Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
XanGH

Shawn Lane Fans - I need your help!

I'm writing a piece for my student magazine about the lasting influence of Mr. Lane, but my pool of regular folk and jobbing musicians is too small for me to get any real gauge of his influence or, indeed, his genius. Can any of you help me with this? Just what the man, his playing or his music meant to you in as much detail as you like?

Thank you all!

Xan.
XanGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
bigblockelectra

Shawn Lane was not popular outside of the guitar community because he did not play "pop" music. He died before the explosion of social media and youtube and only released a few albums of instrumental music. Unless it is Kenny G or classical, instrumental music of that type is not too popular. His discography list on wikipedia is quite large, but some of that stuff is such low volume, that most people will never hear it.

Other than his recorded stuff, there are maybe 30 or 40 video clips on youtube of his playing, and most are pretty bad audio quality. It is kind of hard to gauge how much of an impact he had on people when there is so little information about him.

From most of what I saw, he played with the whammy bar under palm and I think his whammy bar usage is some of my favorite.
bigblockelectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockelectra
Other than his recorded stuff, there are maybe 30 or 40 video clips on youtube of his playing, and most are pretty bad audio quality. It is kind of hard to gauge how much of an impact he had on people when there is so little information about him.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyShawnLaneVideos

There is a substantial collection of his playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
XanGH

I've managed to find those sources, thanks! I just aged some personal reactions as to what you think of him.
XanGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanGH
I've managed to find those sources, thanks! I just aged some personal reactions as to what you think of him.

I wish I had the skill or musical understanding to claim him as a direct influence; I've taken one lick from him and even then I can't do it anywhere near as clean or fast or work in the position shifts he did

Every time I listen though, and I do mean every time, I am floored by the technical and musical magnitude of what he did. Listening to something like Grey Pianos Flying just... oh my god.

I really wish I had more to say but really that's all there is. Maybe not the most influential player of all time but definitely one of the most special none the less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
bigblockelectra

His covers of the music from the Untouchables movie and Once Upon a Time in the West are both excellent. I think that was the kind of playing he really liked to do.

There is a video of him playing an electric version of Epilogue for Lisa that is also very good.

Lots of good whammy technique to try to mimic.
bigblockelectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:36 AM   #7
roushsn95

Before I'd ever heard him play, I'd only heard about his speed and technical ability. That type of playing doesn't necessarily appeal to me to much these days.

However, back in 2007 I was digging around for new music. Something different and unique. I don't remember how but I came across some of Jonas Hellborg's music with Shawn Lane playing guitar. One album in particular is "Good People in Times of Evil". It's an incredible album. The fusion of music styles is unlike anything I've ever heard. Shawn Lane's playing is some of the most tasteful I'd heard in a long time. He really nails it.

The album review from Allmusic.com:
"Lane is a truly awe-inspiring guitarist, a man who can seemingly play anything that enters his head, and yet who shows remarkable restraint most of the time".

I really recommend anyone who digs Shawn Lane to check out this album and the other albums he did with Jonas Hellborg.
roushsn95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: