Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #121
WCPhils
#philamerica
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
^
Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
"Now give me a thousand dollars to eat pizza with me."

It's their money. idgaf how they spend it
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
95% of teens have moved on to hip hop. Put this in your sig if you're part of th 5% who care about REAL music.




Check out my...

YouTube

Last edited by WCPhils : 01-19-2013 at 06:13 PM.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:23 AM   #122
SlackerBabbath
Est. 1966.
 
SlackerBabbath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Burnley, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by lncognito
Well, he would certainly be correct in observing that you're being kind of a dick, take it from me whose observations have more accuracy than his. Your general dickiness is considerable lower though, and unworthy of the status "dick".



I really don't get this, Macabre_Turtle states that I said something that I clearly didn't, then I get called a 'dick' simply for pointing out that I clearly didn't say what he claims I said, then you feel like you ought to join in?
Tell me, is this genuinely about you two having a problem with me denying that I said something that I really didn't say or is there some other problem you have with me that you're bringing to the thread?
__________________
“Our life is what our thoughts make it.”
― Marcus Aurelius

Slacker's Art Website.
SlackerBabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:39 AM   #123
PoisonousNipple
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Didn't read the replys so it's probly already been said. This isn't the first band to do this by a long shot. I think it's pretty ****ing lame personally, expecting other people to pay for the making of your album and all.

And no, it's not the same.
PoisonousNipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #124
PoisonousNipple
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
I really don't get this, Macabre_Turtle states that I said something that I clearly didn't, then I get called a 'dick' simply for pointing out that I clearly didn't say what he claims I said, then you feel like you ought to join in?
Tell me, is this genuinely about you two having a problem with me denying that I said something that I really didn't say or is there some other problem you have with me that you're bringing to the thread?


They don't like you because you are smart, just quietly.
PoisonousNipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #125
Hail
kill both bass players
 
Hail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas
remember PTH is pretty old fashioned for the prog scene. they're still rocking amps and cabs unlike most modern metal bands.

all the people saying the band should front it themselves - they're pretty much broke lol. plus, as i said, most of this is album presales - people who like them know they'll deliver a solid product, so they're buying their album ahead of time. otherwise, just wait till it comes out and torrent it like everybody else. it's not unethical to want to record in a top-of-the-line studio, stop being a brat like you're the arbiter of fiscal morality - they even said in the video they didn't expect to reach it, but it was a goal of theirs that they wanted to see come to fruition, and now it will.

i didn't even invest, it's just kinda arrogant. the 3 fans who get to be on the record probably aren't complaining about how much the band is taking advantage of them - you're putting words in the mouths of people who feel like this is a priceless opportunity.

also: they're gonna be putting their accounting all public according to their indiegogo and all of the extra cash will be accounted for in a way that lets us know it wasn't squandered, which is pretty cool. this should even allow them to kickstart their touring, and i'm proud of them.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #126
blake1221
‭‭
 
blake1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
remember PTH is pretty old fashioned for the prog scene. they're still rocking amps and cabs unlike most modern metal bands.


lol wut
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #127
ChrisBW
Registered User
 
ChrisBW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
lol wut


AxeFX yo
__________________
I have a huge fear if rays.
ChrisBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #128
blake1221
‭‭
 
blake1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBW
AxeFX yo


I assume this is something that helps make metal more sterile than it already is.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #129
ChrisBW
Registered User
 
ChrisBW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
I assume this is something that helps make metal more sterile than it already is.


Spot on.
__________________
I have a huge fear if rays.
ChrisBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #130
Eastwinn
Banned
 
Eastwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Annapolis, MD
super lame.
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #131
█▐▌█▐▌
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
PTH are heroes and you DIYfags are just protesting them because you're jealous.
█▐▌█▐▌ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #132
due 07
trill clinton
 
due 07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: in yah crib watching netflix wit yah girl
$200k? holy fvck my sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by neidnarb11890
fuck bands who use kickstarter or w/e to fund $125k recording projects & fuck people who think that is cool or DIY.

^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinLattes
I'm not overly concerned how other people spend their money, it just seems a tad manipulative for an established band to use their fans like this. I mean, they are the ones already supporting you. Why not front the money yourself (like all those bands who also don't have a label) and recoup your expenses after the album is released? They don't have the safety net of a label fronting the production costs anymore, so instead they turn to their fans to pay up. If the album sucks or sells poorly, they don't have much responsibility. Or any.

I wouldn't bat an eye at helping a band I liked record some shit, but $125k is exorbitant considering their circumstances.

^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
That's not the point I'm making. I'm not going to buy this album regardless cuz I don't really care about the band. The point I'm making is that the incentives they've included takes advantage of their fans, while masquerading as fan service. It doesn't matter if "I don't have to give." It's not right for a band to basically con fans out of their money.

Think about this. Remember that "Pumped Up Kicks" song? That was recorded in the singer's bedroom. He thought he was just demoing, but that demo is the version you heard on the radio. If a top ten song can be recorded in a home studio, without a 100K budget, why does some deathcore or whatever band need that much money?Pretty much this.

^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by neidnarb11890
good for the band for making that much, but it isn't really 'groundbreaking' or anything. it is hardly news that you can record & release an album without a big record label bankrolling the project. the music industry isn't collapsing because bands don't need it anymore, it is collapsing because consumers don't need it anymore.

^^

i mean it's obvious they're preying upon the overzealousness of their neckbeard fanbase, which isn't really cool, but also pth sucks anyway. (ftr i think crowdsourcing is ok and have contributed before.)
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #133
due 07
trill clinton
 
due 07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: in yah crib watching netflix wit yah girl
i'm gonna illegally download this album when it comes out so i am like stealing from all of their dumb fans.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #134
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
 
Macabre_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hermitage, PA
So, why do all these haters give a shit how much money this band wants to spend on the album/music videos/touring cycle?

I've said it before, and I'll have to repeat it. The amount of money they set their goal at has exactly zero effect on how much money they would actually end up getting.
__________________
Music from my upcoming album...
Atlas Burden'
And for those who don't enjoy screaming...
Atlas' Burden (Instrumental)
And for those who really enjoyed that and want to hear other random songs unrelated to that album...
Other music
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #135
due 07
trill clinton
 
due 07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: in yah crib watching netflix wit yah girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre_Turtle
So, why do all these haters give a shit how much money this band wants to spend on the album/music videos/touring cycle?

uhmm maybe try reading the posts of these h8rz

basically i think it's lame because it's taking advantage of the fans, which is not what crowdsourcing should be about.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #136
lncognito
Encephalectomized
 
lncognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The ever-changing mass of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerBabbath
I really don't get this, Macabre_Turtle states that I said something that I clearly didn't, then I get called a 'dick' simply for pointing out that I clearly didn't say what he claims I said, then you feel like you ought to join in?
Tell me, is this genuinely about you two having a problem with me denying that I said something that I really didn't say or is there some other problem you have with me that you're bringing to the thread?
Dude, I totally fucking love you, so if I were to bring along some external problem with you, it could only have been me bashing at you for leaving my wonder unresolved as to whether you've actually memorized every detail of what you post or are actually using external sources when you write.

I know the quoted post was kinda old, but I don't want you to think I hold any hard feelings for you. I can't remember exactly how the discussion took place earlier in this thread, and can't be bothered checking, but I assure that anything I wrote...
I had to check, since I couldn't actually remember sufficient details to make a coherent statement. After doing that I think I've realized the source of this confusion; in my post, I was merely referencing your last post at that time, which in my eyes was overly patronising. However, my post seemed to reference some previous posts that he could have had responded to, of which none were worthy of such description.

Or not, and we just disagree over something I'm not entirely sure of...
lncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #137
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Frozen North! (read: Northern Wisconsin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
i mean it's obvious they're preying upon the overzealousness of their neckbeard fanbase, which isn't really cool, but also pth sucks anyway. (ftr i think crowdsourcing is ok and have contributed before.)

due, do me a favor. Stop being an asshole. Just because you dislike PtH, that doesn't mean they suck and that doesn't mean their fanbase is all neckbeards. That'd be like me mocking fans of lo-fi hipster music and saying that music sucks.

That said, the band received $200k. Once the fans donated, the band can do whatever they want with that money. Besides, it's not like they're just buying a yacht or something. They're using the money to promote their music (which is what touring is really, a form of music promotion), which is beneficial to their fans in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
all the people saying the band should front it themselves - they're pretty much broke lol.

Most bands, even established ones, end up pretty much broke most of the time. Very few bands make millions of dollars, except for maybe bands like Metallica. Most bands don't play music because it makes them rich. They do it because they love making music. So, people can stop acting like the band could have fronted the money themselves.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 01-26-2013 at 05:19 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #138
█▐▌█▐▌
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
due, do me a favor. Stop being an asshole. Just because you dislike PtH, that doesn't mean they suck and that doesn't mean their fanbase is all neckbeards. That'd be like me mocking fans of lo-fi hipster music and saying that music sucks.

do it do it
Quote:
(which is what touring is really, a form of music promotion)

>2013

and nobody thinks they're getting rich, the criticism is that it would be courteous of them to be more economical.
█▐▌█▐▌ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #139
Hereiwas
"Alex"
 
Hereiwas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
they must be running high x-inefficiencies and productive inefficiencies.




...





shrug




edit: crazysamatax, i was going to listen to yr band camp but it won't let meplay stuff. I don't know if that is intentional. shrug. but yeah. i would have listened to it. (y)
__________________
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford

Last edited by Hereiwas : 01-26-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Hereiwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #140
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
 
Macabre_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hermitage, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
uhmm maybe try reading the posts of these h8rz

basically i think it's lame because it's taking advantage of the fans, which is not what crowdsourcing should be about.


Yeah, I read all of the posts. And exactly zero of them complained about anything that should be complained about? Taking advantage of fans? Yeah, that still never happened. 10$ for a download? Sounds pretty normal to me. 25$ for an exclusive/special edition of an album? Sounds pretty normal to me. The vinyl was what, 45$ Still sounds normal to me. And the opportunity to have a band hang out with you at your house and even make you food, or let you play on their album, overpriced or not, is pretty generous in my opinion. And frankly those options are only so steep because if they were reasonably priced they would have to do it for hundreds of people. Unless you say they are taking advantage of fans because they asked for so much money, in which case I will point out again, the amount of money they asked for has zero effect on the amount of money they will get, and it's nobody's business how much they are going to spend making the album, and promoting, and making videos, and touring, and creating new merch, and whatever else they are using this money for. Frankly, I don't give a shit if they turn 80% of the money into their personal salaries as long as everybody gets what they paid for because it's their money.
__________________
Music from my upcoming album...
Atlas Burden'
And for those who don't enjoy screaming...
Atlas' Burden (Instrumental)
And for those who really enjoyed that and want to hear other random songs unrelated to that album...
Other music
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.