Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #321
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage

I saw them with Deafheaven, ASIWYFA and Chelsea Wolfe. Never thought I'd sit through 3 straight opening bands who didn't make me want to kill myself.
pinheadslts75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #322
VishNuRoXoUt
They call me Karebear...

Wait who didn't make you want to kill yourself? That would be easy. Did you mean Never thought you'd sit through three bands that made you want to kill yourself?

τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ ∞

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote:
Originally Posted by My buddy, Maxwell
I think that's really what we want out of life. Sugar mommas and verellens.
VishNuRoXoUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #323
Gene-Ocide

Just discovered this band: http://spiderkitten.bandcamp.com/album/cougar-club

Also, everyone should listen to Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats:
Chewing on flesh, gnawing on bones!
Gene-Ocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #324
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

^ that's killer. real nice fuzz.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #325
VishNuRoXoUt
They call me Karebear...

So I have an interesting story.
I went down state in Michigan to do an amp trade.

Driving back, the right lane on the highway froze and I couldn't tell, but as I was slowing down I hit a patch of black ice and flipped my 96 Geo Tracker into the median of the high way. Full barrel roll. Ended up on my wheels, car could still run. In the grand scheme of things only minor damage to the vehicle and my person is 100% unscathed.

Though, even though I reached over to grab the amp mid way through the roll. The power tubes are donezo. So I'm gonna take it in for a once-over and have it tubed and biased.

I traded a Vox AC50cp2 2x12 combo I picked up in a trade for this Laney VH100R...

Really bummed the tubes died. But I want to put slightly better 6L6s in it anyways.

So I'll get her going soon enough.

τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ ∞

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #326
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Whoa. That's ****ing crazy man, glad you're alright. Amp and car too.
My dad's friend did that with a bottle of wine and a salmon in the car, and it all went everywhere.
So when the sheriff drove up and the guy smelled like alcohol, you could say
something smelled fishy.

anyway, nice trade too. I've tried the GH laney which I think is your amp's dirty channel.
Pretty nice amp.

also, dat pic behind the amp
Old 02-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #327
godgrinder

Some shameless self promotion:

We are a Sludge/Doom Metal band from Auckland, New Zealand. Influenced by Burning Witch, Khanate, Saint Vitus, Noothgrush, Winter & Thergothon. Album coming soon on Mordgrimm Records (UK), 2 tracks up for streaming here:
http://mosquitocontrol.bandcamp.com

https://www.facebook.com/mosquitocontrolband

------------------

On a side note: Picked up an Orange PPC412 for a good price and got rid of my Marshall 1960A, the Orange sounds so much better.
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
godgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #328
VishNuRoXoUt
They call me Karebear...

Yeah, glad I'm solid. The VH100Rs dirty channel is massive. But I love the cleans. Which is why I wanted one so bad. Super versatile.

and that is the great Alicia Keys sir, show some r'spect. ha. She's my favourite.

And that band name isn't heavy at all. I love it. haha
And I dug my Orange 4x12, but I think my Mesa has a bit more clarity. My orange seemed to get pretty muddy at higher volumes. My Mesa does not. To each their own though. I'm sure it beats the 1960A. I miss my 1960BV. :\

τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ ∞

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote:

Last edited by VishNuRoXoUt : 02-06-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #329
godgrinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishNuRoXoUt
And that band name isn't heavy at all. I love it. haha
And I dug my Orange 4x12, but I think my Mesa has a bit more clarity. My orange seemed to get pretty muddy at higher volumes. My Mesa does not. To each their own though. I'm sure it beats the 1960A. I miss my 1960BV. :\

The name was taken from the first Isis EP, although we don't even sound like Isis haha.

I looked into a Mesa but it's pretty much impossible to find a closed back 4x12" here for a good price. Everyone here wants to sell theirs to rich metalcore kids and recoup their money as much as possible.
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
godgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #330
VishNuRoXoUt
They call me Karebear...

Oh right. You're neighbors of Oz. **** that place. hahaha. Though I see your Orange has greenbacks which probably helps A TON. That's probably rad as hell with the JCM800.

τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ ∞

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote:
Old 02-28-2013, 02:31 AM   #331
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
So I have an interesting story.
I went down state in Michigan to do an amp trade.

Driving back, the right lane on the highway froze and I couldn't tell, but as I was slowing down I hit a patch of black ice and flipped my 96 Geo Tracker into the median of the high way. Full barrel roll. Ended up on my wheels, car could still run. In the grand scheme of things only minor damage to the vehicle and my person is 100% unscathed.

Though, even though I reached over to grab the amp mid way through the roll. The power tubes are donezo. So I'm gonna take it in for a once-over and have it tubed and biased.

I traded a Vox AC50cp2 2x12 combo I picked up in a trade for this Laney VH100R...

Really bummed the tubes died. But I want to put slightly better 6L6s in it anyways.

So I'll get her going soon enough.

Holy shit! Lucky and badass, glad you're fine.

Also, love my VH100R, too.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #332
VishNuRoXoUt
They call me Karebear...

Good news!

I came home for the weekend for school today and was literally like, "Let's plug this and and see if it feels like working..."

I had the volume cranked because it was making noise at one point just really quiet. I turn it on and wait like five minutes them come switch the standby and get an explosion to the face.

So it works. ****ing love this amp. haha. Selling the VTM60.

τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ ∞

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote:
Old 03-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #333
SMB13
Lead Bass

I'm trying to doom out my guitar setup. I'm running a Peavey Ultra+ into a Marshall 1960a with a Samick TR-4. I'll eventually replace the electronics in the guitar, so I'm mainly trying to figure out my amp setup/pedals.

I'd eventually like to replace my amp with something with EL34's for some added grit/mids to help cut through my onslaught of bass frequenices, and preferably multi-channel (thinking Marshall). In the mean time though I'm thinking of running a couple to a few OD's in front of the amp and just drive the hell out of the signal before it gets to the amp and then cranking the amp (possibly clean channel, and rolling back the volume for cleans leaving the other channels for leads and such).

Any tips/gear recommendations to get me a better doom sound? Thanks guys!
SMB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #334
VishNuRoXoUt
They call me Karebear...

Hey man. For a super biased opinion. Check out the VH100R. I haven't been more impressed with a multichannel amp that can get to doom territory. I think it has a pretty powerful EQ and the presence knob and resonance switch do a lot so it's pretty versatile. But it sounds HUGE. I mean, I'm sure my cab helps as well. But that would be good if you're eventually looking for another amp.

As far as pedals. I really like huge sounding fuzz pedals into a clean channel with a fair amount of headroom. I LOVED the Blunderbuss Musket from Blackout Effectors. For a gainy as piss, very thick sounding doomy sound it really excelled. haha.
As far as overdrives, I've never been a fan of boosting a gain channel. I never quite got the results everyone likes so much. And I've owned a SLEW of high gain amps and single channel amps.

A lot of people have different taste for doomy tone though. For instance, I'm really picky when it comes to a vintage sounding doom sound. Like, a JMP with the pre and master knobs on Ten is the best sound I've personally played on. I like getting there most with high gain modernish amps like the VH100R, the Fender Reissue Sunn Model T, etc. opposed to the usual Vintage Sunn Model T, JCM800s, Sovtek Migs, Vintage Peavey Butcher/VTMs, etc.

τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ ∞

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote:

Last edited by VishNuRoXoUt : 03-06-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #335
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

^ did you type your last sentence right. Maybe it is my but is seems contradictory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB13
I'm trying to doom out my guitar setup. I'm running a Peavey Ultra+ into a Marshall 1960a with a Samick TR-4. I'll eventually replace the electronics in the guitar, so I'm mainly trying to figure out my amp setup/pedals.

I'd eventually like to replace my amp with something with EL34's for some added grit/mids to help cut through my onslaught of bass frequenices, and preferably multi-channel (thinking Marshall).

What's wrong with the Ultra? Like, too much headroom?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #336
SMB13
Lead Bass

Quote:
Hey man. For a super biased opinion. Check out the VH100R. I haven't been more impressed with a multichannel amp that can get to doom territory. I think it has a pretty powerful EQ and the presence knob and resonance switch do a lot so it's pretty versatile. But it sounds HUGE. I mean, I'm sure my cab helps as well. But that would be good if you're eventually looking for another amp.

As far as pedals. I really like huge sounding fuzz pedals into a clean channel with a fair amount of headroom. I LOVED the Blunderbuss Musket from Blackout Effectors. For a gainy as piss, very thick sounding doomy sound it really excelled. haha.
As far as overdrives, I've never been a fan of boosting a gain channel. I never quite got the results everyone likes so much. And I've owned a SLEW of high gain amps and single channel amps.

A lot of people have different taste for doomy tone though. For instance, I'm really picky when it comes to a vintage sounding doom sound. Like, a JMP with the pre and master knobs on Ten is the best sound I've personally played on. I like getting there with either high gain modernish amps like the VH100R, the Fender Reissue Sunn Model T, etc. opposed to the usual Vintage Sunn Model T, JCM800s, Sovtek Migs, Vintage Peavey Butcher/VTMs, etc.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions I'll keep an eye out for the Laney (as well as the fuzz pedal) and see if I can't try/snag one up. I've never played a Laney, but surely Opeth and Sabbath can't be wrong, right? Lol.

On a semi-related note, I've ran an OD into the clean and dirty channels. They give different sounds for sure, but running an OD through a gain channel I've noticed really makes it more raw, and tight (good for more modern, I'd reckon).

Any other input?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #337
SMB13
Lead Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ did you type your last sentence right. Maybe it is my but is seems contradictory.

What's wrong with the Ultra? Like, too much headroom?

Nothing wrong with it per se, just one the ultimate tone quest. The grass is always greener on the other side, right? I guess for what I'm going for it sounds too modern-ish I suppose. I want something with more hair, grit. That's why I was looking into something with EL34's like a Marshall or Blackstar.

More sonic thickness/different gain structure, for short I suppose.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #338
VishNuRoXoUt
They call me Karebear...

Think I might have fixed the sentence you were talking about, 311. Check and elaborate?

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the suggestions I'll keep an eye out for the Laney (as well as the fuzz pedal) and see if I can't try/snag one up. I've never played a Laney, but surely Opeth and Sabbath can't be wrong, right? Lol.

On a semi-related note, I've ran an OD into the clean and dirty channels. They give different sounds for sure, but running an OD through a gain channel I've noticed really makes it more raw, and tight (good for more modern, I'd reckon).

Any other input?

You can check out similar fuzz pedals. I really like Muff based fuzz pedals so I'm inclined to recommend the Hoof, Pharaoh, Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian... etc. Though I prefer the Musket to all of them.

Yeah, I don't like the super tight sounding high gain I guess. putting an OD into my gain channel never gave me results I liked. I'm probably an outlier to a lot of doom guys though. I know most people just need a high wattage vintage amp. Something like a sunn or a JCM800 (or similar models) with a Rat or something. haha.

Also, I really don't like Blackstar amps. haha

τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ ∞

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote:
Old 03-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #339
SMB13
Lead Bass

Quote:
Think I might have fixed the sentence you were talking about, 311. Check and elaborate?

You can check out similar fuzz pedals. I really like Muff based fuzz pedals so I'm inclined to recommend the Hoof, Pharaoh, Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian... etc. Though I prefer the Musket to all of them.

Yeah, I don't like the super tight sounding high gain I guess. putting an OD into my gain channel never gave me results I liked. I'm probably an outlier to a lot of doom guys though. I know most people just need a high wattage vintage amp. Something like a sunn or a JCM800 (or similar models) with a Rat or something. haha.

Also, I really don't like Blackstar amps. haha

Sweet, thanks a lot man

Time to start doing some eBay/CL hunting lol.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #340
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
A lot of people have different taste for doomy tone though. For instance, I'm really picky when it comes to a vintage sounding doom sound. Like, a JMP with the pre and master knobs on Ten is the best sound I've personally played on. I like getting there most with high gain modernish amps like the VH100R, the Fender Reissue Sunn Model T, etc. opposed to the usual Vintage Sunn Model T, JCM800s, Sovtek Migs, Vintage Peavey Butcher/VTMs, etc.

So a cranked JMP is more modern sounding than a JCM800/Mig/VTM?

That's where I got confused.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with it per se, just one the ultimate tone quest. The grass is always greener on the other side, right? I guess for what I'm going for it sounds too modern-ish I suppose. I want something with more hair, grit. That's why I was looking into something with EL34's like a Marshall or Blackstar.

More sonic thickness/different gain structure, for short I suppose.

You have EL34s now. I can see the modern'ish part but I guess I always thought the Ultra was less modern than the XXX for example but now I see what you are saying I suppose.

I don't know....maybe a Splawn Quick Rod

v...clicky...v

Rate This Thread: