Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
bady0407

Alternate Picking, especially inside picking and starting with upstroke

I noticed in my playing, that i have a problem with inside picking, but not that inside picking:
-----0----0-------0------0----
--------0-----0------0------0--
In this case, i can go around 110~bpm 16th notes, so i think it sounds good
But i have problem with inside picking while i play something like this:
------17-16-13-----------------------
----------------------17-15-13-------
I don't know where is the problem, but i think it's just practice, but what to practice
I thought about playing that first "exercise", i think it's good to bust inside picking technique and of course licks with inside picking, i created them few mins ago:
---7----------------------------
--------10--9--7--9--10----
Repeat on other pair strings

---7---9--10-------
-----------------8---
Repeat on ohter strings

And I just want to practice all kind of alternate picking exercise like chromatic, scales etc, etc

But I think that when i am starting with upstroke, my alternate picking for 3 to 4 strokes is litte strange, not always but often and I think that it's can be a problem with that second Malmsteen lick.
So i am gonna to add also playing all that 4 exercises+chroamtic, scales etc, starting with an upstroke

And fifth exercise is gallop on low E and A string, with PM and not but:
---DUD----DUD, not that gallop but that ---DUD--UDU---DUD--UDU--, and some permutations like starting gallop from upstroke etc.

Do you think that all that things should help to my problem? If don't, then what is the common problem?
Anyway thanks for help!
bady0407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
bady0407

Can anybody help with that unusual problem?
bady0407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
gabipe15

You can try picking Up, down, up, down, instead of down up down up in the first case.
Or you can mix some sweep picking to help.

For example :

U D U
U D U

Doing some sweep between 13 and 17 frets.

If you intend on repeating these pattern, the problem will appear again when you finish upstroke on 13th fret cause you will go down to start over instead of picking up like i suggested. So i recommend METRONOME really slow till you get the inside picking.

Best you can do master it is creating irregular patterns, maybe 5 notes on each string before changing, or triplets.
gabipe15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
llBlackenedll
Serial Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabipe15
You can try picking Up, down, up, down, instead of down up down up in the first case.

That's avoiding the problem rather than fixing it. It's fine as a temporary measure, say if you have a really short space of time to learn something and that's the only bit troubling you, but things like this are much better actually fixed for the long term as it's bound to creep up a lot.

Quote:
Or you can mix some sweep picking to help.

For example :

U D U
U D U

Doing some sweep between 13 and 17 frets.

That's commonly called Economy Picking (picking in the direction of the next string), a useful tool and it can sound different. It's worth experimenting with and using if you like the sound it makes, but again this is just avoiding the problem rather than working to fix it.

Quote:
Best you can do master it is creating irregular patterns, maybe 5 notes on each string before changing, or triplets.

That's a good way to work on it, though that will work both your inside and outside picking. If you want to focus on inside picking (and you do) you want to work with an even number of notes per string. If ascending, use an even number of notes per string and start with a down stroke, if descending, use an even number of notes per string and start with an upstroke. Just do it very, very slowly at first and watch your hand closely - you should see where your movements could be improved/more efficient.

As an aside, you're using the word "triplets" as if it simply means "a group of 3 notes" when it's actually the division of two standard (even) length notes into 3 timeslots, for example where two eighths normally equals one quarter, three eighth note tripets equals one quarter. And they don't always come in groups of 3, you might get a quarter note triplet followed by an eighth note triplet for example.

This ain't no wobbly-headed doll caper.

Last edited by llBlackenedll : 12-02-2012 at 01:46 PM.
llBlackenedll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Goncalo Crespo

Let me get this right: You're saying that you don't have a problem when inside picking open strings or open strings muted with the right hand but when you introduce your left hand there's a problem?

If that's the case, it looks to me that there's a sync problem. IMHO you should just analyze the problem slowing it down enough in order to realize which movement exactly is causing you the problem and then focus solely on that movement. But you need to be honest and identify the movement first.
Goncalo Crespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
cdgraves

Try this exercise. Start slow, use strict alternate picking, and use all your different note values - quarters, 8ths, triplets, 16ths

Code:
On any pair of strings: ||:--5-6-7-8--:||:--5-6-7----:||:--5-6------:||:--5-------:||:-----------:|| ||:-----------:||:--------8--:||:------7-8--:||:----6-7-8-:||:--5-6-7-8--:|| ||:-----------:||:--------8--:||:------7-8--:||:----6-7-8-:||:--5-6-7-8--:|| ||:--5-6-7-8--:||:--5-6-7----:||:--5-6------:||:--5-------:||:-----------:||

And with string skipping:

Code:
||:--5-6-7-8--:||:--5-6-7----:||:--5-6------:||:--5-------:||:-----------:|| ||:-----------:||:-----------:||:-----------:||:----------:||:-----------:|| ||:-----------:||:--------8--:||:------7-8--:||:----6-7-8-:||:--5-6-7-8--:|| ||:-----------:||:--------8--:||:------7-8--:||:----6-7-8-:||:--5-6-7-8--:|| ||:-----------:||:-----------:||:-----------:||:----------:||:-----------:|| ||:--5-6-7-8--:||:--5-6-7----:||:--5-6------:||:--5-------:||:-----------:||

Last edited by cdgraves : 02-15-2013 at 02:15 PM.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Goncalo Crespo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgraves
Try this exercise. Start slow, use strict alternate picking, and use all your different note values - quarters, 8ths, triplets, 16ths

Code:
On any pair of strings: ||:--5-6-7-8--:||:--5-6-7----:||:--5-6------:||:--5-------:||:-----------:|| ||:-----------:||:--------8--:||:------7-8--:||:----6-7-8-:||:--5-6-7-8--:|| ||:-----------:||:--------8--:||:------7-8--:||:----6-7-8-:||:--5-6-7-8--:|| ||:--5-6-7-8--:||:--5-6-7----:||:--5-6------:||:--5-------:||:-----------:||

And with string skipping:

Code:
||:--5-6-7-8--:||:--5-6-7----:||:--5-6------:||:--5-------:||:-----------:|| ||:-----------:||:-----------:||:-----------:||:-----------:||:-----------:|| ||:-----------:||:--------8--:||:------7-8--:||:----6-7-8-:||:--5-6-7-8--:|| ||:-----------:||:--------8--:||:------7-8--:||:----6-7-8-:||:--5-6-7-8--:|| ||:-----------:||:-----------:||:-----------:||:-----------:||:-----------:|| ||:--5-6-7-8--:||:--5-6-7----:||:--5-6------:||:--5-------:||:-----------:||

Looks like a cool inside/oustide picking exercise. Cool, I'm gonna try that one.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

String skips will help you get more familiar with odd left hand right hand positions so when your faced with what you mentioned earlier it will not seem as daunting. Now also how your picking and how you approach said lick will determine the outcome. So you must slow down and see like actually look down and see what your doing and then you will see whats making it so difficult and be able to fix the issue. Patience!
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Goncalo Crespo

I just wanted to mention that the aforementioned exercises feel really cool and helpful. Thanks for posting these!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goncalo Crespo
I just wanted to mention that the aforementioned exercises feel really cool and helpful. Thanks for posting these!

Love this one to.
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
bburritt1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: