Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #2981
Vauxite
Oliver.

He was really awkward with his hands, like he wasn't sure what to do with them.

Was nice to see him though, he seems as though he's enjoying what he's doing.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #2982
me+yourmom=69
Banned

forget guns & roses you need god and Moses
me+yourmom=69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #2983
Minkaro
UG Monkey

So there's this: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...al_3d_film.html

Setlist looks really good, would have liked TWAT on there, but that's just being greedy. No idea if it's actually going to come out in cinemas over here, but I'll do my best to get the DVD.

I've been known to wear a fine black suit and a murder of a tie
I've got miles on my shoes that your brothers can't buy

Twitter
Minkaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #2984
NirvanaLuvr16
UG's Jason Voorhees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minkaro
GEE AN ARE sux.

Whars Slosh?

*straightens tie, and glances around*

My favourites of CD are: Shackler's Revenge, TWAT and CITR.

G'NR sux???... U suk...
NirvanaLuvr16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #2985
Minkaro
UG Monkey

Sorry

Twitter
Old 06-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #2986
detrima

Hello ) ) ) ) )
Im new here on UG, and Im a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig Gn'R fan ♥
I would love to join the conversation )))))
detrima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #2987
_SuperShredder_

Hey remember when they didn't suck
_SuperShredder_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #2988
GezzyDiversion
Don't call me Shirley

Anyone in doubt about about CD, just give this song your unbiased and undivided attention for the next 6 minutes.

last.fm yo
GezzyDiversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #2989
Minkaro
UG Monkey

And 38 seconds after that. Don't be denying people that Buckethead goodness.

Appetite for Democracy needs to hurry up and come out...in the UK.

Twitter
Old 08-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #2990
GezzyDiversion
Don't call me Shirley

A nice insight into the new album, nice to keep the tradition of other band members singing songs

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...s_online.ht ml

last.fm yo
Old 08-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #2991
callumfrew97
me > you

I'm sure that Axl's new GnR is good and all... but I can't bring myself to listen to it as I believe it was Slash who made the band.. Axl was generally a bit of a pr*ck at concerts and things

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
everyone's the main guy in their own story
callumfrew97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #2992
GezzyDiversion
Don't call me Shirley

Chinese Democracy is worth a listen, only with an open mind can you appreciate it for the musical content, it's one of my favorite albums

last.fm yo
Old 10-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #2993
ArtistLion

I've read that Izzy Stradlin (sp?) wrote quite a bit of GnR songs. And that he and Slash had to figure out the guitar parts to Axl's lyrics (which makes sense, because they are the guitarists).
But I'm wondering if Izzy ever wrote some of Slash's riffs or even solos. Or did Izzy and Slash purely stuck to writing the riffs/solos for their own guitars? Does any GnR fan know some more about this?
ArtistLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #2994
RebelDawg13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistLion
I've read that Izzy Stradlin (sp?) wrote quite a bit of GnR songs. And that he and Slash had to figure out the guitar parts to Axl's lyrics (which makes sense, because they are the guitarists).
But I'm wondering if Izzy ever wrote some of Slash's riffs or even solos. Or did Izzy and Slash purely stuck to writing the riffs/solos for their own guitars? Does any GnR fan know some more about this?

They jammed a lot together, and would usually play similar style riffs in rhythm with one another. Slash would generally play single string or double stop licks and riffs, while Izzy would more often use full chords. Check out the intro to Nightrain for a perfect example of this.

With regards to solos they were all Slash, certainly all their flashy stuff. Izzy may have contributed a lick or two (I'm sure they exchanged a lot of guitar knowledge during their jam sessions), but Slash played almost all of them. Back off Bitch and Double Talkin Jive, both from Use Your Illusion I, are two instances of songs in which Izzy played lead - the main electric solo to Double Talkin Jive and then the intro to Back off Bitch.

Izzy would also come up with melodies, which Axl would take to add his own flair and incorporate them better into a song. Izzy's old style bluesy flavor formed the foundation for a lot of Guns songs.
RebelDawg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #2995
AdamDK
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDawg13
They jammed a lot together, and would usually play similar style riffs in rhythm with one another. Slash would generally play single string or double stop licks and riffs, while Izzy would more often use full chords. Check out the intro to Nightrain for a perfect example of this.

With regards to solos they were all Slash, certainly all their flashy stuff. Izzy may have contributed a lick or two (I'm sure they exchanged a lot of guitar knowledge during their jam sessions), but Slash played almost all of them. Back off Bitch and Double Talkin Jive, both from Use Your Illusion I, are two instances of songs in which Izzy played lead - the main electric solo to Double Talkin Jive and then the intro to Back off Bitch.

Izzy would also come up with melodies, which Axl would take to add his own flair and incorporate them better into a song. Izzy's old style bluesy flavor formed the foundation for a lot of Guns songs.

Slash plays the chords on the intro to Nightrain and Izzy the melody. I get what you're saying though. An example is Rocket Queen. After the slide guitar solo in Rocket Queen there's a cool riff which Slash plays on the E, A and D strings while Izzy plays some chords.

As far as solos I'd assume Slash wrote all of his and Izzy the few he played. There's a clear difference in style between Slash and Izzy's solos so I can't imagine Izzy writing or contributing licks to Slash's solos.
AdamDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #2996
RebelDawg13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDK
Slash plays the chords on the intro to Nightrain and Izzy the melody. I get what you're saying though. An example is Rocket Queen. After the slide guitar solo in Rocket Queen there's a cool riff which Slash plays on the E, A and D strings while Izzy plays some chords.

As far as solos I'd assume Slash wrote all of his and Izzy the few he played. There's a clear difference in style between Slash and Izzy's solos so I can't imagine Izzy writing or contributing licks to Slash's solos.

Yeah that's true, I just figured the odds are that one or two of the licks they traded the other ended up playing on a solo.
RebelDawg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #2997
GezzyDiversion
Don't call me Shirley

The Nightrain solo is the best example of their styles, the first section in B is Izzy's solo and when it changes to D is where Slash kicks in

last.fm yo
Old 12-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #2998
Demon Wolf
GT's Iron Fisted Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by GezzyDiversion
Chinese Democracy is worth a listen, only with an open mind can you appreciate it for the musical content, it's one of my favorite albums

ChiDem is incredible
Demon Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #2999
GezzyDiversion
Don't call me Shirley

Brilliant, I feel that Axl is pacing himself better with this song, but it's never going to be 100% on the vocal in a 3 hour set

last.fm yo
Old 01-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #3000
Tim Bach

Hey,

I've been checking out the UG forums, and I want to share my rock'n'roll fairy tale comic book called Guitar Phantasy. Since it was inspired by Slash's guitar work over the years, I thought you might like it.

Check out the art and links below.

The quick pitch is: Boy meets guitar. Boy fights demons. It's Scott Pilgrim meets Lord of the Rings. On a broader level, it's about the power of music, but also about the untapped power inside all of us.

The book is available digitally as a PDF for 99-cents at DriveThruComics.com or as a hard copy from Indy Planet for $3.50. At both sites, people can read a preview of the book.

You can find out more at the Moonrise Comics site: http://www.moonrisecomics.com/guitar-phantasy.html.

Thanks! And if you think it's cool, please share it with others.
Tim Bach is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: