Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
stratomaster123

Hot Rod Deville Issues

So back in June I had my Hot Rod Deville re-tubed under warranty through Guitar Center. Anything with distortion sounded thin and buzzy and gross through it and I had much less reverb then when i bought it.

Fast forward to last weekend and now I have no reverb. I figured it should have been fixed for good with a new set of power tubes but it isn't. I also listed it as something that I would have liked the company to service when I sent it in but now it's not working. Any ideas as to what my next step should be or what the problem is with my amp?

Also I just noticed that when I really lay into my guitar with the volume on the amp at a decent volume there are weird blue flashes inside the power tubes. Is that just a tube thing I haven't noticed before because it's usually hidden or did the company who services stuff for Guitar Center screw up?
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
stratomaster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratomaster123
So back in June I had my Hot Rod Deville re-tubed under warranty through Guitar Center. Anything with distortion sounded thin and buzzy and gross through it and I had much less reverb then when i bought it.

Fast forward to last weekend and now I have no reverb. I figured it should have been fixed for good with a new set of power tubes but it isn't. I also listed it as something that I would have liked the company to service when I sent it in but now it's not working. Any ideas as to what my next step should be or what the problem is with my amp?

Also I just noticed that when I really lay into my guitar with the volume on the amp at a decent volume there are weird blue flashes inside the power tubes. Is that just a tube thing I haven't noticed before because it's usually hidden or did the company who services stuff for Guitar Center screw up?

I can't really help you with your other problems, but the tubes glowing blue when you are laying into the guitar is perfectly normal.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:

i can't speak on the distortion too much. i always thought the HRD's had a pretty lackluster distortion.

the reverb though, that is another issue. fading reverb can be due to a number of things, but it can usually be attributed to a crappy send/receive. when you send a signal out to the reverb, you need an 'amplification' system to help deliver and receive signal to the reverb.

usually this was done with a preamp tube like a 12AT-7, but more modern amps tend to use a transistor or opamp instead (which is what i would guess on your HRD). this would probably need to be serviced.

also, your reverb can get disabled by the springs in the reverb pan becoming dis-attached. either way, this is a problem GC or fender should figure out. you bought something that is not delivering and it is THEIR problem to figure it out.

Quote:

power tubes won't have anything to do with the reverb. frankly, GC or fender should not be taking advice from you about servicing the amp because they no much more about what could be wrong. if they replaced the power tubes then they probably just wasted some money.

if you bought this amp new and it is still under warrenty, then the next step is: walk into guitar center and tell them to get you a working amp by either fixing yours or getting a new one. it is unacceptable for a new amp not to work as promised.

Quote:

tube 'blow blue' all the time. it is impurities inside the tube that flash a blue color, but it is nothing to worry about.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 10-20-2012 at 03:49 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
stratomaster123

I agree with the built in distortion but I'd run my pedals through it and those started sounding like garbage, too. That's why I figured I needed new tubes. They were the originals to the amp and were two years old. Anyway I just barely got my amp in before my two year warranty was up from Guitar Center. Probably just need to visit a tech around town here so they can debunk my reverb issues now.
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
stratomaster123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
I agree with the built in distortion but I'd run my pedals through it and those started sounding like garbage, too. That's why I figured I needed new tubes. They were the originals to the amp and were two years old. Anyway I just barely got my amp in before my two year warranty was up from Guitar Center.

yeah, i thought you were talking about the native distortion. that sux dude. i would at least give GC one more go. even though you 'barely got it in there before the two year mark' they still DID NOT fix the issues adequately. at the very least i would appeal to them from that angle.

doing a shit job of fixing your amp is not acceptable, at least give them the opportunity to set it right or lose your business (and that is how i would phrase it).

Quote:
Probably just need to visit a tech around town here so they can debunk my reverb issues now.

before you spend money on a tech, try some simple preamp tube replacement. get a couple extra 12AX-7's and do this:
-pull V1 tube
-replace with the new tube
-check to see if problem persists
-if problem persists, then pull the new tube
-replace V1 with old tube
-repeat with the next tube (V2, then V3)

this is something simple you can do at home and might save you a bench fee.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: