Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

Double Neck project

EDIT: PICTURES ON PAGE 19
EDIT2: The design has changed a lot BTW, so either read the thread if you want to see ALL the changes, or be surprised and look at the pictures.

hey all. a lot of you know ill probably be doing a strat project, but i was debating with myself for a while whether to do a double neck. and im now sure that im going to make a double neck Strat. im gonna incorporate the normal strat i had in my head, and add a EDS-1275 style 12 stringer on the top (ie 2 PAFs and hardtail bridge) but with a Fender 12 string neck (if i can find one; the Hockey Style one). theyll both have maple fender necks if i can get hold of the 12 string one, and ill ahve to make the body myself. the 6 string will have Lace Sensors in it, with a Red/Blue Dually in the bridge, Silver Lace in the middle and a Blue Lace in the neck. itll also have a Floyd Rose.. ill be getting a pretty good job in around september, so thatll fund it really as well as birthday money and pocket money. were also going through our house and selling lots of stuff, and me and my sister get to share the money. so ill hopefully have a lot of money to play with. hey enough talkin from me, and what do you guys think of it? ill be doing a drawing tomorrow probably, but im going away on mon for a few days, so ill get a good amount of drawing done then.

Calum

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.

Last edited by Calum_Barrow : 03-26-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Calum_Barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:46 PM   #2
d_music_man
RIP JP 2

sweet deal gotta post pics of it when you are in progress
Good luck

Quote:
Originally posted by DynoMite
If your gonna be my leader you better smite people, i am only a minion to a being that does lots of smiting

d_music_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:49 PM   #3
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

^ i will dont you worry. this thread will die for a little, until i get the money and parts, then ill be posting pics more or less everyday. so dont close/delete it please Cmogi. im sure you wont, but just to make sure

Old 03-26-2005, 07:10 AM   #4
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

oh. i didnt include what things ill be using on the pickguards and such. well, when i designed it as a normal strat, it was going to have a 3-ply tortoiseshell pickguard and backplate, but now i have to mak my own, and i dont know anywhere to buy big sheets of tortioseshell textured plastic from, so i think its going to be black now. the hardware will all be chrome, and the finish will be natural or psychadelic patterns that ill paint on. i want natural, but if i cant find any nice wood, ill paint it in a similar fashion to that of Clapton's SG (but not with the weird cherub things)

the finish on it will be satin as i prefer satin finishes.the necks will probably be slightly closer together than those of an EDS-1275

each neck will have an individual tone control and there will be a master volume. a 3 way toggle will select which neck i use (and both selection) so i can have drone sounds and turn one neck off. the 12 String will have Gibson Burstbuckers on; not sure of the models yet, and the 6 string will have the ones i described on (Lace Sensors). the 6 string will also have my custom switching that ive drawn up. in total there will be 6 switches i think, and i can add more if i want to. for those 6 switches, there are WELL over 50 or 60 combinations.
i cant think of anything else ive missed, anyway: any questions and il be happy to answer them.

Last edited by Calum_Barrow : 03-26-2005 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:44 AM   #5
Logz
UGs UGing UGer

^^ Cool, cant wait to see it in progress calum!
Old 03-26-2005, 12:59 PM   #6
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

^ me neither, i wanna start now!

anyway, does anyone know if they still do those Squier Venus 12 strings? i saw one in a shop last year in the lake district. i havent seen them since, cause you see i want to rip the neck and bridge off one of those and put them on it. thats if i cant get hold of one of those Fender XII that are out at the moment. (theyre limited edition so they might be expensive and hard to come by).

Old 03-26-2005, 01:30 PM   #7
godofshred
petrucci's homeboy

arggggg....ye no mention mine ye git! copying fool! lol!! great ideas calum..any help needed and you know where to find me mate may i please take time to also draw attention to my location also...it IS thread related!
<-----------------
godofshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:33 PM   #8
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

^ lol. i dont need any help, after all you did post this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...328#post2310328

if i do need to know something, itll be in my Bible! which is a massive book about 1-2" thick. its got loads of stuff in it.

Last edited by Calum_Barrow : 04-23-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:56 PM   #9
joyful womble
UG Catcher In The Rye

good luck! what are you going to make the body out of?
I've got to think about my own life
The world is not our facility
We have a responsibility
To use our abilities to keep this place alive," said ian mackaye
joyful womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:06 PM   #10
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

^ i dont know yet. theres a woodyard less than a mile from my house, so ill have a look there. but also, there are plenty of other sources of wood round my house, like some thick doors and tables my school is getting rid of that are oak i think. very heavy, ill see if i can have some. but thats just one of my many sources i can get it from. i really want a nice grain, and preferabley a lighter wood. if its something like oak, ill be making the profile slimmer like that of my Squier to cut down on the weight. its basically any wood i can get hold of.

Old 03-26-2005, 02:25 PM   #11
godofshred
petrucci's homeboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Calum_Barrow
^ lol. i dont need any help, after all you did post this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...328#post2310328

if i do need to know something, itll be in my Bible! which is a massive book about 1-2" thick. its got loads of stuff in it.

look at the date on that thing!! lol..oh wel.............my dads a woodwork head at a school and helps build guitars for projects all the time osi thought that he may maybe able to help if you needed...ur such an ass these days calum,gawd!
Old 03-26-2005, 02:25 PM   #12
Henlo
What's a UG?

That SG looks strangely like that Fleetwood Mac album cover. Can't remember what it's called, it had "Going my way" on it, and was when Peter Green was still with them (when they were good).
Interesting project Calum, I seem to remember a double-neck Strat on projectguitar a while back, it was really nice!

Listening to you, I get the music; gazing at you, I get the heat; following you, I climbed the mountain; I get excitement at your feet.
Henlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 02:42 PM   #13
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

^ yeah ive been looking for one, and i couldnt find one so i thought, great, itll be individual, but then i found this:
http://yngwie.org/gallery/images/twoneck.jpg
its s guitar Yngwie Malmsteen had made for him. dammit!! anyway, im still gonna make one, and it wont look like that anyway, so it will be different (even though the body shape is JUST how i imagined it). plus hardly anyone has those, as they were never sold to the public.

oh and Nick, stop gettin mad cause i didnt want any help . i know enough stuff myself to get the project going, but thanks for the offer anyway. i may well need help, but im not sure as of now.

Old 03-26-2005, 02:50 PM   #14
godofshred
petrucci's homeboy

ti's ok..i wasnt mad! lol! and for the 12 string neck calum..you still havin trouble finding one??
Old 03-26-2005, 02:52 PM   #15
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

^ yeah, but i think im just gonna buy a 12 string electric off eBay and take the neck and bridge off it, then sell the body and electronics (and any parts i cant use). im gonna be spending my money on the bits that really matter, like the necks, pickups, knobs/switches etc. NOT on things like a neckplate or an output socket holder thingy. i mean whats the point? its jsut a piece of metal. im not gonna pay like 17 for a fender neckplate. lol

Old 03-26-2005, 02:56 PM   #16
godofshred
petrucci's homeboy

^ lol good point!! if your stuc for the neck...i think fender do make em on request..its expensive...but you know itt'l be quality!
Old 03-26-2005, 02:58 PM   #17
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

yeah itll be good sure, but i dont know how much itll cost. it better not cost more than 200 cause theres no way ill be going over that, cause i can just get one of those Fender XII strats and nick the bridge and neck.

Old 03-26-2005, 02:59 PM   #18
acdc101
pft

^x2 Calum, I saw one of those on ebay. One of 3 made for Yngwie. But they were selling it for some insane price.
Other than that, I haven't seen a double neck strat, do they sell those kinds of bodies at warmoth?
Originally Posted by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.
acdc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:00 PM   #19
godofshred
petrucci's homeboy

^(to calum) then sell the rest? good idea! im sure teyll make a neck for you for under 200....just ask for a replacemnt XII strat neck..i have an email which leads direct to someone there...hes very helpfull and will probably fix you up with a neck? want it?
Old 03-26-2005, 03:04 PM   #20
Calum_Barrow
(the return)

^ yeah please. i dont have the money yet as im still in the designing stage (and adding up the costs!), but i will keep it safe and ill ask for a quote or whatever. thanks Nick!

oh and AC, no, im going to be making the body myself, but i dont know the wood yet, it will probably be the cheapest i can find (which is free, unless i hesitate soo much that they pay me to take it away, which isnt likely ). plus i live in England - No Warmoth but ive got axesrus so im alright.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: