Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 AM   #21
triface
Drenched in Syrup

Sorry for the bump, but I was wondering if I could obtain input for this as well, since I'm making the same decision at the moment and since there's already a thread for this.

Does the extra width of the neck on an 8 make the transition from a 6 to an 8 that much harder? Does over-the-neck vibrato become impossible with an 8, or hell, a 7? Or does it all depend on whose guitars we are talking about? I've read things about Schecter having thick necks with a somewhat sticky finish.

Are there any brands that are decent for an entry-mid level 7 or 8? There are a bunch of shops at my place that stock Ibanez, Schecter and LTD (ESP, apparently) guitars.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion

Last edited by triface : 02-23-2013 at 01:59 AM.
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:06 AM   #22
Dayn

Quote:
Originally Posted by triface
Does the extra width of the neck on an 8 make the transition from a 6 to an 8 that much harder? Does over-the-neck vibrato become impossible with an 8, or hell, a 7? Or does it all depend on whose guitars we are talking about? I've read things about Schecter having thick necks with a somewhat sticky finish.

Are there any brands that are decent for an entry-mid level 7 or 8? There are a bunch of shops at my place that stock Ibanez, Schecter and LTD (ESP, apparently) guitars.
First thing's first, I would probably suggest Ibanez. They introduced the first production 8-string, then in NAMM 2013 thought "What's this bullshit from everyone else?" and they dropped the bomb and released a hell of a lot of new extended-range instruments, including a lot of eights. I can only vouch for the RG2228, however.

There's... well, there's no transition, I found. The only thing was having my picking hand remember there's two extra strings. But I got used to it after a week. The width means nothing; depends on the guitar of course, but string spacing is fine. There's... just... two extra strings. That's all there is to it.

But I suppose it depends on your technique and whatever you find comfortable. I keep my thumb either placed lightly on the back of the neck, or just hovering. Now and again when I'm lazy my thumb creeps over, so I suppose that depends on your technique and how big your hands are, honestly. But personally, I think there's something wrong if you have to choke the neck.

The RG2228's neck is very thin, has little shoulders, and the string spacing is just like any six-string Ibanez. Unless you like thick necks, it's really one of the most comfortable necks on a production 8-string ever.

That's about all I can offer in that regard. I went from six to eight very easily on my RG2228. I chose it because some of the music I wanted to play was on an eight-string. Then I started unlocking what it could do. I can't play six-strings anymore... I keep reaching for non-existent strings and notes.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #23
triface
Drenched in Syrup

Hey. Thanks for the advice man! I usually keep my thumb at the back of the neck, except for when I need to do a vibrato, especially vibratos at the end of bends. Feels like I have a lot more control over what semitone I'm hitting.

I've just checked out the R2228 and it seems to be very out of my budget.

Last edited by triface : 02-23-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #24
Grunt344

Get the eight string. What ever you can play on a 6 or a 7 you can play with an eight. I've played both. The eight just has that, feel to it. It just feels awesome. Granted my hands are huge, but never the less eight strings are amazing.
Grunt344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:05 AM   #25
Battery Chicken
Viva la Revolucion!

I'm really glad I don't play much metal anymore. I have normal size palms but really stumpy fingers, I manage to work around physical limitations on a 6, but an 8 would be near impossible for me.
Battery Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #26
triface
Drenched in Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery Chicken
I'm really glad I don't play much metal anymore. I have normal size palms but really stumpy fingers, I manage to work around physical limitations on a 6, but an 8 would be near impossible for me.

Well, it's just those few sub-genres of metal that use 8-strings.

Rate This Thread: