Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
awesomo41894

Jazz fusion jam (C4C)

Ive been listening to tons of jazz fusion lately (like tom quayle and guthrie govan) so i decided to just make a quick jazz fusion improv myself. Its over a super short, super simple backing track i made, its basically just Gmin7 C9 D9, a I IV V more or less, just with a few chords thrown in and a jazzy feel. Improv wise i tried to be different, and still have feeling in it. Id love to hear what u guys think!
http://soundcloud.com/awesomo41894/...jazz-fusion-jam

as always Ill C4C

Thanks,

Jake P
awesomo41894 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
terran236

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo41894
Ive been listening to tons of jazz fusion lately (like tom quayle and guthrie govan) so i decided to just make a quick jazz fusion improv myself. Its over a super short, super simple backing track i made, its basically just Gmin7 C9 D9, a I IV V more or less, just with a few chords thrown in and a jazzy feel. Improv wise i tried to be different, and still have feeling in it. Id love to hear what u guys think!
http://soundcloud.com/awesomo41894/...jazz-fusion-jam

as always Ill C4C

Thanks,

Jake P

Thanks for reviewing the white walls cover! Now on to the judgement.

The playing was great!, i feel the guitar could use maybe a little less volume and distortion it sounded like it was clipping. Maybe its just my speakers. But other than that, its got potential. Flesh it out man! I guess when i think jazz fusion, i imagine allan holdsworth clean tone, maybe im biased lol. Good job nonetheless.
terran236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
tjflick

lol you ripped on me for bad vibrato, and then ask me to critique this???

Okay then. First of all, way too distorted for my tastes. It sounds like just overly processed signal. The legato runs don't have a bit of definition to them, and sound like water to my ears. Playing fast is just fine, but you gotta have some definition between the notes.

I listen to a lot of fusion stuff, and I'm not hearing anything remotely close in the leadwork that fits with that progression. But I guess you can just call it "prog".

Sorry, but there really isn't anything with this that works for me.

Last edited by tjflick : 02-07-2013 at 06:15 PM.
tjflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
terran236

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjflick
lol you ripped on me for bad vibrato, and then ask me to critique this???

Okay then. First of all, way too distorted for my tastes. It sounds like just overly processed signal. The legato runs don't have a bit of definition to them, and sound like water to my ears. Playing fast is just fine, but you gotta have some definition between the notes.

I listen to a lot of fusion stuff, and I'm not hearing anything remotely close in the leadwork that fits with that progression. But I guess you can just call it "prog".

Sorry, but there really isn't anything with this that works for me.

Sorry to chime in but you sound mad. It's just constructive criticism. Learn from your past mistakes and get better. That's what C4C means. Critique 4 critique. If all you want to hear is praise itl be harder to learn from mistakes.

Last edited by terran236 : 02-07-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
tjflick

I can deal with criticism just fine, but at least let it come from someone whose composition is at least remotely comparable.

He was honest. I was honest. Isn't that what this is supposed to be? I'm not mad in the least bit, believe me. I've gotten far worse criticism for my stuff in the past. I just expected the return song to be ....hell....at least recorded halfway decent?
tjflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Bazz22

Good playing, I think the tone may've been a bit too distorted, because in some of your faster runs, note definition got thrown out the window.
Bazz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
terran236

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjflick
I can deal with criticism just fine, but at least let it come from someone whose composition is at least remotely comparable.

He was honest. I was honest. Isn't that what this is supposed to be? I'm not mad in the least bit, believe me. I've gotten far worse criticism for my stuff in the past. I just expected the return song to be ....hell....at least recorded halfway decent?

Ah, then again i apologize for chiming in! It's hard to interpret someones tone through the internet. For it is a cold language!

Good day peeps.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
barbuzim1

first of all:

for someone who says he is learning- you are on the right trek. The Greg howe/Guthrei Goven heavier sound.

if you really wish to dig in to this style here is a few pointers:
1. the backing track should be spot on. there is something really wonky going with the drums. Jazz,funk & latin music should be supper accurate in the groove & time (all are basicly dance music & if the groove is not there you can't dance). Try to copy a 4 or 8 bars of drums from a simple fusion tune you like & build the backing trek around it.
2. try to apply some rock-fusion licks in your playing. it will make your playing more "in the style" & will give your solo a beginning of a structure.
3. play with the backing trek groove. try to accent the drums part in your fast runs.
4. try to listen more carefully to the way that your musical Idols articulate & imitate that. the way they slide in to or out of a phrase, the way they bend, the type of vibrato ect.

good luck
barbuzim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
awesomo41894

Thanks for the crit everybody. ig to start off, this is in no way meant to be a composition. this is literally something i threw together in 10 mins. Just for fun. Its not meant to be strictly jazz fusion, its just odd. Its also not meant to be a serious recording. It was my first take over a track, and i thought it sounded kinda neat. I appreciate all the crit and advice! Thanks guys! (ALSO, I admit ik next to nothing about fusion haha im more of a blues/hair metal guitarist haha)
awesomo41894 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
aaron aardvark

awesomo41894,
Nice lead guitar! I'd like to hear a complete song with it. Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1586943
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: