Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
Speedkills85

When playing power chords....

I saw a video where a man was demonstrating them and the example was something like his index finger on the 6th string 3rd fret and then his ring finger on the 5th string 5th fret. Both his fingers were just above the fret wire and he stressed this being important. I tried doing the same but I just can't get that kind of stretch- it doesn't seem possible for me. I don't know if this is because I have just started or what, i've been practicing for like 2 months now or so. My hands are kinda undersized compared to most guys. I can, however, do as the person in the video did if I use my pinky instead of my ring finger. I was thinking of just doing it this way. Is this *technically* correct?
Speedkills85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

You can play a power chord either way. The problem with using your pinky as opposed to your ring finger is that a lot of people play power chords by using their index finger on the 6th string 3rd fret, ring 5th string 5th fret, & pinky 4th string 5th fret because it is a little fuller sounding so if you aren't used to playing 2 string power chords with your index & ring fingers then it will be harder to play those, then if you move onto barre chords you'll really start to have a hard time because they require more of a stretch. I would suggest that you keep trying. The more you practice the more limber your fingers will get so you'll probably work your way up to making that stretch. Just don't try to overdo it, if it is painful then it's time to back off from it a little bit.
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
osiris8
Submit Shark

I have pretty short fingers and that stretch is no problem - keep on playing and you'll have no problem with it no time!
Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Speedkills85

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg158
You can play a power chord either way. The problem with using your pinky as opposed to your ring finger is that a lot of people play power chords by using their index finger on the 6th string 3rd fret, ring 5th string 5th fret, & pinky 4th string 5th fret because it is a little fuller sounding so if you aren't used to playing 2 string power chords with your index & ring fingers then it will be harder to play those, then if you move onto barre chords you'll really start to have a hard time because they require more of a stretch. I would suggest that you keep trying. The more you practice the more limber your fingers will get so you'll probably work your way up to making that stretch. Just don't try to overdo it, if it is painful then it's time to back off from it a little bit.

Thanks. I will continue trying and had intended to do so. It's just currently since I cannot get a good stretch at all it doesn't come out very good when trying to go up and down the neck. I find it easier to move up and down the neck using the index and pinky finger. At the same time I have only just begun giving attention to power chords. Only a few weeks ago I was able to get the F chord and can play it alright most of the time. No issues with the stretching/finger positioning as before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osiris8
I have pretty short fingers and that stretch is no problem - keep on playing and you'll have no problem with it no time!

Thanks

Last edited by Speedkills85 : 03-27-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedkills85
I don't know if this is because I have just started or what, i've been practicing for like 2 months now or so. My hands are kinda undersized compared to most guys.

The problem is 100% that you're just a beginner, keep up the practice and you'll get it soon enough.

I want to impress upon you one thing right now though: never blame your body for being unable to do something. It's a complete cop-out and definitely a habit you should be careful against getting in to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Anon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I want to impress upon you one thing right now though: never blame your body for being unable to do something. It's a complete cop-out and definitely a habit you should be careful against getting in to.

Thiiiiiiiiis.

I have tiny hands compared to most people (I'm average height but even people smaller than me tend to have bigger hands) and I used to think I couldn't do many things on guitar because of it.

You can still do everything someone with large hands can. It might take more practice to get used to it but in the long run it's not a significant issue at all.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
socrfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The problem is 100% that you're just a beginner, keep up the practice and you'll get it soon enough.

Exactly this. My hands are also pretty small and I can make that stretch easily. It's just gonna take some time.
socrfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Speedkills85

Yes, thanks. I was just annoyed I couldn't get it after putting in some effort. I will carry on until I do.

Rate This Thread: