Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > Archives Of The Best Threads > Technique Archives
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-28-2002, 07:57 PM   #1
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again

a guide to tuning

ok im bored and so i decided to write out a miniture guide to answer the most common tuning questions. this is for all you ppl who dont own a chromatic tuner.

firstly before we start, ive attached a file that will tune your guitar into normal tuning. this will be in the post below

drop d only, the one string (d a d g b e)

play e on the 7th fret, the play open A, then detune the e till it sounds like the A. alternatively, you can play open e and open d and then detune the e till it has the same pitch as the d.

drop c only, the one string (c a d g b e)

play e on the 9th fret, the play open A, then detune the e till it sounds like the A.

tuning down half a step (d# g# c# f# a# d#)

from normal tuning, play the forth fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then play the bottom e and the top e, and detune the top till it sounds the same as the bottom

tuning down a step (d g c f a d)

from normal tuning, play the third fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the third fret of e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then play the bottom e and the top e, and detune the top till it sounds the same as the bottom.

basically for the tunings down half a step and one step, you change the step of the first tuning and this then affects everything so tuning the normal way tunes everything half a step or a whole step down.

drop c (c g c f a d)

tune everything down a whole step (see above) and then play the seventh fret on your low e string (which now should be d) and open a (which now should be g). detune the e till it sounds the same as the a string. the tuning should now be C G C F A D. this is static-x's favourite tuning

drop B (b f# b e g# c#)

okay this is a long one, and the tuning is B F# B E G# C#. ok. from normal tuning, play the second fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the a string till it sounds the same as the open d. then do the fifth on the d with open g, then the FORTH with g and open b, then the Fifth with b and open top e. then, to do the bottom e string, you can either play this on the seventh fret, and open a (which is now f#) and tune the e string till it sounds the same, or play open e and the open d string (which now should be b) detune the e string accordingly till it sounds the same. this tuuning is popular with slipknot

ill add more later. maybe this will be a sticky. if i have somthing wrong, or should add something, pm me or write in this post

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....
41. Been called a *****?yes, they rate me 5 stars...
46. Kissed someone in a moving vehicle?no, i dont have insurance

Last edited by thebassmaster : 07-20-2003 at 04:52 AM.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:45 PM   #2
metallica_12398
Hardcore Bassist

Thanks

That's really helpfull for my accoustic of course, but can you do the same for my bass (tunning guide) thanks

Bassman Matt

Metallica
Old 10-04-2002, 07:03 PM   #3
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again

to do the bass, just do the same but miss out the last two strings. drop d and drop c are exactly the same, but tuning all strings down is slightly different

tuning down half a step (d# g# c# f#)

from normal tuning, play the forth fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the d string till it sounds the same as the a (5th fret). then do the fifth on the d with open g. then to do the bottom string, play the 5th fret on e and the open a string (which now should be g#) and tune the e in accordingly

tuning down a step (d g c f)

from normal tuning, play the third fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the third fret of e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the d string till it sounds the same as the a (5th fret). then do the fifth on the d with open g. then to do the bottom string, play the 5th fret on e and the open a string ( which should be g) hen tune in the e accordingly

drop c (c g c f)

tune everything down a whole step up to the g string, then press the seventh fret on your low e string and open a. detune the e till it sounds the same as the a string. the tuning should now be C G C.

drop b (b f# b e)

play the second fret on bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the d string till it sounds the same as the a (5th fret). then do the fifth on the d with open g, then play the 10th fret on e and open a (now f#) then detune the e string

Double checked, edited and approved by Beat, go wild guys! Good job Matt

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
17. Cheated on someone? it was an accident, i didnt remember i had the gameshark on.....

Last edited by beatallica_fan : 10-05-2002 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:19 PM   #4
IM_ELVIS_ON_LSD
BOOBIES!

And whats drop A?
Old 10-10-2002, 07:16 AM   #5
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again

drop a (a e a d)

play open bottom e, then open a, detune the a till it sounds the same as the e. Then, on the a string, play the fifth fret, then open d, and then detune the d string till it sounds the same as the a (5th fret). then do the fifth on the d with open g, then play the open bottom e and the open bottom d (now a), detune the bottom string till its an octave of the open d string.

I think its ok, as long as you can maintain string tension at such low tunings, but matts theory is fine. beat!

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?

Last edited by beatallica_fan : 10-10-2002 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:08 PM   #6
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again

Quote:
Originally posted by IM_ELVIS_ON_LSD
And whats drop A?

oh did u mean for guitar? ill do that tonight

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
Old 10-10-2002, 04:32 PM   #7
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again

drop a (a e a d f# b)

ok, play bottom e on the 12th fret and open a, then detune the e string till it sounds the same as the a. then play the seventh fret on the newly tuned e string and open a, then detune the a string. then play the fifth fret on the a string, ,then open d, then detune the d string, then play the fifth fret on the d string, then open g and detune the g. now, play the FORTH on the g string (should now be tuned into a d) and open b, then detune the b, then play the fifth on the b string, and the high e, then detune the high e.

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?

Last edited by thebassmaster : 10-10-2002 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:39 PM   #8
beatallica_fan
UG fluffly club member #5

Again seems fine to me, i think the best thing to do is for you guys to try these tuning guides out, if you come across any problems with any of them pm me or thebassmaster and we'll see what we can do. Beat!
Member #5 of UGs fluffly club, and proud of it

Our mission - to be warmer and fuzzier than any other club

http://beatallica.dmusic.com/
Old 10-11-2002, 02:56 AM   #9
guitartabbooksw
UG Newbie

Thumbs up Free Tuner Download

I dont know if anyone here is aware of it, but the most awesome tuner I have ever used was a free download called the AP Guitar Tuner, and you can get it here.
http://www.sharewaremusicmachine.co...P_Guitar_Tuner/

It will tune to Drop D, Drop C, Powerchords, standard tuning, tuning flat, ect....
Old 10-11-2002, 09:35 AM   #10
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again

SOON TO COME

ive got an mp3 which has the standard tuning notes. (e a d g b e) im gonna find a place to upload it on too, then link it here so you can tune ur guitar back

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
Old 10-11-2002, 04:31 PM   #11
metallica_12398
Hardcore Bassist

awsome sounds great! for bass too?
Old 10-11-2002, 05:29 PM   #12
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again

Quote:
Originally posted by metallica_12398
awsome sounds great! for bass too?

ill find one, or u could use the bottom 4 and try and tune using the octaves

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
Old 10-12-2002, 03:45 PM   #13
Blazer
UG Newbie

I found a great tuner at this site!! musiceffect.com hope you find it usefull!! Joe
Old 10-15-2002, 01:39 PM   #14
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again

ladies and gentlemen

HERE IS THE TUNER

its a bit cheesy but it does the job

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
Old 11-01-2002, 12:38 PM   #15
turinbrakes
teehee

Perfect standard tuning files :)

I uploaded some midi files to my webspace.

Be sure you Right click on the link, and then choose Save as..

E
A
D
G
B
e

It always worked for me when i didn't have a tuner yet

Last edited by turinbrakes : 11-01-2002 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:10 PM   #16
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again

thanks turin

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?
Old 11-13-2002, 08:25 AM   #17
miele
Lowlife

Pot

There is a tuner on my "site" too.
www.guitarfiles.tk
Old 11-14-2002, 09:08 PM   #18
NoHero
UG Monkey

Okay i doubt any off you can help me with this so i will ask anyway, how do you tune a guitar to open FSharp Minor, this tuning is used in a Days of the New song and its pissing me off that i cant play it.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:20 PM   #19
NoHero
UG Monkey

Okay since on one is helping in my time alone i figured it out so dont worry about it.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:25 PM   #20
thebassmaster
Becoming Addicted Again

Staind's is Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Cb-Eb and Creed's is D-A-D-G-A-D. Can you help me?

this is for my new n00b friend

staind

play the 4th fret on low e and open a, then tune the open a to the forth fret on e. then take the 5th fret on the newly strung a string and open d and retune the d, then the 5th fret on d and open g. then retune g. then the forth freth on g and open b, and retune the b string. then take the fifth fret on the b string and the high open e and retune the e string. now play the lower e and the higher e together. retunr the lower e so the two e's are an octave apart.

creed:

right then play the 7th fret on low e and open a, the retune the e string. then play your 2nd fret on g and open b then retune the b string. then play the fifth fret on ur newly tuned b string and ur open high e, then retune

i suggest you wait till beat checks it but i think that how its done

EDIT-I checked the creed tuning and made a slight amendment, but i think its ok now. The Cb note your trying to tune to on the staind tuning has me confused. Theres no actual Cb, half a step below C is B, if thats what you wanted then theres no need to retune, if you meant Bb then the tuning just seems to be half a step down. I dont play or even own music by these bands so people try these tuning out and come back to us if you have trouble. Beat!

6. Lied? Would I?
10. Done LSD? who's she?

Last edited by beatallica_fan : 12-02-2002 at 03:44 AM.

Rate This Thread: