Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
ResonanceEffect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Question Metallic sound when doing hammer-on

Hey guys,

It's always been on my mind how annoying this problem is.
Basically, while all the hammer-on sounds so nice and clear on the
videos on Youtube, mine gives a weird clink-ding noise, kind of metallic
as if the string is hitting the fret below the one I'm hammering.

It's a more prominent problem when it comes to the lower frets (10+ onwards).
The extra sound makes the entire hammering sounds off since the harmonic
it produces is just way off.

Any ways to resolve this problem? Thank you!

Cheers
ResonanceEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
Omnigears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singapore
Your action could be too low?
Omnigears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
ResonanceEffect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnigears
Your action could be too low?


This is the 7th fret untouched.
show


This is it after pressing down on the 15th fret.
show


What do you think of the action?
If it's too low is there an easy way of increasing it for
acoustic guitars?

Last edited by ResonanceEffect : 03-29-2013 at 10:47 PM.
ResonanceEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
Good Ol' Ramos
UG Newbie
 
Good Ol' Ramos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
How long has it been since you've changed your strings? I know mine are starting to go because of a weird harmonic that shows up when I play. It's almost like this background, hollow, metallic echo.
Good Ol' Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
Tempus
In Gear Hell
 
Tempus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResonanceEffect
This is the 7th fret untouched.
show


This is it after pressing down on the 15th fret.
show


What do you think of the action?
If it's too low is there an easy way of increasing it for
acoustic guitars?


It's a harmonic produced from tapping the note on acoustic guitars. I've never found a way around them but someone here probably has an answer.
__________________
Blah blah blah RGD2127Z blah blah blah ENGL E670 blah blah Axe-FX II blah blah *vomits*
Tempus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
coldandhomeless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
there should be a truss rod nut inside the soundhole at the base of the neck.... quick thought... are you sure the wierd notes are not between the fretted note and the nut? palm mute and try it. i bet thats whats going on..
coldandhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #7
coldandhomeless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
and as for the wierd hollow metallic echo, that is either the strings between the nut and tuners, hair band solves this, or its the springs to ur trem (if u got one, put spongeee material inside the spring compartment. problem solved.
coldandhomeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #8
ResonanceEffect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Ol' Ramos
How long has it been since you've changed your strings? I know mine are starting to go because of a weird harmonic that shows up when I play. It's almost like this background, hollow, metallic echo.


I just changed it actually. But the problem persists regardless of the age of my string
and its condition it seems.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempus
It's a harmonic produced from tapping the note on acoustic guitars. I've never found a way around them but someone here probably has an answer.


I see, thanks for information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldandhomeless
there should be a truss rod nut inside the soundhole at the base of the neck.... quick thought... are you sure the wierd notes are not between the fretted note and the nut? palm mute and try it. i bet thats whats going on..


https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4p5mnqd6...Voice%20022.mp3

This is a recording of the 7th 9th and 12th fret hammer on.
First part is normal hammering, second part is with the string muted.
You can hear that the second tone created is in a sort of descending aperggio despite the supposed note scaling up instead of down (7th to 12th fret).

I can't really find where is it coming from, what do you make of this situation?
ResonanceEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
 
Zaphod_Beeblebr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Behind a desk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResonanceEffect
as if the string is hitting the fret below the one I'm hammering.


It is.

That the sound of the string that's behind the note you're actually playing. The only things you can really do are mute behind your fretting hand (impractical) or just make sure that the notes you do want people to hear are loud enough that it doesn't matter.

I would also say... you're hammering really hard. I have to really try to get those tones to sound that loudly; you don't need to use that much force to get a hammer-on to sound.

Edit: check this video:



That's actually what's going on, only you're doing it accidentally.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Ittei
Matters of small concern should be treated seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.


Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 03-30-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:05 AM   #10
ResonanceEffect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It is.

That the sound of the string that's behind the note you're actually playing. The only things you can really do are mute behind your fretting hand (impractical) or just make sure that the notes you do want people to hear are loud enough that it doesn't matter.

I would also say... you're hammering really hard. I have to really try to get those tones to sound that loudly; you don't need to use that much force to get a hammer-on to sound.

Edit: check this video:



That's actually what's going on, only you're doing it accidentally.


Yup seems like that's indeed the case.
But for songs like Trace Bundy's Dueling Ninja I find myself having the need
to hammer on considerably hard to hear the note, since I have no pickups
on my guitar. Will pickups ease the issue or will it detect the unwanted tone
as well?
ResonanceEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
ResonanceEffect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Thanks for all the inputs, I appreciate them!
Does any have any suggestion technique-wise in hammering?
ResonanceEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
Jihad Jesus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Here's the best hammer-on/pull-off lesson ever.
Jihad Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
 
Zaphod_Beeblebr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Behind a desk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jihad Jesus
Here's the best hammer-on/pull-off lesson ever.


Doesn't help with TS's problem at all. Makes me wonder if you even read the thread...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Ittei
Matters of small concern should be treated seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #14
WishfulShredder
wishfultosser
 
WishfulShredder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jihad Jesus
Here's the best hammer-on/pull-off lesson ever.


god he has shit technique
__________________
www.last.fm/user/Dakka_dakka
WishfulShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
kian89
UG Board King
 
kian89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lost
as much as i can understand, Technically i think you should lift your bridge a little bit
__________________
Info
kian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.