Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-10-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
AWACS
I want all of the things

Nooby bass Q

Medium length post. Guitarist of 7 years looking for advice on buying first bass.

I'm looking at picking up a bass for my band (nobody really wants to play bass but I think we really need it) and I have a couple of options. They are beginner's basses, and I don't need anything to great as of yet, this is just what is available. I would also need an amp. Haven't plugged any of them in yet. I will have to actually go back and try them out more. My band plays blues- hard-, post-, and pop-rock. The plan is to go 70/30 with guitar and bass respectively with the band.

Peavy Milestone III ($129 used) http://www.peavey.com/products/inde...%26nbsp%3BBlack

Seems alright. It has a tag for $129, could probably get it for around $100. Shape is cool, controls seem fine, the one in the shop has very little wear on it, from a glance. J style is cool, not too sure about the hardware.

Rockbass (by Warwick) Streamer Standard 5-String ~$699 iirc
http://www.warwick.de/modules/produ...kID=47578&cl=EN

Style is fine by me. Not too hot on the pickups. Not really looking to swap them out for anything else. Seems like the best option, but again, I just need something to get by on. Its almost too good. Hardware seems fine on it. "Nirvana black finish", whatever. Best case, I could get it for $100 off. I think I would rather have a 4 string instead of a 5 as well... The strings are also very flubby but I think that's because it was left in standard A (ADGCF) tuning for a while. Style is cool. Love the tuners.

Fender Starcaster - $299
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass...aster-jazz-bass

Just remembered it was on sale at the shop ( ). I believe it was tagged for $299. Yes, it is stupidly marked up. Not really considering it, but it's there as an option.

So, any help guys?

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
Alucard817

Honestly. out of the three I would go with the Peavey. I hate Warwicks (Flame shield on) and Starcasters have questionable quality control.

Peavey has some damn good quality control and the entire range sounds pretty good overall.

You might also want to look at Squier as well, especially used. The CV/VM series' get very high marks around here.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
chatterbox272

If you've got some money to burn then obviously the Warwick is the better bass there. Otherwise the Peavey has a pretty good rep. Other good ones to look out for are Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe basses, Yamaha RBXs, and Ibanez SRs. For amps I'm not sure what's available to you where you are but with cheaper amps you're probably looking for Acoustic, Ashdown, and maybe Laney. Look at the stickied thread of cheapish gigging rigs for some ideas there.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Zaqq

Quote:
Rockbass (by Warwick) Streamer Standard 5-String ~$699 iirc
http://www.warwick.de/modules/produ...kID=47578&cl=EN

Very strange price: it's $500 on Musician's friend, but in my country (where everything is more expensive than in US or UK) it's only about 350 bucks. I played the 4 string model and didn't like it very much - for me the sound was too soft and not hard enough (even though the strings were pretty new).
Zaqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
AWACS
I want all of the things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqq
Very strange price: it's $500 on Musician's friend, but in my country (where everything is more expensive than in US or UK) it's only about 350 bucks. I played the 4 string model and didn't like it very much - for me the sound was too soft and not hard enough (even though the strings were pretty new).

I believe Warwick are German made, that could be why.

I think I'm just going to grab the Peavey. I'll have to actually plug them in first, but I'm leaning towards that one. I could always upgrade the hardware if need be, but (for now) it's just going to be my secondary instrument, after guitar.

Another question: What effect does using guitar effect pedals through a bass and bass amp have on your sound?

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 AM   #6
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACS
Another question: What effect does using guitar effect pedals through a bass and bass amp have on your sound?

Depending on the effect you may lose a little low end, but otherwise go for it. You can't damage anything doing it, so give it a shot and see if you like it.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
.30over

Remind everybody that a band without bass is nothing more than a stage full of showboats with no foundation. (tried to death and failed every time)Then kick the weakest link out of the band and hire a bass player who actually appreciates music. Save your money and use it to buy better guitar stuff.

If you must persist in playing something you dont want to..purchase a bass that doesnt look ******ed, an amp that has enough power to be heard and buy a Tech21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI ....that will get you through

Did you say "Band that plays damn near everything but doesn't want to include bass" no offense but that is a problem you should not be shouldering on yourself as an aid to the band....if the other guys want to stepchild an instrument in genres specifically calling for that instrument ...good luck

Last edited by .30over : 01-16-2013 at 10:21 PM.
.30over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
bassplayer41

Agreed, bass is the mortar in the bricks.....anything else is tinny and uninteresting! Ibanez usually has a decent low end product...

Last edited by bassplayer41 : 01-19-2013 at 09:45 PM.
bassplayer41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #9
CJ Noble
WAHAHA~!

The warwick would last you a lot longer, it's a good bass even for a professional. I'm wary of anything peavey has made outside of the USA.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

I have an Asian made Peavey and I love it. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
GAPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
christianonbass

If you decided that you really need a drummer will one of you guitarists look at picking them up as well? Sorry folks, I guess I offend easily:-p
christianonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #12
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

How about one of the Diamond Series Schecter basses? I have this bass and its a very decent bass:

499$
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass...ing-bass-guitar

Has a rather heavy tone to it, Pickups have alot of punch so much I have to roll off the Treble and Bass knobs off to half sometimes for something more gentle.

B String is definately not Flabby so even though originally I didnt like 5 strings I end up using the 5th string alot.

Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf : 02-07-2013 at 07:11 PM.
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
RedMist

I say save your money and get a bass player.
RedMist is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: