Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #601
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

So, there's this album. It is a pretty sweet melodic black metal album. It is not, however, what I would call a well-produced album. The mix is effed, the keyboards are shallow (Finland hadn't invented stereo depth yet), and each track is faded in and out for some reason. The band that made it apparently wasn't too happy with the production either, but it was 1998, they were on an indie label, and you took what you could get. That didn't stop them from re-recording two of the tracks from that album last year, though (and they sound hella better).
There's no way I'd ever actually get to do this (and my screaming sucks), but I've been thinking about redoing more of the album myself. Because like I said, it's a pretty sweet album.
Anyway, I did an instrumental mix of the third track earlier today. The guitar tone is harsher and gainier than the usual modern metal tone on purpose, to get that gr1mkvltfr0stb1ttz sound, but I tried to work it into the mix.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8hjppbui...%20Descends.mp3
The original (NSFW for boobs)

Last edited by Cavalcade : 02-08-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #602
Odirunn
Hi, I'm Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
So, there's this album. It is a pretty sweet melodic black metal album. It is not, however, what I would call a well-produced album. The mix is effed, the keyboards are shallow (Finland hadn't invented stereo depth yet), and each track is faded in and out for some reason. The band that made it apparently wasn't too happy with the production either, but it was 1998, they were on an indie label, and you took what you could get. That didn't stop them from re-recording two of the tracks from that album last year, though (and they sound hella better).
There's no way I'd ever actually get to do this (and my screaming sucks), but I've been thinking about redoing more of the album myself. Because like I said, it's a pretty sweet album.
Anyway, I did an instrumental mix of the third track earlier today. The guitar tone is harsher and gainier than the usual modern metal tone on purpose, to get that gr1mkvltfr0stb1ttz sound, but I tried to work it into the mix.

DKFH sounds way weak for this and the overheads are super washy and harsh, especially that left crash. Guitars sounds cool tho.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #603
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

That is not something I would have noticed. Still, I think part of the reason the DFH sounds weaker is I'm using a ringier snare sound than usual.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #604
Wraithbound

Hey everyone, just dropping by to post up my first mix and hopefully get a crit from you lovely people. The guitars and bass were all recorded DI and the drums were just MIDI drums from the Xpand plugin in Pro Tools. The soundscape/talking was done with a single Sennheiser Evolution 600/800. The song was inspired by 1984 by George Orwell.

EDIT: I forgot to leave the link...

Wraithbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #605
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade

I don't honestly mind the production... bad production makes black metal sound better imo.

Also dat album cover... SO CHEESY.

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #606
grottberg

http://soundcloud.com/zaatos/death-bite-the-pain

Programmed drums, Ezdrummer DFH, the guitar I used is an ESP Horizon going through a Tubescreamer into an ENGL Fireball. The amp goes to a 2x12 cab loaded with V30's which were miced up with an SM57. The bass was recorded via DI.
grottberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #607
Gynce

My friend says that there is something too much in it. I think it's fine. What do you think? Do you like? Comments?

https://soundcloud.com/gintarasmazeika/tune
Gynce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #608
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Also dat album cover... SO CHEESY.

I know, right? I think they spent most their production budget getting the background covered in wolves. But they learned their lesson, and so from then on, they established a limit of three wolves per album cover.
Not that there's anything wrong with any of that. Because, ya know, black metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grottberg
http://soundcloud.com/zaatos/death-bite-the-pain

Programmed drums, Ezdrummer DFH, the guitar I used is an ESP Horizon going through a Tubescreamer into an ENGL Fireball. The amp goes to a 2x12 cab loaded with V30's which were miced up with an SM57. The bass was recorded via DI.

Ironically, the guitars and bass sound great, but the drums need work. Getting the DFH overheads to work is something I still have trouble with (see above), but mostly it just needs to be louder. And the default kick is pretty weak for metal; try putting some comp on it to give it more punch (ie, raise the attack to about 20 ms).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gynce
My friend says that there is something too much in it. I think it's fine. What do you think? Do you like? Comments?

https://soundcloud.com/gintarasmazeika/tune

Just guitar? There's not enough drive (150-200Hz), some frequencies desperately need to be drilled out in the EQ (2.2k is usually a good place to start), and why can I hear you striking the strings? Is the mic right next to the bridge or something?

Last edited by Cavalcade : 02-11-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #609
chaseNbadguys

I'm trying to get back into recording a low level. Please listen to my intro to seek and destroy and give me some insight on what I should be doing with my mix. https://soundcloud.com/mclonghorn/s...d-destroy-cover
chaseNbadguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #610
chaseNbadguys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithbound
Hey everyone, just dropping by to post up my first mix and hopefully get a crit from you lovely people. The guitars and bass were all recorded DI and the drums were just MIDI drums from the Xpand plugin in Pro Tools. The soundscape/talking was done with a single Sennheiser Evolution 600/800. The song was inspired by 1984 by George Orwell.

This is very powerful. I dont think you are getting the proper vanity of this recording.
chaseNbadguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #611
tottsk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseNbadguys
I'm trying to get back into recording a low level. Please listen to my intro to seek and destroy and give me some insight on what I should be doing with my mix. https://soundcloud.com/mclonghorn/s...d-destroy-cover

The guitar tone is pretty good, a lot of gain but it kind of sounds like the original song. The drums needs a lot of work, the kick needs more punch and the snare should be louder. Also the bass and drums seems to be a bit off with the guitar i think.

Any1 mind critting this metalcore 101 mix?
https://soundcloud.com/gujukal/metalcore-mix-2012-02-13

Last edited by tottsk1 : 02-13-2013 at 05:44 PM.
tottsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #612
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithbound

As great as the visuals are, you do realize that Youtube colors any audio because it compresses things? You'd be better off, in terms of having us crit things, posting a soundcloud or dropbox link.

Edit:
Even so, that was a very good introspective piece. I particularly enjoyed the distorted part. Well done.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 02-14-2013 at 01:26 AM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #613
anthsband

My band has been recording our CD at a studio and I would like people's opinion on the mix. We are a rock trio so there is only drums, bass, guitar and vocals. At first the studio went with the classic rock trio sound of bass left and guitar right. It just didn't give the "full sound" of today's mixes and makes the average person think its thin sounding so we told him to put bass center and one guitar mic left/right. I think it sounds pretty good now.

A few things though:

1. Our drummer's ride cymbal is annoying as hell. In this song specifically, either the cymbals need turned down or the room mic up a little bit to drown that out.
2. With the room mic up more than usual in our songs (to give that classic sound) we were thinking of telling him to turn up the kick drum track to make it more punchy
3. My brother is the bassist and he said he still doesn't like the sound of his bass. He said it sounds muddy. It was recording just bass DI and the studio is using an amp simulator. I have been listening to our mixes and comparing them to professional mixes and to my ears it sounds fine?

What are your opinions?

http://www.4shared.com/music/FrQFXPdQ/Breakout.html

Check out my rock trio band!
JWP
anthsband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #614
Highelf04
UG's ONLY Batgirl

(Disclaimer)This has all been some home studio stuff that I'm doing
And this is actually the first time I've ever tried mixing....like ever...

Anyway
I will C4C, and we'll see how that turns out xD

Essentially, right now I'm recording a cover of underoath's Reinventing your exit
Cause I'm emo like that

I initially programed the drums in Logic and ran it using the "Studio Tight Kit"
However, when I had the option to, I 'upgraded' it to run through EzDrummer
This is the outcome I had

https://soundcloud.com/nickslash_gr...-your-exit-midi

Granted it does sound rather robotic
But, I'm not fussed about that
This is what I mixed, and what I came out with
At present, I have yet to get guitars properly done (for some reason I managed to do bass really easily xD)

in the balls

LEICESTER CITY

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClockHouseBand

Clockhouse is a thing
Find us
Listen to us
Love us
Highelf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #615
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

One of the things I'm finding out is that guitar is always going to be your biggest pain in the ass. I would recommend looking up some record revolution youtube vidoes on guitar, Highelf.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #616
RaiZu

Hey guys. I'd like some critique on my mix here

https://soundcloud.com/raizu-1/fall...n-shatter-the-1

I know the lead parts aren't great or a bit low volume but I want you opinion on drums/bass/guitar.

I'm a beginner and pretty much self taugh so don't use techy language

Last edited by RaiZu : 02-21-2013 at 12:02 PM.
RaiZu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #617
Martinman300

Hi Guys, my new band Burn Marilyn just launched on Facebook and Soundcloud, I thought you'd be interested to hear that all the guitars on the upcoming EP are done with the Axe FX2. We've got two songs up at the moment, and it would be great to hear your opinions on the songs and tones! The drums are NI studio drummer.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/burn-marilyn/misled
https://soundcloud.com/burn-marilyn/bleeding-out
Martinman300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #618
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiZu
Hey guys. I'd like some critique on my mix here

https://soundcloud.com/raizu-1/fall...n-shatter-the-1

I know the lead parts aren't great or a bit low volume but I want you opinion on drums/bass/guitar.

I'm a beginner and pretty much self taugh so don't use techy language

*waves* Hello, fellow beginner!

I would say that the clean guitars are good. The distorted guitars have a good, thick tone...definitely recalls a "Djent" tone. (Not sure if that's what you were going for or not. ) The bass seems very strong and driving. The drums are fairly tight, and I don't hear any out-of-place hi-hats or cymbals. (I personally hate hearing the hi-hats or cymbals over everything else in the drums; in fact, I've decided to just not mix my drum VSTs with cymbals or hi-hats.) So, as far as the drums/bass/rhythm guitar, I'd say it's good.

And, as for the lead parts, I actually think they're decent, but turn down the other instruments just a bit during the guitar solos. Honestly, this is the kind of track I wouldn't mind purchasing for $1 or so on bandcamp once you have it finished; it reminds me of bands like Animals As Leaders, in terms of style at least. (I'm not comparing your compositional skills to AAL, but it is a good song.) So, let me know if you make the finished product available for download.

Bandcamp

Old 02-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #619
RaiZu

Give me a follow on soundcloud and as soon as it's available you can download it for free .

And I didn't really go for something djenty. It was drop g# tuning, I have a 7 string with an emg 707x so I guess it just came out like that. For me djent is more in the riff composition rather than tone

That song is part of a new collab project I have with another guitarist and I would liek to see a full band. I could probably handle the bass but a real drummer might see the track better and a vocal would be nice
RaiZu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #620
robschmit

Disregard the solos, the second part in particular, they are just scratch tracks until next session but everything else is almost complete. let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/robschmit/metal

Last edited by robschmit : 02-24-2013 at 04:32 PM.
robschmit is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: