Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
FirasKordi

How hard should i pick

hey guys....just a fast question , how hard should i pick a string (i use 1.5 picks , not very sharp ) while alternate picking and sweeping
FirasKordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
jwax

be a light as possible. lighter picking=greater speed+tonal clarity ;].

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here [/B]
jwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Picking harder or lighter gives a different tone, you should be able to pick as hard as you need to at a given moment.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

As hard as you need to to get the sound you desire. You're playing music, so the point is that it sounds how you want it to sound; music isn't just about hitting the right notes.

You'll find if you hit really lightly it'll sound quite weak and won't be as clear, if you hit really heavily it'll be much louder but will have more of a snap to it. Personally I'd say pick somewhere in the middle of hard and soft as your "normal" stroke, as that'll give you the most dynamic range. Not hard enough that it distorts and not so light that it sounds pathetic.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Heminator89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Picking harder or lighter gives a different tone, you should be able to pick as hard as you need to at a given moment.

This is the answer that'll help you. Lot of guitar players pick hard for aggression, whilst some pick lighter to get a very smooth sound. It really depends on the kind of music that you are playing.

Comments and feedback welcome!
Heminator89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
adambauman31

if using a single channel tube amp, harder picking will overdrive more and softer picking will be cleaner. There are situations for each. You should be able to do both.
adambauman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
SwoobGuitar

This hard:
<------->
SwoobGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwax
be a light as possible. lighter picking=greater speed+tonal clarity ;].

No it doesn't. It just gives a different tone.

For rhythm, I pick pretty hard due to the nature of the music I generally play. Sometimes, I like to play some soft stuff so I roll down my volume dial and play a lot lighter. It all depends on what style of music and sound you are going for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
FirasKordi

thanks for your answers everyone...what about galloping , especially (bleed) by meshuggah , how hard should i pick the riff so i can endure because its exhausting as hell !
FirasKordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirasKordi
thanks for your answers everyone...what about galloping , especially (bleed) by meshuggah , how hard should i pick the riff so i can endure because its exhausting as hell !

For that, I would say play quite lightly due to the speed of it. Your hand wont fall off then

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
martmiguel

Ive noticed that some guitar player pick hard because they need volume, if this is your case just turn the amp up

Now being serious try to pick as light as possible, at first you can drop your pick but this is fine, you will learn to control this eventually

curso online de guitarra
clases de guitarra profesor a domicilio
martmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by martmiguel
Ive noticed that some guitar player pick hard because they need volume, if this is your case just turn the amp up

Now being serious try to pick as light as possible, at first you can drop your pick but this is fine, you will learn to control this eventually

Absolutely not

Picking dynamics is one of the fundamental basics of good technique, how you attack the string has a massive effect on the resultant tone, speed, length of stroke and pick angle all play a part, even more so through a tube amp. As others have said you pick as hard or as soft as you need to get the sound you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
t1mman

Makes me remember, one time on a PInk Floyd cover band, the guitarist was picking so softly the tone sucked and everything was pretty much "lost" in my point off view...

Pick as hard or as soft as it is needed!
t1mman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirasKordi

You can pick hard with small motions and relaxed technique. The key is to use a little more of the pick to strike the strings; the more of the pick you use the more snap you'll get and more dynamics. It's a careful balance though, too much and you'll get caught up at speed and you won't be able to play whatever it is you're going for.

Bleed isn't a standard gallop though, people often get this wrong, the pattern is actually like this:

Code:
Bb|-000-0-000-0-

The picking pattern actually falls in to strict alternate picking perfectly but it does still take a lot of work to get down and be able to play it all the way through; it's a real work out.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
Aminor251

Practice your picking with permutations up and down the neck and alternate from hard till you are picking where you can barely be heard and vice versa.
Aminor251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #16
J_W

The correct answer is.....as hard or as soft as you need to.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
guitarscales
UG Newbie

It's music mate! You'r god here! You are creating even when you play other's songs! Picking is just another way to leave your mark on the art you are doing! Slighter picking gives more speed whereas heavier picking gives more tenacity but you can go around both with some training. It also depends if you'r singing along yourself or you are playing in a band etc...

Rate This Thread: