Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Is it possible to create a species of megafauna through selective breeding?
Yes 20 71.43%
No 8 28.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #41
the bartender
Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgery
somebody needs to bring back mammots

quite obviously the best animals every to walk the earth
The Japanese are already on it: http://singularityhub.com/2011/01/1...ext-five-years/

To sacrifice these children

You must not do it anymore
the bartender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #42
Burgery
scatterbrain

Location: an outward projected image of a pokémon centre for the soul
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bartender

im gonna get one
Burgery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #43
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
It's adorable that you think I'm gonna read all that. I'm gonna pinch your cheeks.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:59 AM   #44
luvs2gro
Ug's Botan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bartender

It's a shame that clones have shorter life span and have such a high risk of death/failure at living... how ever if the clone lives long enough to produce an off spring then the off spring will remain healthy and have a normal lifespan.

funny how that works
luvs2gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 AM   #45
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgery
they could be put in a cold environment brah

isnt that what this thread is about

edit: if we're only talking about selective breeding this probably wouldnt work all that well

edit: id like to reinstate the fact taht i dont know what im talking about

i should put a disclaimer in my sig or something

i'm saying they'd have trouble with it for reasons like that
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:19 AM   #46
luvs2gro
Ug's Botan

Mammoths and Mastodons were both Pleistocene Mega fauna, thats why they're so bad ass.

If it would be unreliably hard to maintain the environment and diet of a species for long enough to see it transform into a mega fauna, what if you alter the genes of an embryo (i have no idea what im talking about) so it activates some sort of "gigantism gene" and place it in an egg, when its born you should have a giant creature within 1 generation right?

but it wouldn't necessarily be a new species of mega fauna it would just have a genetic "disorder" so to say?

lets talk a little more about biology and cross species breeding, humans and chimps can't create an off spring, this is because of a difference in the number of chromosomes. Lions and Tigers have been successfully bred to create Ligars but the cross species animal can not create a baby of its own.. What if we found a way to match chromosomes of 2 different species, one large and one small, could we use selective breeding to take the trait of the large animal and apply it to the small one to make it large?

Sorry for my silly/ungodly talk of cross species breeding im sure many of you think its wrong lol. If any body has some other sort of question or hypothetical genetic/breeding scenario please ask I like to read and discuss about these sort of topics.

Last edited by luvs2gro : 01-18-2013 at 04:36 AM.
luvs2gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:50 AM   #47
the bartender
Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs2gro
Mammoths and Mastodons were both Pleistocene Mega fauna, thats why there so bad ass.

If it would be unreliably hard to maintain the environment and diet of a species for long enough to see it transform into a mega fauna, what if you alter the genes of an embryo (i have no idea what im talking about) so it activates some sort of "gigantism gene" and place it in an egg, when its born you should have a giant creature within 1 generation right?
Well, we do know what genetic disorder causes gigantism in humans, so theoretically it would be possible to breed an animal with a such defect. Humans with this effect only grow up to 50% larger than average though, so there's a limit to it.

I doubt that it would be unreliably hard to maintain a suitable environment for whatever species we choose though, as long as we take one that isn't too needy. We've got polar bears and penguins living in zoo's all around the world, though the climates are often a lot different than in their original habitat. We don't have to replicate the exact circumstances as they would be in the wild, as long as we meet those that are required for the animal's health and the breeding proces.

Quote:
but it wouldn't necessarily be a new species of mega fauna it would just have a genetic "disorder" so to say?
Indeed it would. It's quite hard to draw a line as to where one species ends and the other begins, but one of the most solid criteria is wether cross-breeding the two would give fertile offspring as a result. If so, they're still the same species, if not, they're seperate species. Since gigantism doesn't affect reproduction abilities, they'd be perfectly capable of succesfully mating with their non-giant peers. You could, however, make sure they only breed with other giants, which in the end would result in the giants and non-giants becoming two seperate species due to divergent evolution.

Quote:
lets talk a little more about biology and cross species breeding, humans and chimps can't create an off spring, this is because of a difference in the number of chromosomes. Lions and Tigers have been successfully bred to create Ligars but the cross species animal can not create a baby of its own.. What if we found a way to match chromosomes of 2 different species, one large and one small, could we use selective breeding to take the trait of the large animal and apply it to the small one to make it large?
I doubt wether we'd actually be able to do this, since there are so many problems with combining genetic material of two species that are significantly different, but if we somehow could then I guess it would be possible.

Quote:
Sorry for my silly/ungodly talk of cross species breeding im sure many of you think its wrong lol. If any body has some other sort of question or hypothetical genetic/breeding scenario please ask I like to read and discuss about these sort of topics.
Anyone who thinks cross-breeding or selective breeding is wrong should not have dogs, or eat vegetables and fruits, or buy flowers, since they're mostly the results of doing exactly that.

To sacrifice these children

You must not do it anymore

Last edited by the bartender : 01-18-2013 at 06:03 AM.
the bartender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #48
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.

Quote:
As humans can we use natural selection to breed giant animals? Naturally I look at the evolution of dogs (they mapped out the Canines Genome and found that all dogs come from wolves, after thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds of selective breeding we transformed a wolf into a chihuahua)

Theoreticaly, yes, we can use use selective breeding to increase the average size of pretty much any species, but the difficulty comes in the time it takes. Y'see, dogs are easy to use for selective breeding, they become fully adult at about 3 years, at which point they have grown as much as they ever will, so at 3 years you can see the results of your selective breeding, but when we're talking about selectively breeding reptiles for size, other difficulties arise.

Many reptiles can live a long time pretty much the same lifespan as a human in many cases, and many reptiles also never stop growing throughout their lives, so whereas you can see the results of selectively breeding dogs for size within just 3 years, it could take a persons lifetime to see the results from just one generation of selectively breeding reptiles for size.

We can feasably do it, we can have a project that spans many generations of people and we could selectively breed giant lizards, but to what point? We couldn't release them into the wild because they would be damaging to the ecology that has evolved since giant lizards became extinct, they'd be seriously dangerous so keeping them in captivity would have it's problems too and those that become a part of such a program would never live long enough to see the results.

Slacker's Art Website.

Last edited by SlackerBabbath : 01-18-2013 at 05:46 AM.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: