Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

Dual Output Strat (warning: bassist offending content)

While I was banned for pit nonsense :P I (with quite a bit of help from my good buddy Punkacc9 from Short Scale) did some serious modding to my red strat. My band has had problems finding a bassist because every good one in our area is currently taken, so we went about turning my strat into a guitar/bass hybrid. It's essentially a cleaner version of Scott Lucas's (Local H) setup.

Now bassists, right about now I'm going to ask you calm your tits, I am fully aware that this is not the same as having a real bass player and having been the bassist in a band before, I know how much well written bass lines mean to a band's sound. But my goal is not to completely replace bass guitar (well kind of) but to provide a low end that my band's live sound is missing. Now that that's out there, on to the specs and pics.

So the general Idea here is:

Guitar pickups>knob 1 vol/knob 2 tone>guitar out>custom killswitcher>pedals>amp

P-bass pickup on E+A>knob 3 volume>bass out>custom killswitcher>octave multiplexor>bass amp

We built a "stereo" input/output killswitch pedal so I can turn off and on either signal with footswitches.

The guitar pups are a texas special and SD P-rail, 5-way switch, the p90 part is wired in the bridge pickup and the rail is wired as the middle, switching is pretty much self explanatory (but if anyone wants more info just say so)

The second jack is on the bottom edge by the original jack.

And the pics (Punkacc9 did the woodwork, I did all the electronics):

The pickguard (w/b/mint) on right. Made by Cooterfinger from Short Scale

Bass pickup route

Route Closeup

Bass Jack route

Parts installed and wired

Strung Up

At last week's Band Practice (it now has comp stripe decals)

Not my foot or marshall

Not my feet, amp or pedals, these two were taken when our other guitar player was trying it out

New song demo from that practice with our new singer. There are two guitars, mine is the phasery one throughout the song, any bass you hear is the bass pickup through the octave multiplexor into an fender SS twin (So the bass is a bit woofy, I'm going to get a bass amp when I haz the cash). My guitar sound is the phaser on a zoom G3 into a cyber twin SE, clean is a modded twin reverb model on the cyber twin and the dirty is the '58 deluxe model (I am a Neil Young fan, afterall) Other guitarist is using an ibanez single-cut with EMG-HZs into a marshall something or other combo, I don't remember, clean is the amp, dirty is a vox satchurator.

Recorded on the drummer's iCraphone 5

Soundcloud

Last edited by tukk04 : 02-27-2013 at 01:11 PM.
tukk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
BledGhostWhite
Stop being a centipede

This is ****ing cool as tits man. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
BledGhostWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Vabolo
Wishes he had twenty arms

As a part-time bass player, let me say that that is pretty damn cool.
But I'll just break into verse!
Vabolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

Well that's unexpected, Punkacc took a lot of flak about it on short scale, and they claim to love shoegaze and alt stuff but this was too far out apparently .

Soundcloud
Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
jetwash69

Nicely done.

Is the octave multiplexor you used polyphonic? Most aren't and result in artifacts that Scott Lucas would describe by saying it doesn't track well for chords.

I tried the new polyphonic Digitech Whammy at GC a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with it's performance with chords.

Also, until you get that bass amp, have you considered running your bass pup signal chain into a DI Box, and then into the PA? If you want some grit to it, you might be able to get that with a distortion or O/D pedal, or you could get one of those inexpensive starved plate tube pre-amps. If you did that, it could pull double duty as your DI Box, too.

Can't tell for sure in these pics, but given the resolution, it looks like an outstanding job routing out the pup hole in the pick guard. How did y'all get such great results?
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

@jetwash69: Punkacc's friend on Short Scale Cooterfinger does some amazing pickguard and woodworking in his home shop, he's done 4 or 5 bodies for Punk and they've been amazing quality.

The multiplexor tracks surprisingly well, especially on the a string chords. Even when it glitches the low end stays filled. I've found it's about 80% using the right technique and 20% having the band to cover the one or two glitches :p

I specifically like the multiplexor because it has high and low filters that help keep the high overtones tame for better tracking.

Our band PA has DI capabilities, but I forgot to try it at practice so I'll probably do that at the next one.

I looked into poly ones when I got the multiplexor 2 years ago, and they were great fun for more crazy stuff, but considering the more vintage tone and that it only picks up a single note at a time mono worksetter for this application than poly. It's also more convincing because how often does a real bass player use chords off the E. The poly picked up the chords perfectly, which is bad in this case.

Soundcloud

Last edited by tukk04 : 02-27-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukk04
@jetwash69: ...I looked into poly ones when I got the multiplexor 2 years ago, and they were great fun for more crazy stuff, but considering the more vintage tone and that it only picks up a single note at a time mono worksetter for this application than poly. It's also more convincing because how often does a real bass player use chords off the E. The poly picked up the chords perfectly, which is bad in this case.

Good to know. Maybe someday I'll give it a shot, too.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
Don't Panic Ok?
Clive Dunn

Nice! I did something similar with my Agile Pendulum to imitate Charlie Hunter's Novax before I got mine. Here's the thread I did if you're interested in checking it out.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Don't Panic Ok? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Battery Chicken
Viva la Revolucion!

This is ****ing hilarious and incredibly cool all at the same time.
Battery Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer

Badassary alert: this is awesome.
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Maineguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #11
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Panic Ok?
Nice! I did something similar with my Agile Pendulum to imitate Charlie Hunter's Novax before I got mine. Here's the thread I did if you're interested in checking it out.

Dude that thing's rad! Not a fan of the paint job (probably has personal significance to you though) but as you can tell I'm all for insane but functional guitar modding.

Soundcloud
Old 03-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #12
RebuildIt

Wild. I like it.
RebuildIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

This actually sounds a lot better than I expected. Cool stuff man!

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
OfCourseNot
There's your answer

For a demo recorded with an iPhone, that actually sounds pretty awesome! I'd love to hear an album version, keep us up to date!
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
OfCourseNot is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: