Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
TABA5CO

Unhappy Peavey Vypyr 100 and Dual Recto HS

10 years ago, being heard in the mix during shows at a small club wasn't something I worried about with my 5150 II half stack. Ever since I sold it, my current Peavey Vypyr 100 (the solid state 2x12) hasn't needed to compete with another amp to be heard in my living room. Now I'm kicking myself even harder for not keeping the 5150.....

I was invited to audition for a rock/metal band next week for rhythm guitar. Their current guitarist will continue to handle lead duties with his Dual Recto half stack. I know the ss Vypers cut through way better than the non-tube Line 6s, but does anyone know if my cute little 2x12 Vypyr stands a chance holding down the foundation straight up, without a PA's help? Or am I going to embarrass myself by bringing a slingshot to the assault rifle fight?
TABA5CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABA5CO
10 years ago, being heard in the mix during shows at a small club wasn't something I worried about with my 5150 II half stack. Ever since I sold it, my current Peavey Vypyr 100 (the solid state 2x12) hasn't needed to compete with another amp to be heard in my living room. Now I'm kicking myself even harder for not keeping the 5150.....

I was invited to audition for a rock/metal band next week for rhythm guitar. Their current guitarist will continue to handle lead duties with his Dual Recto half stack. I know the ss Vypers cut through way better than the non-tube Line 6s, but does anyone know if my cute little 2x12 Vypyr stands a chance holding down the foundation straight up, without a PA's help? Or am I going to embarrass myself by bringing a slingshot to the assault rifle fight?

it depends what kind of band they are. are they gigging regularly, if so how often? are they at the low end of the food chain or booking bigger clubs, etc. if they are playing a lot you would probably benefit with a different amp.

generally if i post an ad for whatever musician with the terms "professional gear required' and when they pulll up everytime they have had a decent amp and 2x12" cab or combo with plans to mic it. it also depends if you will have access to a PA.

i certainly don't think they will laugh at you, (vypyrs are fine for the bedroom). but they may expect different gear.

all of that said if you have the vypyr set up good it should be fine. it would be better if it were one of the tube vypyrs, but YMMV.

anyways, good luck at the try out. if they choose you and you make some money from shows here and there you could put it towards a better amp. just don't drink your check away.

good luck and
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:01 AM   #3
evmac
Baroness Lover

You'll probably just be jamming with them in a band room or something, so you'll be fine. I've played with a 75watt SS Vypyr and it was heard easily during the jam, where my guitarist was using the Tube version. I was using the 6505 mode and I used quite a bit of mids to help cut through the mix. I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't find that cutting is a problem if you can EQ your amp properly.
evmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:30 AM   #4
TABA5CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
it depends what kind of band they are. are they gigging regularly, if so how often? are they at the low end of the food chain or booking bigger clubs, etc. if they are playing a lot you would probably benefit with a different amp.

generally if i post an ad for whatever musician with the terms "professional gear required' and when they pulll up everytime they have had a decent amp and 2x12" cab or combo with plans to mic it. it also depends if you will have access to a PA.

i certainly don't think they will laugh at you, (vypyrs are fine for the bedroom). but they may expect different gear.

all of that said if you have the vypyr set up good it should be fine. it would be better if it were one of the tube vypyrs, but YMMV.

anyways, good luck at the try out. if they choose you and you make some money from shows here and there you could put it towards a better amp. just don't drink your check away.

good luck and

They're playing small clubs and bars and they already know I'm using the Vypyr 2x12, but I'm not so much worried about tone quality (right this second, anyway...), I'm concerned that without a PA,my little ss open-back 2x12 will be completely smothered by his 100w tube closed-back 4x12....

Last edited by TABA5CO : 01-16-2013 at 02:38 AM.
TABA5CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 AM   #5
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I used to have a 75W Vypyr and drums totally drowned it out. You may be okay cause yours is a 212, but it's hard to say. Just crank your mids and hope for the best. Maybe buy or build a fold back stand so you can project better.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

/inb4cathsaysmilkcrates

Really, you should get a few milk crates to set it on to get it off of the floor and bring it closer to your ears. It will help, without a doubt.

In addition, make sure you put plenty of mids in your tone. If the tone is appropriate, use the 6505 Model on the amp, like mentioned, as those amps are known for having plenty of mids available. Don't use too much bass, but make sure you've got a little bit dialed in.

What I would do (if you can) is crank some music (preferably some of their recorded or even live stuff, if oyu have access to any, if not, something similar in genre) through a decent-sized sound system with decent-sized speakers, and set your amp volume below the song volume, and try to EQ it so that you can cut through that and be heard better. That should prepare you somewhat for playing with those guys.

Other that what the other guys said, that's about all you can do. Good luck at the audition

Last edited by Blktiger0 : 01-16-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
evmac
Baroness Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
/inb4cathsaysmilkcrates

Really, you should get a few milk crates to set it on to get it off of the floor and bring it closer to your ears. It will help, without a doubt.

In addition, make sure you put plenty of mids in your tone. If the tone is appropriate, use the 6505 Model on the amp, like mentioned, as those amps are known for having plenty of mids available. Don't use too much bass, but make sure you've got a little bit dialed in.

What I would do (if you can) is crank some music (preferably some of their recorded or even live stuff, if oyu have access to any, if not, something similar in genre) through a decent-sized sound system with decent-sized speakers, and set your amp volume below the song volume, and try to EQ it so that you can cut through that and be heard better. That should prepare you somewhat for playing with those guys.

Other that what the other guys said, that's about all you can do. Good luck at the audition

That last part is a really good idea. Even if its a band that's similar you'll get a pretty decent idea.
evmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: