Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Blues & Jazz
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #101
Dropdbob

Well you all, I just came upon this discussion by accident, and now I have to ad my 2 cents worth.

I've been a guitar player since the mid 60's and I have said many times that SRV was major overrated. My guess is that many SRV fans are not players but merely like what they hear when SRV played. And that's just fine.

If you people want to hear the real deal, check out Michael Bloomfield. He is widely credited with bringing blues guitar to the mainstream beginning with his time with The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, The Electric Flag, Nick Gravenites, Bob Dylan and his solo recordings. He opened the door for the black musicians he learned from and helped them get the recognition they deserved.

Unfortunately, Mike Bloomfield had his demons too, which lead to an early death. There is a great biography out there as well as plenty of his recordings. Sorry people, but SRV couldn't touch the depth of soul and amazing chops that Mike Bloomfield brought to the guitar. I hope this gets your interest. Great stuff people.
Dropdbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #102
EricVonKimble

Stevie was a good guitarist in his day with great tone. Many musicians were and still are on drugs, but what does that matter to your career.

I say learn from his mistakes and even his playing if you can and use it to further your career.
EricVonKimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #103
Ruark

I personally don't care for his music - nothing against him personally, I just don't care for it. That being said, I can't deny that his playing skill was stellar. I listened to SRV in Austin many times in the Guadalupe Antone's back in the 70's, and he always blew me away. Check out this video. One thing I'd also like to point out: not only does he play this stuff perfectly, but notice that 99% of the time, he's NOT looking at the fretboard. That says a lot. Even world class players like Segovia and Atkins didn't, or couldn't, do that.

Yamaha YPG225
Yamaha FG720S
Peavey Special 212
Vox Cambridge 15
DR Pure Blues .010s, Dunlop Gel Heavys
Ruark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #104
Ignore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropdbob
Well you all, I just came upon this discussion by accident, and now I have to ad my 2 cents worth.

I've been a guitar player since the mid 60's and I have said many times that SRV was major overrated. My guess is that many SRV fans are not players but merely like what they hear when SRV played. And that's just fine.

If you people want to hear the real deal, check out Michael Bloomfield. He is widely credited with bringing blues guitar to the mainstream beginning with his time with The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, The Electric Flag, Nick Gravenites, Bob Dylan and his solo recordings. He opened the door for the black musicians he learned from and helped them get the recognition they deserved.

Unfortunately, Mike Bloomfield had his demons too, which lead to an early death. There is a great biography out there as well as plenty of his recordings. Sorry people, but SRV couldn't touch the depth of soul and amazing chops that Mike Bloomfield brought to the guitar. I hope this gets your interest. Great stuff people.

Bloomfield all the way, he's up there with BB, T-Bone and Muddy
Ignore is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: