Password
Search:

Old 01-31-2013, 12:29 AM   #1441
#1 synth
Weeow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccer
how certain words create impact on self

this is the quintessential question of contemporary psychology and how it relates to culture. it's the frontier that is just aching to be explored and redefined.
#1 synth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 AM   #1442
Eccer
Serial Lurker

It really is...
We humans are too contrived on what's going on around us, that we fail to notice how WE build our planet according to our mind. We live in a world of mantra, where the picture tells what is and what is not. So is that really the answer? Or should we look beyond this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs

you should look into linguistics if you like that stuff. really interesting stuff

for example, about the 'badness' of words: in spanish the word we use for 'left' as in right and left, is 'izquierda', a word of vasque origin.
the reason we use that word and not the normal spanish one we originally had, 'siniestra', is because people started having bad feelings about 'the left side', as in there's a lot of superstitions and bad (religious?) stuff surrounding it, (hence why we call 'siniestro' something bad or dark, w.e.). they tried to avoid it, people didn't want to say the spanish word when they talked about the left side so they took another word (a vasque word) to replace the original one.

i think that type of stuff is dumb lol. still interesting

So silly, just proves how primal we still are lol. But interesting nontheless.

Last edited by Eccer : 01-31-2013 at 02:05 AM.
Eccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #1443
ali.guitarkid7
a real man

look at you scared now hoe
ali.guitarkid7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #1444
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7
Really? I mean, can an unnamed piece of music give you the same image or idea it will to another person? Ten other people? My point is that a poem can do that, it doesn't have to but it can. Same with painting, photography, a film etc. Music is an abstract art, at best it can provide mood/tone, but never meaning.
I can't find a meaning to an instrumental piece of music, other than the obvious themes of peace, anger, tiredness, etc. But I do think that instrumental music is highly evocative, it just doesn't posses the same emotions as lyrical music. I generally prefer something with good vocals and words, but I can definitely appreciate a ten minute classical masterpiece or a rich Post-Rock tune.
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #1445
ali.guitarkid7
a real man

I actually mostly listen to instrumental music. Lyrics can become too distracting for me.

look at you scared now hoe
ali.guitarkid7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #1446
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

I think I just played the best show of my life and signed with a new little German record label with European distribution in the same 24hrs. Woo!

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
jiminizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #1447
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminizzle
I think I just played the best show of my life and signed with a new little German record label with European distribution in the same 24hrs. Woo!
Woah, congratulations, mate!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #1448
ZanasCross
C(k)=Epsilon(ijk)A(i)B(j)

^ Congrats man!

EDIT: ghost'd by a goldfish. ^ => ^^
ZanasCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #1449
#1 synth
Weeow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminizzle

congrats man!

my friends little brother just got into Berklee. talented little sunabitch
Old 02-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #1450
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

^that's awesome! and impressive

thanks guys. And now on top of everything there's this post on a major indie website http://prettymuchamazing.com/music/...ank-bill-murray
also got free pancakes this morning, free lunch at this reception after an amazing talk from Salman Akhtar, and soon to claim a free dinner at a show in DC.
life = good

Quote:
EDIT: ghost'd by a goldfish. ^ => ^^

Those instrumental tracks were awesome by the way. I really like the melodies and overall songwriting. The bandname also made me smile

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Old 02-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #1451
#1 synth
Weeow!

I know you understand when I say I am sure the free pancakes were the best part of the entire deal.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #1452
pixiesfanyo
the pain is easy

everytime i had free pancakes in europe they were cold ..
pixiesfanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #1453
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

Where did you go in Europe? Yeah Dylan, the pancakes were glorious

Winter Competition Sign ups are now up:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...17#post31011917
not gonna run a really long sign up period on this one so please just go for it now if you want to participate

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Old 02-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #1454
#1 synth
Weeow!

last night i sprinted up the empire state building. tonight i'm getting shitfaced with seminarians. tomorrow a snow storm is going to come snow us all in.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #1455
stratkat
IWTCIRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1 synth
congrats man!

my friends little brother just got into Berklee. talented little sunabitch

I went to berklee, I got a gpa of 4.0

Of course they're not known for their electronic classes, I know their other classes actually have auditions and stuff. Gamechops was actually in my class though, which was pretty cool.

I don't have enough money to get a degree though.

S&L is still filled with the same people after 7 years....
stratkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #1456
Final
i'manevenworsemess.

Any of you kids big movie buffs? There's this one movie I watched a few years ago with my ex and the only part we can remember of it is when a guy breaks/sneaks into his girlfriend?/ex?s place and steals a parrot and drives it out to a forest and releases it.. Okay, so I don't remember it quite so well, however, figuring out what movie that is from has been bothering me forever.. Anybody have any ideas? Hell, it may even be from
A television program, haha.
Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #1457
Bleed Away
th.

Can depression seriously affect grades?

Last edited by Bleed Away : 02-11-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Bleed Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #1458
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Away
Can depression seriously affect grades?
It can. I almost totally failed my school exams back when I was 16/17 because I was feeling low. Depression causes lack of motivation. I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about specifically, but it's what happened to me.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #1459
Bleed Away
th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish
It can. I almost totally failed my school exams back when I was 16/17 because I was feeling low. Depression causes lack of motivation. I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about specifically, but it's what happened to me.

Yes, I'm in a similar state. I am constantly feeling low/empty and that has been affecting my grades. I did not do as well as I did last year, at all, despite working much harder. In a course that I did really, really well last year - I struggled with this year's progress test (despite the progress test being A LOT easier than the exam we had last year). I HAD to work extremely hard to stay on top of things. In the end I received grades that are lower than last years.

Last edited by Bleed Away : 02-11-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Bleed Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #1460
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

It's tough accepting that your grades will be affected by your emotions. Some would say they don't have to be, but sadly they will, and the sooner you accept this the better. I'm not giving you an ultimatum; quite the opposite in fact. The sooner you accept your drawbacks the sooner you will move on with your life. But also remember that they may be temporary. No one can say for sure whether or not they will be, but ignore your heritage and respect yourself and your aspirations.

We're all told on a daily basic that it's not acceptable to let your depression affect your grades, but that's just not fair. It makes it worse when we're given such conditions. Life is far from black and white. You can function normally with depression; you can fail a couple of tests and still succeed; you can relax and be active. Life is a balancing act; you simply have a heavier weight one side now.

Now, there are little things you can do to help remedy the situation. One is to make sure you're getting plenty of relaxation, such as having having sex, reading novels, going for walks, etc. Another thing to do is take Valerian root supplements at around 9 or 10pm so that you fall asleep quicker and get plenty of rest. Sleep is crucial, as is a solid routine, so try not to let your sleeping pattern get out of hand.

I will also suggest finding a psychologist or CBT officer to talk with. Set up an appointment with your local GP and request a referral to a psychologist or therapist, or even a psychiatrist—You may need to be medicated as well as provided verbal assistance. Again, do not fear these things. They do not make you weak. In fact, it makes you strong when you admit your shortcomings and seek help.

Finally, avoid stressful situations as best as you can. That includes demanding relationships, expensive and unnecessary car payments, exasperating jobs, etc. Give yourself a break, take your time, and treat yourself delicately. You'll be surprised how far a much-needed break can take you.