Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #941
andrew.fox

Hey all! Long time lurker, for time poster.

Currently I am playing an Epiphone Semi-Hollow Union Jack Supernova (the Noel Gallagher guitar, here's link http://www.rareelectricguitar.com/Epiphone-Supernova-Union-Jack-Guitar-sale_2355.html). I am playing on an AC-15 these days, and I am not digging the way this guitar and amp sounds together. The Epiphone comes through really muddy (can't get clear tone) and if I kick in some overdrive it sounds even more washed. It's got 2 Humbuckers (Alnico 57 pickups).

I am looking for a more clear, but "controllable" sound. Kinda like the pickups in a Gretsch Duo Jet (though not sure this epiphone could use that same dual switch setup). I would like something more clear-toned, but able to play some of that bluesy, gritty, Jack White-y/Old Black Keys-y kind of stuff. Does that make sense?

I would like to stay around $150-200, but would also like to hear "money isn't a factor" options (besides just buying the Duo Jet, which I considered )

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
andrew.fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:19 AM   #942
Outside Octaves
Thinking about the octave

Looking at getting the Seymour Duncan 59' Custom Hybrid... both bridge and neck models... possibly.

Would it go good with the guitar I was given as a gift ?
As I don't know if this guitar is considered "balanced and warm"? lol.

I mean I know it's made of Agathis, with a Flame-Maple top, and rosewood fingerboard... sounds like it "should" be warm and balanced, but with a bit of a darker tone possibly as it's tonally related to Mahogany according to this site.
As this site sais Mahogany is dark yet warm, with a lot of bottom end.

And this site sais about rosewood " featuring a bell-like attack and a rich, high-fidelity ring."

So in the end I'm guessing this all combines for a "balanced and warm, if a (little) dark" tone... so would this be suitable for that guitar?

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Last edited by Outside Octaves : 12-13-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Outside Octaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:11 AM   #943
allepa

Hello!

I have this pickup choosing problem: I just bought Ibanez RG1451 (basswood body, maple/rosewood neck and tight-end bridge) guitar, which has Dimarzio ToneZone on bridge. I was assuming pickup would sound good, but was disappointed to notice that it really lacks some growl. I recently sold my old RG821 which had Ibanez own stock bridge pickup CAP-VM2 and weirdly that stock pickup had more growl and better bite compared to TZ. Like the right higher frequencies that add the clawing evil sound to the tone are entirely missing. I am thinking maybe basswood body and TZ together make the sound so balanced it's almost boringly flat?

So: In a way I like TZ's large sound, but I need tighter and more brutal pickup. I like my guitar sound more or less like my bass sound: It would be cool to get a bit like Warwick vibe to it, tight bottom end and still punching form of mids and highs. A bit like this Celtic Frost on this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xP_KFgZBQw

Appreciate if someone could lend his knowledge and give some advice =).
allepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:30 PM   #944
Will Lane
left an ac30 on his truck

Yes, I read through the OPs.

I have a Washburn X-30 that I would like to upgrade. The current stock headhunter pups are pretty flat and versatile, but I would like something with more output, sensitivity, and punch. But not too much so :p The pups are both humbuckers, and the wiring uses coil tap. I don't really use that coil tap function, but I dunno how all that works so coil-tap compatibility in some way would be beneficial. I play Church worship music, alternative, post-rock, ambience, etc. The Amp I currently have is an older model Valveking with a WGS Retro 30 speaker.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking something Seymour Duncan. I was looking at the Pearly Gates, but they're pushing $100 each :/ So nothing too expensive please, unless I wouldn't be satisfied. No actives plz. Black casing would match my guitar best.

Last edited by Will Lane : 01-16-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:12 PM   #945
VivaVirilium
My Meat Computer is Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Lane
Yes, I read through the OPs.

I have a Washburn X-30 that I would like to upgrade. The current stock headhunter pups are pretty flat and versatile, but I would like something with more output, sensitivity, and punch. But not too much so :p The pups are both humbuckers, and the wiring uses coil tap. I don't really use that coil tap function, but I dunno how all that works so coil-tap compatibility in some way would be beneficial. I play Church worship music, alternative, post-rock, ambience, etc. The Amp I currently have is an older model Valveking with a WGS Retro 30 speaker.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking something Seymour Duncan. I was looking at the Pearly Gates, but they're pushing $100 each :/ So nothing too expensive please, unless I wouldn't be satisfied. No actives plz. Black casing would match my guitar best.

Okie dokie.... You want some advice?

Your washburn is a cool guitar, especially if it has a coil tap option. if you REALLY want higher output .... IGNORE the coil tap option on the stock pickups. What I would do is gut whatever's in there and fully rewire it with HIGH OUTPUT humbuckers.

I would recommend something noisless, ideally a EMG 81 / 85 combo. Yessssss, they are ACTIVE pups. You will need space internally for a 9 V battery.

$100 unfortunately these days is not a "large budget" for a fully new Seymour Duncan set up.

However, there is an alternative ---

BARE KNUCKLE PICKUPS.

Find a single BKP humbucker and put it in the bridge position, that is what I *personally* prefer. I've been using a BKP Nailbomb for about 4 years and, yes, it was very pricy when I purchased it, but it sounds absolutely phenomenal for both high output and low output applications.

Duncan and BKP are my favorite brands, have you looked into the SD Alnico II Pro series at all? I like to use an Alnico II Pro "Slash" for neck applications.

“Can't say it often enough - change your hair, change your life.”
CEO / Spirit Guide
VIVA VIRILIUM INDUSTRIES
http://www.vivavirilium.com/
VivaVirilium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:39 PM   #946
an.interloper
Jackbanez Compositions

So I just got myself another Ibanez S, which I'm absolutely stoked on. Normally I'm a massive DiMarzio Evo fanatic, but I'm looking for alternatives to maybe try something different. The guitar is mahogany with a maple neck, and I'm looking good for something a bit... punchier - more pronounced mids/high mids, and if possible a good clean tone and good dynamics as well.

During my search, I came across a SD Pegasus, and though it sounds good kn paper, I have zero experience with it, so I was hoping for some input.

Also, I'm aware of BKP and considered an Aftermath, but to be honest it seems a bit harsh on the highs, and I'd rather get a bridge pickup to do what I want, a land a single coil for the HSH middle slot configuration than spend almost $200 on one pickup. And on that topic, any suggestions on a single for thr middle position that's got really printing, round clean tone?

I play mostly prog/metal/hard rock with a touch of djent, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Peavey XXX 2x12
Yamaha THR10x

M-Audio Interface
Reaper

www.soundcloud.com/0ddsea
an.interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #947
supertom1
UG's Resident Vegan

Best humbucker for death metal in an alder-bodied Pacifica 112V, as well as a stacked bucker for the neck that has an output high enough for solos? I'd prefer something passive, £100 seems a tad pricey but I wouldn't say that Seymour Duncan Distortions and Invaders are too much (at the £60 - £80 mark)

Please, call me TH Necro
supertom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #948
supertom1
UG's Resident Vegan

bump

Please, call me TH Necro
supertom1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: