Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #21
chatterbox272

So here's my attempt. Really not a fan of the snare or kick but I'm not so good with drum replacement so I did what I could. https://soundcloud.com/brad-ezard/u...paper-worm-mix1
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #22
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

I'm working on this now.
Originally Posted by gregs1020
I've said it before, nothing says metal like a grill you can bounce a bottle of Jack Daniels off.
What can you learn in 20 days?
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:19 AM   #23
maggot9779
UG's Saint Nicduck

Cool, a mixoff! I'll give it a go when I can find the time.

Last.fm

Steam
maggot9779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #24
MatrixClaw
UG God

Were the "Dry" guitar tracks meant to be DIs, or just the amp without a cab? Cause DIs would've been great, I wanted to try reamping this through my Kemper

The right and left guitars are recorded at different volumes which makes it very hard to balance them both, if you don't want to compress the crap out of them and keep some dynamics. Also - The right overhead track is a stereo track instead of a mono track, and it's way louder than the left track (or at least the right crash is way louder than the left)?

There's also backing vocals in the middle of the lead guitar track

Do really like the bass in this though, sounds bitchin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #25
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Were the "Dry" guitar tracks meant to be DIs, or just the amp without a cab? Cause DIs would've been great, I wanted to try reamping this through my Kemper

The right and left guitars are recorded at different volumes which makes it very hard to balance them both, if you don't want to compress the crap out of them and keep some dynamics. Also - The right overhead track is a stereo track instead of a mono track, and it's way louder than the left track (or at least the right crash is way louder than the left)?

There's also backing vocals in the middle of the lead guitar track

Do really like the bass in this though, sounds bitchin!

Nope, they're a direct out from the back of the guitar head.

I think the right overhead is actually the stereo overhead, so I strongly recommend splitting it into two mono files and ditching the left hand side, or else just importing it and ignoring the L Overhead completely. Don't know how that one slipped past.

I don't see the big deal about the L and R guitars - just trim the gain on them? I didn't need to compress them much at all in my mix.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #26
maggot9779
UG's Saint Nicduck

Here's my mix, i'll probably change something when I listen to it again later, but whatever,

https://soundcloud.com/maggot9779/u...i-weekly-mixoff

Last.fm

Steam
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #27
maggot9779
UG's Saint Nicduck

Well....this was popular......

Last.fm

Steam
Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 AM   #28
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot9779
Well....this was popular......

Yeah, for something which had so much enthusiasm for the idea this hasn't really kicked off has it?

Quote:
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #29
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Yeah, for something which had so much enthusiasm for the idea this hasn't really kicked off has it?

True. My fault for providing a shitty song, probably.

I think bi-weekly (or fortnightly, as we sensible Brits say) is too short for something as deep an involved as mixing, especially when most of us have real clients and/or jobs to be working on in the meantime. A month makes more sense.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #30
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
True. My fault for providing a shitty song, probably.

I think bi-weekly (or fortnightly, as we sensible Brits say) is too short for something as deep an involved as mixing, especially when most of us have real clients and/or jobs to be working on in the meantime. A month makes more sense.

I don't think it's a shitty song as such, but it might have been the wrong one to kick off the mixoff with. There's a fair few beginners around (e.g. me) who would have found the loose timing a little tricky. Also considering the drums were just rendered Superior tracks it would have been nice if we'd had access to the MIDI. But oh well, maybe if we keep on running them it will catch on a bit.
I think bi-weekly (or fortnightly) is fine tbh, but maybe we might get more people if we give them more time to do it. I guess seeing as it appears that lockwolf is running this then we'll see what he thinks.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #31
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

I'll second the monthly idea.

I downloaded the tracks, but was finishing up some other mixes for someone who recorded last week that "provided me with some challenges." haha

If you have a stereo file where one side is louder than the other, you can load it up into an editor (you might have to do it in a separate project) and then export it as separate right and left channels.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #32
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
I don't think it's a shitty song as such, but it might have been the wrong one to kick off the mixoff with. There's a fair few beginners around (e.g. me) who would have found the loose timing a little tricky. Also considering the drums were just rendered Superior tracks it would have been nice if we'd had access to the MIDI. But oh well, maybe if we keep on running them it will catch on a bit.
I think bi-weekly (or fortnightly) is fine tbh, but maybe we might get more people if we give them more time to do it. I guess seeing as it appears that lockwolf is running this then we'll see what he thinks.

I don't really think timing quantization, MIDI drum samples etc are the mix engineer's job though, in honesty.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #33
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
I don't really think timing quantization, MIDI drum samples etc are the mix engineer's job though, in honesty.

In the world of the one man hobby recordist/studio it doesn't matter who's job it is. You're doing everything xD

It's not so bad in this song though, as all the tracks have at least a semblance of timing with each other. Your just not gonna get a polished MUSE or Foo's level of production on it because of that.

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #34
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

I think having a week to do the mix is more than enough time. Personally, if I spend too much time on a song, I start second guessing things in the mix. Hell, even at a half-hour a day, 7 days should be close to enough to get a decent mix (I know none of us are Chris Lord-Alge but he's done 3 hours professional mixes). If you allow too much time, like 2 weeks instead of one, I have the feeling we'll get more "Oh yeah, I'll do that" posts then see "Oh shit, that was due today?" shortly after the deadline. Plus, a week gives it that real world turnaround time to it. Yes, I understand that none of us do this full time & whatnot but once you get in the flow and know what to do with your mixes, a week should be no problem.

Once I decide the next mixoff, I'll run that one for a week as well and see how it goes. I think since this one is the first & people are starting to notice it, the second should be bigger.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #35
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam

Hm. Speed mix time. Just finished downloading, haven't heard the song, let's do this.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #36
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam

https://soundcloud.com/moving-forwa...i-weekly-mixoff

Hooray.

Dunno what timing issues and what not people are going on about. This was a pretty simple song to mix. The quality of the raw tracks was decent enough that no major doctoring had to be done to anything.

I think there's a third tom track missing, btw.

Last edited by Odirunn : 01-16-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Odirunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:15 AM   #37
francesco18
galloping E|-0-0-0-0

I like Odirunn's one the best so far. Great job.

Michael Gira in a nutshell
francesco18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #38
chronowarp

I just did a session with a really mediocre band that would be a great challenge. A real "how well can I polish this turd" kind of mix off. Let me know if you want raws.

Cool idea, ITT.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #39
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
I just did a session with a really mediocre band that would be a great challenge. A real "how well can I polish this turd" kind of mix off. Let me know if you want raws.

Sweet, look forward to doing that!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #40
chatterbox272

It's been another week and this has made it to the lower part of the second page. I'm guessing that means it's dead? that's a shame.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: