Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Which would you recommend?
Line6 Pod HD500 13 36.11%
Boss GT-100 5 13.89%
Rocktron Utopia G300 0 0%
Zoom G5 9 25.00%
Digitech RP1000 4 11.11%
Vox Tonelab EX 3 8.33%
Other 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #21
FenderBluesAAA

I have heard the pod sound much better on YouTube.
FenderBluesAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #22
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBluesAAA
The HD500... One of the worst tones I have heard and that is why I have some questions. Something must have been wrong because I don't see how it could be so popular if it sounds like this. It is so digital.
A quick demo between units can be deceptive unless you are familiar with multifx options like cab models and global output settings among other things. A quirk with the G5 is that gain settings are overdone and often need to be dialed back. It could be just random that the settings on a unit happen to be best for whatever amplification used at the time.

I too found it easier to dial in good tones with my G5 vs my HD500. Unfortunately due to an illness in my family I haven't hardly touched my gear much in a while and haven't put enough time in my HD500 to feel qualified to give a good eval of how it compares to the G5.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #23
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Wait what exactly do you plan on using the pedal for home? Gigging? Recording? What amp are you using?
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:42 AM   #24
Offworld92
One among the fence.

The Pod HD is pretty much the best MFX out there right now for amp modeling. So if you are actually going to use the amp models and not just the FX, definitely the Pod.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:48 AM   #25
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

I do not see the need to buy the newest effect units any more this is 2012 15 or so year ago I had a RP 10 it replaced a dozen single pedals i had and over the years I've had 3-4 different units. ( broken/stole etc )

yeah things have gotten better more advanced easier to operate etc ,. but we are talking about tone here ,.. give all your options a listen is most important AND forget the marketing,.

Specially if money is tight or you want your own "special tone" check out the old models,

I have a Line6 x3 I'm not a fan of the line 6 HD's or check your music store or second hand shop for a bargain. if it less then 10 year old it's going to have ALL the effects and all the options

amp modeling is a different thing,. But still remember what your playing though is very important to the tone those final 2 stages YOUR amp and YOUR speakers plays a huge part in the tone.

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.

Last edited by T4D : 12-19-2012 at 04:54 AM.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #26
FenderBluesAAA

I plan on using it for home and recording. I would like it to be good enough to eventually use for gigging too. I'm looking for something that won't require me to use an amp.

Offworld92: I have heard that many times but it sounded awful when I tried it. I'm thinking I did something wrong. I was using headphones at the time. I have heard that the updates change the sound but I'm not sure if it would be that big of a difference. I'm going to go back and try it out again and see if I just had some sort of setting messed up.

About the pod HD. Do you guys find yourself tweaking for long periods of time? If so, that is not my thing. I don't mind spending some time. But I want to be playing more and tweaking less.

I'm not a fan of Line6's past modeling. I've heard amazing tones but it takes me hours to tweak a simple tone. And I would like something with updated technology. I hear a difference between the new models coming out now and the previous ones.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #27
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

If you were to get a G5 over an HD500 I don't think you would have any regrets. Not only will you save money but you already thought it sounded good. I have both and wrt amp models an FX I could easily live with the G5. It's the difference in features that are important to check as well.

Also I agree with T4D wrt older models. I bought a XT Live cheap in a package deal and sold it. But it sounded great while I used it. I just had my other equipment and didn't need it.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #28
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBluesAAA
I plan on using it for home and recording. I would like it to be good enough to eventually use for gigging too. I'm looking for something that won't require me to use an amp.

if you first plan on doing recording ,.don't buy a effect unit just make sure you have a good usb audio interface ( you may already have one ? ) and check out the VST amp sim plugins
here first for the complete link list then here for a current thread of the subject

the advantages of VST is you record a clean signal ( no clipping no distortion ) then you add your effects, amp speaker tone & mic placement this gives you the option of completely changing your tone afterwards or refine your tone.

when you go live get the gear that fits that gig, I think a all round prefect solution is not out there untill there a rack mount PC and software to control all the VST's in a live situation. because VST do sound amazing now adays..

even if you get a HD or eleven you may find a better tone when recording in Ampilitube or something that was free or $20.. So why jump up to Eleven straight away before you even start recording ?

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #29
whyze250f
UG's OCD resident.

I had a G3X which has the same modelling as the G5 just less effects, and i ended up exchanging it for a pod hd300 which has the same modelling as the hd500 but less features.

Now this could be my set of headphones but I ran both as stand alone units through my audio technica ath-m45's. I found the the higher gain modelling on the G3X was good until i really started to want to dial it in; that's when I realized that you can take away the sizzle from the gain.

I personally think the modelling on the line6 is much better, but if I must say the zoom still had great effects, and their clean-mid gain models were awesome.

That being said it could be possible that its just my headphones, but they have a pretty flat eq...so idk.
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300

Last edited by whyze250f : 12-20-2012 at 12:19 AM.
whyze250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #30
FenderBluesAAA

Thank you for all the replies.

I preferred the high-gain of the GT100 much more than the G5. A good metal tone (at least better than one I already have) is important for me. The problem with the GT is that it always sounds dark and somewhat nasal. It's not a bad thing sometimes but it's limiting. Eventually every tone starts to sound somewhat the same, only with a different level of gain and different effects.

I have plenty of free amp simulators but am looking for something to use, not only for recording. I like the idea of my sound being very portable like it is in these units. And I would like something to also be able to use with my amp if I ever decided to since I have no effects at all. I have thought of most alternatives to a multi-effects pedal but the only one I might accept is a new amp. But I can't seem to find any metal amps under 500 that are worth the money. And due to my situation, I can't have something loud. A 15-Watt practice amp at volume-2 is already loud here. I would rather wait some years before upgrading my amp.

I thought the same. The clean and mid-gain where really surprising. But there were better heavier tones out there. I'm sure the POD HD modeling is great. I was just unable to use it but I might end up going with that. And after listening to YouTube videos comparing firmware updates, I know that updating the unit will cause a great benefit to the tone.

Last edited by FenderBluesAAA : 12-22-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #31
FenderBluesAAA

I have a question for POD HD500 users. What do you think of the DSP limit? Does it seem to get in the way a lot?

Does anyone know how the DSP compares to that in the GT100?

Rate This Thread: