I have a slight preference for electronic instruments 4 2.67%
I have a strong preference for electronic instruments 1 0.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #101
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unourrit01
towards the argument of them being less talented because that is pretty much being said if you are saying it is easier to write their type of music. Most usually have a background playing "real" instruments.

EDIT: You as in the other side of the argument. Not you directly.

Ok, ok. Now I get it.

Btw, I hope you didn't think I was disagreeing or being condescending or whatever. I apologize if you thought any of those. I was mainly just trying to get a feel for your views.

Cool?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #102
Unourrit01
Rangers Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Ok, ok. Now I get it.

Btw, I hope you didn't think I was disagreeing or being condescending or whatever. I apologize if you thought any of those. I was mainly just trying to get a feel for your views.

Cool?

I actually thought that maybe I should clarify on that point but my mind wondered elsewhere haha.

Electronic music stuff. I don't know.
https://soundcloud.com/kills-bugs-dead
Unourrit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #103
Lord_Doku
ancient bass

I love both 'real' and electronic instruments. They both have their own part to fill, they can't substitute oneanother.
Lord_Doku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #104
Eastwinn
pulling empty hall alarms

i mean i just like how real instruments sound. if you have synth that can duplicate a real instrument to a point that i can't tell the difference then i am satisfied.

that said, the synth "sound" (as if there is only one style.. stay with me) definitely adds to a lot of songs with real instruments, but by itself i quickly lose interest. that said, i haven't really dabbled much in that area of music.
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #105
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I just can't understand this opinion at all. Your definition of musician must be seriously skewed or incorrect if you wouldn't apply it to somebody such as Richard D. James.

I admit my wording probably wasn't stellar. it's not that the one guy isn't a musician, it's that he's not utilizing the services of other musicians to play his music. I'd always rather eight musicians get paid than just one.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:03 PM   #106
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
I'd always rather eight musicians get paid than just one.

That would be ideal. I'm very conflicted with this issue. The availability of high end sample instruments are killing opportunities for live players in film sessions, and I directly facilitate that by developing and using these instruments. And yet at the end of the day, we all know there's nothing greater and more satisfying than a real performance. But no one wants to pay for it.

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #107
WCPhils
^^vv<><>BAStart

Quote:
Ok. What about using the synth setting on an electric keyboard? Real or not?

Well if he's actually playing a keyboard than sure I guess.

I just like the human element. I would be much more impressed with some who can do something really cool on the drums than someone who just programmed it into a computer.
Same with any instrument really

Plus, I don't really like the sound of electronic music. I've yet to hear a band/person/whatever that I really enjoy listening to. It's all personal preference though, idc what you like. More power to ya

Check out my...

YouTube

Last edited by WCPhils : 12-18-2012 at 03:11 PM.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #108
jjfeu662
Celestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
The 'real thing' implying Electronic music isn't real music?

Bingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinaflyingv
electronic music is for tasteless apes

Also true.
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs
ALL HAIL CELESTIA

Last edited by jjfeu662 : 12-18-2012 at 03:47 PM.
jjfeu662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #109
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

Because it takes practise.

show
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.

Last edited by treborillusion : 12-18-2012 at 03:52 PM.
treborillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #110
Thrashtastic15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
Supersaws are for Trance. Now I really want to hear your avant-garde Dubstep.

ill do avant garde dubstep when you teach skrillex how to play zappa fusion crunk core on xylophone.
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #111
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Quote:
I mean, really...as long as the end product (read: music) sounds good, who gives a shit whether the instrument was real or simulated?

People that enjoy the performance aspect of music. How hard is that to understand?

OT:

I really love this song, but I feel I would enjoy it so much more if it wasn't digitally created. It's hard to explain. The thought of gathering ~20 skilled musicians and having them create something beautiful is just a very romantic idea to me.

Original Wood&Strings Song

Last edited by StewieSwan : 12-18-2012 at 04:06 PM.
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #112
snipelfritz
UG's Beautiful Butterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
when shit like this starts happening... real, very real and only real instruments please.

Not sure what's worse, that Skrillex is on the list at all or that Annie Clarke is only #93. St. Vincent is bomb dig. Either way, I didn't read past the first page.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #113
Holy Katana
Anarcho-Awesomist

I have no preference, honestly. I know I'm sort of known as a total synth nut on here (or at least I was for a while -- I haven't really made any music in a while and I never post in the Electronic Label thread anymore, or even much outside of the Anime Thread and the Gaming Thread, so I probably don't have much of a reputation anymore other than "one of those creepy guys from the Anime Thread"), but I really like all sorts of instruments.

Anyway, here's a great quote from Jonny Greenwood on this subject from a Q&A that apparently was on their website:

Quote:
QUESTION:
Kid A was a total change of direction for the band. Was everyone committed to this new direction? How did Jonny feel about focussing more on keyboards than guitar?

ANSWER:
I don't remember much time playing keyboards. It was more an obsession with sound, speakers, the whole artifice of recording. I see it like this: a voice into a microphone onto a tape, onto your CD, through your speakers is all as illusory and fake as any synthesizer - it doesn't put Thom in your front room - but one is perceived as 'real' the other, somehow 'unreal'. I'm straying from the point. What was the point ? Well, it's the same with guitars versus samplers. It was just freeing to discard the notion of accoustic sounds being truer. The inverted snobbery amongst some people even extends to keyboards. Mellotrons are 'truer' than Synths, apparently. But remember that hearing a band rehearse will never be the same coming from two speakers. That's fine. Of course, you want your music still to sound beatiful, or to somehow make you react. It's not about just spuring tradition, or rationalizing rubbish because it's 'different'. SO we'll still fill tapes with violins and guitars as much as anything else. Whatever sounds cool. Whatever isn't boring. Whatever is addictive.And ANYWAY There's nothing like a guitar for physically making music - like a drumkit for making rhythms - so I don't get bored playing the thing. I've been telling people, glibly, that there's so little guitar on the new stuff because there are only five Pixies albums, and there are other sounds out there. They hit at their instruments in striving to not be boring - whilst avoiding muso drudgery. Remember the advert The Pixies placed to get Kim Deal (the only applicant):"Band into Husker Du and Peter, Paul and Mary seeks bass player. No Chops."

Didn't edit the typos or cut anything out, so just pretend there's one gigantic "[sic]" after it. You can find a redacted form of it floating around a lot more, but this is the full thing.

Tumblr
Beer Tumblr
Last.fm
Soundcloud

PSN: rhizomaticnomad
Steam: HolyKatana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
[...] well-contoured females [...]
Holy Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #114
snipelfritz
UG's Beautiful Butterfly

God I love Johnny Greenwood.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #115
willT08
Rap Game Joan Fontaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by treborillusion
Because it takes practise.

show

It takes practice to get good at synthesis.

Kind of a bitch when you've gotta make your sound before you can learn how to play it.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #116
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

if the sound and/or production is of an appropriate standard and the tone isn't awful, im indifferent
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #117
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
That would be ideal. I'm very conflicted with this issue. The availability of high end sample instruments are killing opportunities for live players in film sessions, and I directly facilitate that by developing and using these instruments. And yet at the end of the day, we all know there's nothing greater and more satisfying than a real performance. But no one wants to pay for it.

yeah. unfortunately, session work is dead in that realm. it kind of parallels a lot of labor problems in this country. technology replacing people. when it comes to live performance is my main concern. but I'm not too worried because the demand may be smaller for live bands, but like you said nothing beats the real thing. I went to a wedding with an iPod DJ at the reception. it was pretty lame and everyone knew it. everybody got into the Cupid Shuffle and Cha Cha slide and that was about it. otherwise no dancing. live bands can make the difference between a sufficient party and a fun, memorable party.

what bugs me more than public tastes changing and budgets shrinking is the motherfuckers who will play for little to no money because it's a fun hobby. some people like woodworking as a hobby. doesn't mean you have to actively attempt to put the union carpenters out of work.

Rate This Thread: