Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
BlackDog4

Neck Volume Too Low

Hi,
I have Just installed a push pull tone pot in my epi lp for phase switching. I have wired it to the neck pickup and now the pick up has gone quiet. The volume is not changing from 4-10 on the volume pot. I did use copper wires as extra was needed to phase switch. Could it be the solder joint from wire connecting the neck volume and tone pots. Please help.
Thanks
BlackDog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Could be a bad solder joint, or even a bad pot. But the first thing you should do is double check your wiring and make sure it's wired right. Then redo all of the solder joints.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

You're going to need to provide more detailed information. All manner of things can cause a drop in output or an unresponsive pot; without a precise description (or better yet, very clear, well-lit, high-resolution and sharp photos), nobody will be able to tell you what's going wrong.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
BlackDog4

So it wouldn't be the copper wires affecting it. I also had to extend the neck pick up lead and ground wire with copper wires. Would this impact it.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
jjbarnes
You read these?

Dude. Copper is a ****ing fantastic conductor. No it's not the copper wires. And wire length won't affect volume that much. If anything, it would cause a little bit of treble roll off, but even that is pretty much unnoticeable. You probably just wired something wrong or have a bad joint.
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
jjbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
BlackDog4

I might replace the volume pot with the old tone pot then (without the cap) and.see if that fixes it, otherwise I'll resolder
Old 01-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
MrFlibble

Volume and tone pots tend to be different tapers, and sometimes different values. Not much point swapping them around.

At a guess, lacking photos, I would suggest that where you've 'extended' the leads on the neck pickup, something either wasn't connected properly (cold solder or broken wire) or it wasn't insulated properly and another metal element is contacting it.

This is why, when doing phase switching, most people do it to the bridge pickup instead; you usually have more wire to play with and it makes no difference which pickup is switched, so normally the neck pickup is left alone.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
BlackDog4

I am gonna coil split the bridge.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
MrFlibble

You can split and phase switch the same pickup (in fact this also lets you switch between the two split coil sounds). The Seymour Duncan site has detailed diagrams of how this works.

Rate This Thread: