Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
Ortix

Crappy sound from Gibson with guitar rig

For some reason my gibson doesn't sound any different from my cheapass chinese guitar on guitar rig 5. I use an m-audio fasttrack II to record my guitars into sonar x1 but both guitars sound the same on all the presets.

So my guess is that the interface is crap since there is an OBVIOUS sound difference on my orange amp between the guitars. The only difference that i see with my interface between the guitars is that the gibson has a LOT more gain, but that's it.

So would buying a new interface alleviate this issue? I have to buy a new one anyway with at least 2 XLR inputs so suggestions are welcome. Budget is around $250

Oh and before asking:" Wait a minute! Why don't you record your orange amp???" Well I live in a student appartment complex.. The orange amp produces too much sound. I already got noise complaints for singing :')

Last edited by Ortix : 03-16-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Ortix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Sethis

I think you just expect too much from the gibson. If that's not the case then my guess is that the problem is in your monitors.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
flexiblemile

Before you fork over money for a card upgrade, I'm sure you can get great results by tweaking.

This was posted here a while ago and it's very helpful

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Ge...g/ba-p/34643372

I think if you're using distortion that you didn't tweak, it might cover up the nuances in your gibson vs your pos beater. The gibson will probably shine a lot more after you're polished your tone a bit.
flexiblemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
Ortix

My 'monitors' could also be the case.. totally forgot about them :') They are not even monitors, just regular speakers. I should really invest in monitors
Old 03-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Zigioman

Yeah they will make a big deference but since you live in a student apartment complex I would recommend headphone style monitors so you don't have to have your mix super quiet if you want to work on it late at night.
Zigioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Ortix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigioman
Yeah they will make a big deference but since you live in a student apartment complex I would recommend headphone style monitors so you don't have to have your mix super quiet if you want to work on it late at night.

I have a pair of AKG k514's that I bought a couple of years ago. Not sure how good those are. I have no experience with headphone monitors. Any good ones you can recommend? Keep in mind I'm a student
Old 03-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Zigioman

Those are good headphones and should definitely give you better sound than your speakers. The only issue is that if you are planning on mixing songs regular headphone can color the sound. That's where headphone monitors come in. First see if you're happy with how your current headphones sound, if they work fine there's no point spending more money. If you're not I'd get a set of Sennheiser HD 280 PRO's. I can't vouch for them personally but I'd heard only good things about them and have been considering getting a pair myself.
Zigioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

From Personal Experience, the Fasttrack DI Inputs are terrible. They are very very muddy. Pick up a DI box and use that into the XLR in.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Ortix

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
From Personal Experience, the Fasttrack DI Inputs are terrible. They are very very muddy. Pick up a DI box and use that into the XLR in.

I noticed that too, EVERY single preset requires me to boost the highs and the mids because it's way to muddy. I always thought "why can't they make a normal sounding preset".. i guess my input just sucks Time to get a better interface whoop
Old 03-18-2013, 05:53 AM   #10
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Like I said, you don't need a new interface. A cheap DI box into the XLR Ins will be miles better than the DI in.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

In addition to everything that's been said, Guitar Rig is pretty shite, especially compared to stuff like LePou plug-ins (which are free, by the way).

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
MetalMullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexiblemile
Before you fork over money for a card upgrade, I'm sure you can get great results by tweaking.

This was posted here a while ago and it's very helpful

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Ge...g/ba-p/34643372

I think if you're using distortion that you didn't tweak, it might cover up the nuances in your gibson vs your pos beater. The gibson will probably shine a lot more after you're polished your tone a bit.

I have a similar problem to the OP so I checked out this link. Problem is I really don't understand anything about Hz, dB and stuff. I'm using Guitar Rig 4 and tried to tweak around in the parametric EQ, but I just have no idea where to start. The variables are endless so I could use some help. My main problem is that I get a lot of noise in the distortion. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
MetalMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 AM   #13
Albertogoe

This article is worth reading. Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
In addition to everything that's been said, Guitar Rig is pretty shite, especially compared to stuff like LePou plug-ins (which are free, by the way).

I remember trying out the free version of Guitar Rig for a few days. I not only found LePou plug-ins easier to work with, but I also got a vastly better tone from them...

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:01 AM   #15
roaraudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortix
The only difference that i see with my interface between the guitars is that the gibson has a LOT more gain, but that's it.

roaraudio is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: