Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #21
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDetroit
You have that wrong.. Turning the truss rod clockwise will indeed tightening the truss rod which results in a flatter neck so it removes relief..
You are right Bob. I got it exactly opposite. I had a real brain fart on that one.

Last edited by fly135 : 05-25-2013 at 10:07 AM.
fly135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #22
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

To know if you should adjust the truss rod, push down your first and last fret of your low E string and check if there's some space between the 12th fret and the string. If there's no space, you need to adjust your truss rod. But if there is some space, the problem might be something else. But I don't think it's your action because if your action was too low, you would also get fret buzz on the higher frets. You could of course see if raising the action a bit solves the problem. But I had to raise the action an my Charvel a lot before the fret buzz went away. And my guitar needed truss rod adjustment. Now I can have my action low and there's little to no buzz.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #23
The Neighbor of the Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135
Truss rod adjustments affect the string height. Technically you are correct that the truss rod is not to adjust string height. However incorrect relief (as well as unlevel frets) will affect how low you can get the string height without buzz. And that is what this thread is about.

Agreed. but should be considered after addressing all that other stuff w/ the bridge.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #24
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 667
Agreed. but should be considered after addressing all that other stuff w/ the bridge.

Truss rod should be adjusted if and only if your neck is the problem. Read my post above. You should do the "measurement" I mentioned in my earlier post before starting to adjust anything. It's just useless to adjust the bridge if the neck is the real problem. It might solve the fret buzz problem but it might affect your guitar's playability. For example I had to raise my action on my Charvel ridiculously high to get rid of the buzz. If you can't have low action without buzzing, truss rod might be the problem. And it doesn't kill your guitar if you adjust it. People make adjusting the truss rod sound a lot scarier than it really is. Yes, you can screw up your neck but I think all adjustments should be done carefully. If you adjust it carefully, just 1/8 or 1/4 turn at the time, nothings going to break.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: