Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Drums
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-20-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
thebroken

Looking for Advice on Learning Drums

First some background:
I'm a classical guitar student at university. So, music is something that I'm pretty familiar with. Besides being a guitarist, I've always been fascinated with the percussion world. I've had some lessons in the past. (Just a little bit.)

My question:
I'm not really sure what I should be doing/practicing to improve. (Other than find a teacher. Which I'm currently looking for. Small town woes! ) I got some books: Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone, Progressive steps to Syncopation for the modern drummer by Ted Reed , and Drum Studies Concepts, reading, phrasing, and technique by Dave Vose.

What else should I be working on? What online resources are there?

Thanks!
thebroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
Shor

It is required by law to own a copy of Jojo Mayer's Secret Weapons For The Modern Drummer DVD if you have any aspirations to become a drummer.
It contains pretty much everything you'll want to know about hand technique and more.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
LuckyLu

Take your Ipod and play along. Great technique is awesome, but doesn't have a point in itself. Just play!
LuckyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
crispykids

go on youtube and begin researching "gospel chops", you may or may not like the style but there is a mountain of knowledge about groove in that style
crispykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
DarknessFTW

Yeah as others have said, just plug in your iPod, put some headphones on, and play along. I do a Guns N Roses set daily on drums just to keep me fast and sharp, on top of just teaching myself new techniques from books or whatever. If i could afford it, id get a drum teacher, but if not just play. Seriously just play. Experiment with different beats, work on rhythms, fills etc you hear in songs, work them up from a slow pace (40-50bpm) if you find them real difficult, and keep gradually increasing the speed til you can play it much quicker.
DarknessFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
corrda00
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLu
Take your Ipod and play along. Great technique is awesome, but doesn't have a point in itself. Just play!

This

My Compositions:
Roots (Prog Metal)
New Tuning (Prog Metal)
Sexy Riff (Pop Rock)
corrda00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
Second Rate

Practicing to songs is pretty fun, But I would also recommend practicing snare drum rudiments.... in particular: single strokes, double strokes, flams, single paradiddles, and "buzz" strokes. Practice leading with both your left hand and your right hand.

Also (and this is completely optional), I would strongly recommend playing open handed, it will help strengthen your weak side and improve your coordination.
Second Rate is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: