Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
Waff
UG's Waffle

C4C - Metal #2

Just need some fresh ears to take a listen and critique. Thanks.
Waff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
dmitry.gubsky
Discipline me more!

Hi, mix sounds really unbalanced. Snare drum is too LOUD. Guitars are at the center, but they should be wide. Have you recorded it as doubletrack? This is the first things that should be fixed, IMO.
dmitry.gubsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
Metal Turtle

This mix is much better! I must add though that you seems to be playing everything in mono, i know its a demo but i think some kind of panning for the drums and guitar would make more of an impression. The riffs are kickass man! Sort of has that 80's feels to it. Maybe the reverb though lol
Metal Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Waff
UG's Waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitry.gubsky
Hi, mix sounds really unbalanced. Snare drum is too LOUD. Guitars are at the center, but they should be wide. Have you recorded it as doubletrack? This is the first things that should be fixed, IMO.

Hey dmitry, thanks for response.

Some of the guitars ARE panned out wider. The main guitar is near the center, but the rhythm guitars are panned out a bit more. I'm not singing yet, which means the guitar is the focus. Shouldn't the focus be near the center?

The main guitar is on a mono track to prevent the reverb from stacking up. The rhythm guitars however are stereo. I think the snare volume is okay imo, maybe I'll turn it down a tiny bit.

Metal Turtle: I am deaf in my right ear, I've never heard in stereo ever since I was born. If I listen to it in protools with a set of speakers, and move the panning back and forth on a track, in real time, I can definitely hear it moving across. Wouldn't it be irritating to hear half of something on one ear and half on the other? I panned everything on both sides pretty much the same.

Last edited by Waff : 01-05-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Metal Turtle

I had no idea that you were deaf on one ear, and yes it would be if everything was heard on one side, but hey man if it sounds good to you than im all for it man
Metal Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Indy_Fire

Kinda reminds me of Knightrider at one point. Not a bad thing I liked that theme.
Love the scale and choice of notes you have used and the layers al mesh well together, how many you got on the mix? 3?
The only thing I 'd say is it's missing a bass line. Nice fat one to beef it up.

Check mine?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1581515
Indy_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
Waff
UG's Waffle

I kind of agree with the bassline thing. I really would like to move onto something new though. When the time is right I'll go back to it and do that. Thanks! I'll crit your work in your respective thread.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Gregjr22

I thought the guitar work was awesome, had like a medieval sound to it. Definetly agree with Indy_Fire, throw a fat bass line in there and it would fatten the track up. Also maybe try doubling up the Ryhthm guitars and panning them wider, and throw the bass line in the center and turn up the kick and i think it would make a huge difference. Awesome track though man! Love to hear more.

If you have time, check my track out i recently recorded.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1581719
Gregjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: