Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #41
SReed87

The sad part is I PAID $25 for the lesson. I think I paid more to watch him play then actually learning. He did show me some of his bands material and helped me fix the notes i was playing wrong. As far as my guitar playing goes, I play rhythm as of now. I would like to learn more than the major pentatonic. I also want better improv skills. I'm playing along with backing tracks right now, which sorta helps. I'm just feeling boxed in all the time. Also would like to be more knowledgable about the instrument I spend hours with daily..
SReed87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #42
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

If you want to get better, practice.

You would also probably find getting a teacher who can teach specific styles you may want to learn. For instance, if you want to learn more theory, then hire a guitar teacher with excellent knowledge of theory to teach you theory. Etc.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 01-28-2013 at 12:08 AM.
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #43
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Yeah, get yourself a local teacher that you can see face-to-face. Online lessons are fine as far as they go, but I've yet to find a decent substitute for sitting in the same room as someone who's a better player than you are and asking them question that they can demonstrate the answers to right in front of your eyes.

If you don't know the names of any local teachers try using the Internet and looking for recommendations. If you're really stuck and want lots of confusing advice or you're looking for a chat try here!
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #44
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

A good way to find teachers is to ask around the music department (if you're in college; otherwise, ask your high school music teachers). You can also go into guitar shops in the area and ask them. Most shops have a few teachers and some practice rooms in the back.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #45
Hail
kill both bass players

just use bandhappy and pick a guy who actually knows what he's doing if you want a famous teacher
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #46
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SReed87
The sad part is I PAID $25 for the lesson. I think I paid more to watch him play then actually learning. He did show me some of his bands material and helped me fix the notes i was playing wrong. As far as my guitar playing goes, I play rhythm as of now. I would like to learn more than the major pentatonic. I also want better improv skills. I'm playing along with backing tracks right now, which sorta helps. I'm just feeling boxed in all the time. Also would like to be more knowledgable about the instrument I spend hours with daily..

It would've been easier to flush $25 dollars down the toilet, surely? The thing is, some ppl can do the self taught route, and others can't.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #47
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
It would've been easier to flush $25 dollars down the toilet, surely? The thing is, some ppl can do the self taught route, and others can't.

I generally find musicians whom are self taught often have flaws in their technique and/or music theory knowledge which go either unfixed or take longer to fix than if they had learnt the correct way the first time. It happened to me, roughly 6 years in I sought out a teacher to fix my picking technique (could only flat pick). It took me a year as I had done it incorrectly for 6.

Rate This Thread: