Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #14281
greeny23
Mechromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T7E
Wooooo ****in yay. New track dropping tomorrow has TJR all ****in over it.

Also man, Yehudi who plays keys for us plays guitar in The Sand Dollars and they are legit as ****. They are playing NYE with Kingswood, DZ Deathrays, Griswolds and Architecture in Helsinki. They have a Splash Damage and a SHO between them are probably more deserving of a spot haha

they're up too. endorse ALL of the bands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonk
I just got home.
I amde sooooo ****ign wated i thought it wqqs 8Am
GUSSS THT WHAT HAPPNS WHEN YOU SISTER OWND A BDAR ANF YOU GE FREEE DRINL.
greeny23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:35 AM   #14282
T7E
All smiles :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny23
they're up too. endorse ALL of the bands.

**** yeah bby
Dr Scientist The Cleanness
Idustrialectric Reverb Machine
Smallsound/Bigsound Buzzz
Smallsound/Bigsound Mini
Strymon EL Capistan
Barwatt Rocket 30w
T7E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM   #14283
jmaguire

Quote:
Originally Posted by stradivari310
Your rig is off to a good start! Definitely needs some dirt pedals though, unless you're happy with the amp. I really love the Boss HM-2 but the Metal Zone can be good with mods.

Also, I'm really amused that you mentioned I Kill Giants. They're an incredible band and good friends of mine. Have you listened to the post-IKG projects? There are a few and they're all great.

Thanks, I'm getting there.
Well, next on the list are a tuner and a tubescreamer type pedal that I need for my band's stuff. I need it as like a third, light breakup channel.
I'm using an Egnater Tweaker 88 and the distortion on that is nice for a normal sort of gain tone. I am looking at buying a fuzz or something though, or some shitty distortion that's fizzy and dirty enough to substitute similarly.

Yeah, I've had a quick listen to Strange Mangers. Thats the guitarist's band or something isn't it?
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM   #14284
LaidBack
Call me Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbrokenGlass
God, I lived with one of those people once. I feel your pain man; gotta agree that it would suck to lose that money for nothing, but I know the temptation man. People are the worst.

And re: earlier point about not being able to transpose stuff to your hands, I get that too. Very frustrating to pick up a guitar and have the same old shit come out.

Yea, shit's frustrating sometimes, on both accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I see your boobies and raise you a pair of Great Tits.

Now those are some fine tits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaguire
Well, next on the list are a tuner and a tubescreamer type pedal that I need for my band's stuff. I need it as like a third, light breakup channel.
I'm using an Egnater Tweaker 88 and the distortion on that is nice for a normal sort of gain tone. I am looking at buying a fuzz or something though, or some shitty distortion that's fizzy and dirty enough to substitute similarly.

Yeah, I've had a quick listen to Strange Mangers. Thats the guitarist's band or something isn't it?

If you like your amp's dirt, by all means use it. I used amp gain all the time, but I also have 4 or 5 dirt pedals on my board at any given time for different "flavors".
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM   #14285
UnbrokenGlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack
Yea, shit's frustrating sometimes, on both accounts.

Yeah. On the second one, a way I've found around that sometimes is just retuning one of my guitars to something bonkers and just start jamming, then figure out what the hell I was playing. Gotten some good stuff out of that.
Twitter
UnbrokenGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM   #14286
LaidBack
Call me Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbrokenGlass
Yeah. On the second one, a way I've found around that sometimes is just retuning one of my guitars to something bonkers and just start jamming, then figure out what the hell I was playing. Gotten some good stuff out of that.

Honestly, since I haven't played much (what I normally do when I get frustrated) I've probably just got the itch. I also just need to learn some new songs to break out of old habits.
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM   #14287
VishNuRoXoUt
They call me Karebear...

About to step my cabinet game up just a little bit. Gonna be sweet, dudes.

So I am keeping the Orange 2x12. But I'm trading the 4x12 because the wear on it upsets me. But it's a cool cab, just don't need it.

Also, tomorrow I get the VTM60. I really need to settle the **** down so I can work on my sad little pedalboard. hahahaha

τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ ∞

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote:
Originally Posted by My buddy, Maxwell
I think that's really what we want out of life. Sugar mommas and verellens.
VishNuRoXoUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #14288
TheTransient
Brendan

^ yeah definitely keep the old 2x12. I bet it's pretty rad

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Sensor Array σ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
TheTransient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM   #14289
VishNuRoXoUt
They call me Karebear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTransient
^ yeah definitely keep the old 2x12. I bet it's pretty rad

It sounds great. I actually don't care for the Orange 4x12 all that much. Which doesn't surprise me because I didn't like the other Orange 4x12s I had.
We'll see what happens this weekend though.

τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ ∞

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote:
Originally Posted by My buddy, Maxwell
I think that's really what we want out of life. Sugar mommas and verellens.
VishNuRoXoUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM   #14290
jmaguire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack

If you like your amp's dirt, by all means use it. I used amp gain all the time, but I also have 4 or 5 dirt pedals on my board at any given time for different "flavors".

I do like the distortion on my amp and I'e never really played with any pedals that gave a 'regular' distortion sound that I liked. The only pedals I'd ever buy for dirt are ones that do something that is completely different to the amp's tone, like fuzz and stuff like that or pedals that I can use as a tone in between the two channels.

Is anyone here a fan of any solid state smps here, specifically for cleans? I'm half contemplating buying a cheap Laney head or something and A/Bing it for my clean sounds.
I am worried that it'd be way to sterile and brittle, especially as I'm using a guitar with EMGs (even though I'll be swapping them out at some point) for my main guitar with my band or an SSS Framus which I can imagine getting way too bright.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM   #14291
ibanezguitars44

Two of my friends owned acoustic 150 heads. I really like that amp. One was a regular 150 and the other a 150b. The 150 also has reverb and tremolo which both sound nice. The clean tone is great and I especially liked it through my Marshall 1960 cab.

I've played a Roland jazz chorus and I really liked it as well. Almost bought one recently but just didn't have the cash. Bummer.

Another friend of mine just bought a Yamaha g100 head. He loves it and he sent me a quick clip of it that sounded pretty nice.

Mike has an a peg vh140 or some variation of it. Those are regarded as nice amps.

What are you using now?

Edit: just saw it's a tweaker. Do you not like its clean sound?

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last edited by ibanezguitars44 : Yesterday at 11:50 PM.
ibanezguitars44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:23 AM   #14292
stradivari310
MOAR DELAY

Quote:

Regular Tubescreamers are kinda lame. At least go for a Fulldrive 2, which is better than most TS derivatives. Some kind of bluesbreaker type drive could be cool too. For fuzz, it really depends if you want wall of sound stuff or something more piercing and noisy.

Strange Mangers is great! You should also check out People Like You and Trashlord.

Quote:
I do like the distortion on my amp and I'e never really played with any pedals that gave a 'regular' distortion sound that I liked. The only pedals I'd ever buy for dirt are ones that do something that is completely different to the amp's tone, like fuzz and stuff like that or pedals that I can use as a tone in between the two channels.

Is anyone here a fan of any solid state smps here, specifically for cleans? I'm half contemplating buying a cheap Laney head or something and A/Bing it for my clean sounds.
I am worried that it'd be way to sterile and brittle, especially as I'm using a guitar with EMGs (even though I'll be swapping them out at some point) for my main guitar with my band or an SSS Framus which I can imagine getting way too bright.

I have a Peavey Musician 400. The clean tone is excellent.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) σ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

post-hardcore/ambient band
ambient/drone project
dreampop/shoegaze band
Jazzmaster / Hellcat VI > Pedals > Sunn Model A
stradivari310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:32 AM   #14293
jmaguire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezguitars44
Two of my friends owned acoustic 150 heads. I really like that amp. One was a regular 150 and the other a 150b. The 150 also has reverb and tremolo which both sound nice. The clean tone is great and I especially liked it through my Marshall 1960 cab.

I've played a Roland jazz chorus and I really liked it as well. Almost bought one recently but just didn't have the cash. Bummer.

Another friend of mine just bought a Yamaha g100 head. He loves it and he sent me a quick clip of it that sounded pretty nice.

Mike has an a peg vh140 or some variation of it. Those are regarded as nice amps.

What are you using now?

Edit: just saw it's a tweaker. Do you not like its clean sound?

Thanks, I'll have a look into some of those. I don't dislike the clean sound, it's just that I need three switchable gain settings: a pristine clean, light breakup, and an actual distortion. I was going to buy a tubescreamer or OCD or something and run it on the clean channel for the breakup tone but I thought I may be better off buying a cheapish dedicated clean amp and using the rythm channel on the tweaker for the breakup tone. That way I'd have independent EQs on the clean and distorted sounds too, which would be nice. At the moment I'm just backing off my volume knob to clean up the distortion channel but it looses the top end that is nice for the strumming kind of stuff that I'm using that setting for and just sounds kinda weak.
In terms of effects, I use my effects loop pedals on both channels, so I'd have to have it so they run in the loop of both amps if I were to do that. Seeing as my Flashback is the first pedal in the loop and the Cathedral the last, could I one amp through the left in/out and the other through the right in/out?

Edit: I have been listening to People Like You as well! Didn't even realise they were another IKG descendant. Kinda just went on a binge on Bandcamp and downloaded everything

Last edited by jmaguire : Today at 01:43 AM.
jmaguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:43 AM   #14294
ibanezguitars44

Aw come in john. Regular tubescreamers need love too ;(

But really. I have a plain boring ts9 and I love it. But John ihas a point. If you can afford a cooler one, definitely check out some of the variations. they're My friend Ryan who posts in here had a full drive an I got a lot of time to mess with it. It's pretty versatile with a lot of options.

That being said, I don't know if I'd say I preferred the general tone of the fd over my ts9. So you know, preferences and subjectivity and all that jazz.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Old Today, 03:09 AM   #14295
UnbrokenGlass

Quote:

I love SS amps, something about the sound and feel just works really well for me; I love tubes but I love me some solid state, and I've never had someone tell me my tone was too sterile.
Twitter
UnbrokenGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:43 AM   #14296
jmaguire

Well I found a Trace Elliot Super Tramp on Gumtree for $350. What do you think about that?
Then I'd have to get a radial Headbone or Palmer Tino or something to run it into my 2x12. I'm not that keen on bringing two cabs to gigs.
Maybe it's just not worth it. Maybe an overdrive and EQ pedal would be cheaper, easier, and get similar results.
Old Today, 03:45 AM   #14297
ibanezguitars44

Yeah two amps is a big hassle haha. I'd try just using a good low gain pedal for low gain drive. Or set your amp for low gain drive and use a pedal to boost that into higher gain territory

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Old Today, 03:55 AM   #14298
jmaguire

Yeah, I did use two amps simultaneously for my my distorted sounds for a while (Orange Dual Terror and the Egnater with a pair of Orange 2x12 cabs) but I kinda got annoyed with the extra set up and tear down times as well as having to lug the extra head and cab around. Just decided the reasonable little difference in tone wasn't worth the hassle and sold the Orange head, both the cabs and built my own little 2x12. I liked having the money more than that rig too
Think this might be a similar sort of thing. I'm the only one that will be able to tell the difference in tone anyway

Rate This Thread: