700 and above.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
mike_oxbig

to put it into perspective...would you rather own a bare-bones BMW or a kia with power windows and heated seats?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
katalyzt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_oxbig
to put it into perspective...would you rather own a bare-bones BMW or a kia with power windows and heated seats?

hmmm...I'm not sure your metaphor translates. Using better materials poorly executed vs. using mediocre materials well executed isn't the same as a bare-bones BMW vs. a tricked out Kia...

Real wood on cheaper acoustics tends to not be "treated" appropriately and lower grade, which results in the instrument aging poorly resulting in cracks, problems with the binding, etc. Laminate guitars don't have the tonal potential that real wood has, but it is easier to produce a cheap but quality result.

I'm not saying that every cheaper non-laminate acoustic is going to suffer those problems, but it is something common with these products. Also, sometimes with cheaper acoustic-electrics that are non-laminate they make up for the price of the real wood by putting lower quality electronics in it. There are trade offs, and putting a value on them isn't always easy.

My focus is on a serviceable and affordable acoustic that will last. I have to buy new because I like having my warranties. My last 2 experiences with buying used acoustics was horrible.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:25 AM   #10
mike_oxbig

Who says they'll be poorly executed? I've owned several entry level solid wood guitars that were great for their price range, they're just not very flashy. I have a 300$ art & lutherie that has a solid top but laminated sides and back, and it's a big step up from a fully laminated one. Plus, it's been neglected its entire life...left outside, never humidified, banged and bumped excessively, not to mention passed around the campfire like a bag of marshmallows. Its still in one piece. I have a couple solid wood ones that need care and maintenance, but welcome to owning nice things. True for 450 You might not be getting AAA birds eye maple but at least it will be real wood and have that natural sound projection to it.

You'll do what you'll do, but if you're gonna spend 450$ on a brand name guitar with fake (but nice and shiney) quilted maple wood, plastic components and built in tuner/eq/preamp/alarm clock/bottle opener, chances are you'll one day own a kia. enjoy the heated seats.

Oh, and after re-reading this post, i've decided that a bottle opener on a guitar is actually a great idea. patent pending, assholes.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
stepchildusmc

and thats EXACTLY why me likes me Ovations ! i can use my carbon fiber Adamas like a hammer because nobody had the forethought to include a bottle opener on it !
Old 12-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
ghobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderer
yamaha APX series

Or the yamaha cpx or fgx series, takamine eg series, ibanez montage etc. A solid top is generally better(might not look as good though). There are lots to choose from, go out and try a bunch.
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
katalyzt13

I'm going to check out some of the solid tops now...still not sure where I'm gonna fall, but I appreciate all the feedback, etc.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
art4meonly

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalyzt13
I'm going to check out some of the solid tops now...still not sure where I'm gonna fall, but I appreciate all the feedback, etc.

Epiphone AJ220SCE Check it out. I use that guitar when I'm not using my Martin. It sounds so sweet (balanced tone, nice bass, ...). It feels nice in your hands and it has awesome electronics. It's like 185 but it sounds like a 300-400 guitar.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
katalyzt13

Right now I ran across a Lag Tramontane T200 and I think I'm gonna have to bump up my budget...
Old 12-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #16
stepchildusmc

nice guitar. haven't played any Lags yet. no dealer in my area( come to think of it... no dealers of anything(Legal) in my area). if you end up getting it, dont forget to post a HNGD so we can all drool over it.
Art...isn't that the one you were supposed to get for your girlfriend?? i mean i sometimes called my hand "girlfriend...or 'stranger' if i went lefty... but buying it a guitar??? that surpasses me carrying a picture of my hand in my wallet !!

Rate This Thread: