Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-22-2013, 02:00 AM   #1
HammerParty

$400-500 Amp Choice

At the beginning of the next month I'm planning to buy a new head. So far I've narrowed it down to blackstar ht-5 and egnater tweaker 15. Learning towards the egnater due to the blackstar having solidstate components and that seems like it'd be more of a disadvantage to me for what I'm trying to achieve. What I'm looking for are different / best options that are available to me.

I'll be playing through a partially open back with a g12h30 speaker 1x12. My main concern is the clean channel, I currently own a vox lil night train and dislike that there isn't a clean channel, just a bright channel that adds treble to my tone, don't want this. Another thing that's important is volume, so a master volume is important as well. I'd prefer to have multi-channel as well, which is why I consider the blackstar as it has reverb and many different gain settings over the egnater. FX loops is needed.

The music I'll be playing is pretty much everything, so versatility is nice. Everything from 70s progressive rock to modern metal.

So are there any other options out there? It's too bad I can't try any of these amps due to the tiny town I live in. Thanks.

Last edited by HammerParty : 01-22-2013 at 02:02 AM.
HammerParty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 AM   #2
Silver Hilton
Old enough

I love my Egnater. I have the Rebel 30, which is simpler than the tweaker, but shares a lot of the same features. Great sound. I looked at the tweaker, and decided the switches weren't for me. The Rebel did everything I needed.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Silver Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerParty
At the beginning of the next month I'm planning to buy a new head. So far I've narrowed it down to blackstar ht-5 and egnater tweaker 15. Learning towards the egnater due to the blackstar having solidstate components and that seems like it'd be more of a disadvantage to me for what I'm trying to achieve. What I'm looking for are different / best options that are available to me.

I'll be playing through a partially open back with a g12h30 speaker 1x12. My main concern is the clean channel, I currently own a vox lil night train and dislike that there isn't a clean channel, just a bright channel that adds treble to my tone, don't want this. Another thing that's important is volume, so a master volume is important as well. I'd prefer to have multi-channel as well, which is why I consider the blackstar as it has reverb and many different gain settings over the egnater. FX loops is needed.

The music I'll be playing is pretty much everything, so versatility is nice. Everything from 70s progressive rock to modern metal.

So are there any other options out there? It's too bad I can't try any of these amps due to the tiny town I live in. Thanks.

if you want loud cleans, you will likely want more than 5watts or 15watts both will break up at practice environments. really the only time i would ever plan to gig either of those amps is if i was mi'd guaranteed every time you play out.

why do you want lower wattage?
more watts ~ more headroom.

________

edit: why so specific on the speaker? do you have it already?
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 01-22-2013 at 02:12 AM.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

Obligatory used JSX recommendation
Effects - TS9, MXR 10 Band EQ, Carbon Copy Delay
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
HammerParty

I'm not gigging with this. No need for it to be loud. Also forgot to add in OP, only new. Not a fan of used amps unless it's a must for example vintage.

I like the speaker, yes I already own it.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 AM   #6
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Bum
Obligatory used JSX recommendation

honestly that was what was going mention, but he wants a lower wattage.

he has a 1x12" with a 30 watt celestion. it would be a whole new setup.

$500 wont make it that far.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 AM   #7
HammerParty

Also to add, the blackstar ht-5r looks really good spec-wise, but from everything I've read with the solid state parts, it really effects the valve sound overall.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #8
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:

the bolded text isn't very clear, i thought meant that you needed something capable of high volume.

get the tweaker if you are dead set on one of the two. i owned one for a few months. its a nice little amp, but the longer you own it, it seems to sound more the same and like the switches aren't doing as much. i got tired of it. i got a killer from the trade for it. also make sure you have paper and a pen, because you have to re-dial everything in if you want to go from usa to brit or something like that.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 01-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #9
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Also to add, the blackstar ht-5r looks really good spec-wise, but from everything I've read with the solid state parts, it really effects the valve sound overall.

you keep ninja'ing me.

honestly sometimes spec sheets don't mean much. i would personally never recommend a ht5 to anybody. i have played them and didn't like them and found them to have a low tone to dollar coefficient.

and the company blatantly lies. i don't trust them.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 AM   #10
HammerParty

My mistake for not pointing out that low volume is needed.

I'm more dead-set on the blackstar tbh, but it seems like there's a lot of negative and positive reviews on it. Plus the solid state thing doesn't help my opinion at all, but like I said, looks good on paper and the youtube samples of it sound good. I couldn't find much on the tweaker, but not many bad reviews about it.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 AM   #11
romeozdistress

checkout jet city. or krank jrs.
Stanton T.62 Turntable
Presonus Audiobox USB
JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 AM   #12
Willowthewitch
Geek Grrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeozdistress
checkout jet city. or krank jrs.

+1
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847 Bad Monkey
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Willowthewitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 AM   #13
HammerParty

I was looking at the jca22h but the controls seem really confusing. A preamp section and master section with two knobs labeled crunch and overdrive, that's confusing. Why not just one master, you know?

Edit:On more research, it looks actually good once I figure out how to use I think. Does anyone know how these play at low volumes?

After doing some research, it seems like the jet city jca22h doesn't have a very good clean channel. Opinions?

Last edited by HammerParty : 01-22-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #14
HammerParty

bvmp, still looking for opinions. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 01-23-2013, 04:27 AM   #15
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
bvmp, still looking for opinions. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

you are more than capable of searching yourself.

the jca22 has two distortion channels. and not really a clean channel. it will break up at louder volumes. if thats fine with you. you can try on the crunch to raise the volume and lower the pregain as much and you will get some cleans, but i only owned a JCA2112RC three were dead on arrival. i didn't want a fourth (the JCA20 head same as the JCA2112RC) and a JCA50 (didn't like it).

you seem to have your sights on the blackstar, maybe thats what you want. i would advise but its your decision.

go play some amps at stores and see what you like. if its blackstar you like best get it. however i don't think you will last long (you will grow out of it).
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 01-23-2013, 04:33 AM   #16
HammerParty

No need to be rude. I'm trying to find all opinions about all the amps in this range. As I already stated I can't try them due to my tiny town and the place that would stock any of these is fours hours away. Maybe you misunderstood when I bumped that I was looking for opinions on the jet city alone, but I'm looking for all opinions as stated earlieri n this post.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 AM   #17
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
No need to be rude. I'm trying to find all opinions about all the amps in this range. As I already stated I can't try them due to my tiny town and the place that would stock any of these is fours hours away. Maybe you misunderstood when I bumped that I was looking for opinions on the jet city alone, but I'm looking for all opinions as stated earlieri n this post.

i am far from rude. here is every head readily available in the $300-$500 price range. go through them and listen to some youtube demos.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/tube...ge=20&v=g&Ns=bS
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
Old 01-23-2013, 04:44 AM   #18
HammerParty

Already have. But like I said, I'm looking for opinions in this range. To see if someone can pinpoint something directly for me that would be capable of everything I want. it's much more difficult to research opinions based on the title through google. If nobody can't, then I'll trust my gut feeling and choose with one, either way nobody is forcing anyone to reply. Regardless, I still appreciate everyone's feedback.

Rate This Thread: