Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #16481
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

So I'm thinking about going to university to do composition. Current situation is I did pretty badly at A levels because I aced GCSE's without even trying which didn't do much for my work ethic and for the past year I've been doing odd jobs and a music performance foundation degree at a local college to avoid having to work full time but I'm bored of living at home and I've discovered my brain enjoys correct voice leading.

I'm wondering if any of you know what's available, preferably in the UK, and what the requirements are. My current qualifications are an A in GCSE Music, a C in A level Music Tech and grade 8 classical guitar. I'll also have a music performance FD by the end of the year hopefully. My main concern is that I'll end up having to take A level music, which I wanted to do when I was 16 but didn't because god knows why, but if it ends up being a requirement I don't mind going back to college again. I'm pretty sure this is what I want to do with myself now.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #16482
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

It varies a fair amount between universities. Probably the best thing to do is to pick a handful of universities whose courses you like the look of and then ring them up and ask them what their entrance requirements are for the course. It's far easier to do that than it is to trawl through the online brochures.

Probably you'll find that competition is fairly stiff for uni places and you're going to need those A levels. I had a quick look at the Leeds Uni brochure, for example, and they require 'A' passes at A-level and ABRSM Grade 8 Distinction or equivalent for their BMus course.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #16483
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Yeah, this is the kind of thing I was worried about. They all want a certain standard in more than just music, which means I'm probably going to have to retake A levels starting next year. Guess I brought this on myself.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #16484
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Well yeah, but don't sweat it. If you're determined to go to uni it'll be worth the effort and if you do your A levels and it causes you to change your mind then you won't be thousands of pounds in debt.

Personally I wish I'd done a music degree instead of philosophy but what's done is done. On the plus side I've managed to get a decent job off the back of the degree I did get, so now I can afford to have private composition tuition and try to do as much as I can in what spare time I have.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #16485
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Talk to Griff, he'd probably know better than anyone here about what they expect from your pre-undergrad academics. The education system is so different in North America that I can't even begin to help you. The other thing is e-mail or call a few universities that you're interested in and ask them about how important A-levels are to the admissions process (this one would depend on exactly how badly you did).

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #16486
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietsche
So I'm thinking about going to university to do composition. Current situation is I did pretty badly at A levels because I aced GCSE's without even trying which didn't do much for my work ethic and for the past year I've been doing odd jobs and a music performance foundation degree at a local college to avoid having to work full time but I'm bored of living at home and I've discovered my brain enjoys correct voice leading.

I'm wondering if any of you know what's available, preferably in the UK, and what the requirements are. My current qualifications are an A in GCSE Music, a C in A level Music Tech and grade 8 classical guitar. I'll also have a music performance FD by the end of the year hopefully. My main concern is that I'll end up having to take A level music, which I wanted to do when I was 16 but didn't because god knows why, but if it ends up being a requirement I don't mind going back to college again. I'm pretty sure this is what I want to do with myself now.

The requirements for most of the unis I applied for were grade 8 in your instrument and at least a B in A level music.

At the time of application I was doing a BTEC in music performance, Music Tech and only AS Music. I got an offer back requiring that I get a double distinction in performance, a B in Tech, a B in AS and pass a grade 7 theory exam, which I did.

I think they want an A level in music just to know that your theory is up to scratch, take a higher level theory exam, then apply. If you don't get in then it's probably best to go back and do A level music.

Edit: Also, whilst phoning up unis and asking them about their requirements is good, it's not definitive, I phoned up and was told I would need a full A level in music but I applied anyway and got a conditional offer.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?

Last edited by griffRG7321 : 02-06-2013 at 01:43 PM.
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #16487
Hail
kill both bass players

i choked from laughing
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #16488
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

That scale made me both happy and sad. Must be modal.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #16489
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Do any of you fine gentlemen have this DVD (Accelerate Your Guitar Playing by Tomo Fujita)?
Or more precisely, do and of you fine gentlemen have a .pdf of the accompanying booklet/sheet music for tht DVD?
More precisely yet, do any of you fine gentlemen fancy sending me said document?
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.

Last edited by Hydra150 : 02-06-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #16490
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
Do any of you fine gentlemen have this DVD (Accelerate Your Guitar Playing by Tomo Fujita)?
Or more precisely, do and of you fine gentlemen have a .pdf of the accompanying booklet/sheet music for tht DVD?
More precisely yet, do any of you fine gentlemen fancy sending me said document?

you're in very much the wrong place my friend, the shitty forums where people care about speed exercises are every other fucking one
Old 02-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #16491
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
you're in very much the wrong place my friend, the shitty forums where people care about speed exercises are every other fucking one

I get the feeling you haven't seen the DVD.
Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #16492
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
I get the feeling you haven't seen the DVD.

idc it says guitar and fast on it it has to be bad
Old 02-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #16493
Hydra150
not so cowardly

It's somewhat misleadingly titles. I like to think he was trying to trick speed-obsessed guitarists into learning something useful.
Quote:
Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #16494
Hail
kill both bass players

like playing an instrument that doesn't suck?

unless it's stu hamm in a wig i honestly don't see any benefit for that DVD existing
Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #16495
Hydra150
not so cowardly

It's Stu Hamm in a wig.
Quote:
Old 02-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #16496
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Quote:
i choked from laughing

I got cancer.

I just finished transcribing Jeux d'eau by Ravel.

Now, to arrange it...
Old 02-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #16497
Hail
kill both bass players

today i found an old 2mm pick i used from when i played guitar, used it to play bass

everything fast was a lot easier but also a lot easier to be sloppy

now i remember why i switched. it's really ****ing hard to fake finger tone
Old 02-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #16498
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Quote:
today i found an old 2mm pick i used from when i played guitar, used it to play bass

everything fast was a lot easier but also a lot easier to be sloppy

now i remember why i switched. it's really ****ing hard to fake finger tone

Fingers > Picks on bass.

Getting into Augmented Sixth chords now, such as the French/Italian/German stuff.

Have any of you guys heard of David Damschoder? He's my theory instructor at the University of Minnesota and hes written around half a dozen books about different ways to look at functional harmony and what not. He's basically making us learn an entirely different way of analysis.

For instance, in a minor/Major key the tonic is always I, and the iio or ii is now II. A V/V is going to be written as a II -> V, and in order to notate a dominant in a minor key you have to show that the 3rd has been altered into the leading tone.

Its weird.

Anyway, here's Perassic Park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMgF...eature=youtu.be
Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #16499
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Is Brutal
Getting into Augmented Sixth chords now, such as the French/Italian/German stuff.

Have any of you guys heard of David Damschoder? He's my theory instructor at the University of Minnesota and hes written around half a dozen books about different ways to look at functional harmony and what not. He's basically making us learn an entirely different way of analysis.

For instance, in a minor/Major key the tonic is always I, and the iio or ii is now II. A V/V is going to be written as a II -> V, and in order to notate a dominant in a minor key you have to show that the 3rd has been altered into the leading tone.

Its weird.

Never heard of him, but all of that is a normal style of chord notation, other than the II -> V. Our theory teacher did the thing where all chords are just I II III IV V VI VII regardless of quality, and it's actually really useful when you get into highly chromaticized music where the quality doesn't actually matter that much functionally.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #16500
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Is Brutal
Fingers > Picks on bass.

on everything really

but i have gotten into a technique where i can switch between thumping and picking quickly by using my thumb as the plectrum. kinda debunked my thought that i'd need to use a pick and be weighed down by it to get that sharp attack in my tone, but it's really not necessary with proper dynamics.

still fun for nostalgia to remember my guitar'ing days and all the horrors that brought upon my village

Rate This Thread: