Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
wolfie_walford

Slim Acoustic Guitar???

Hi everyone.

I'm looking at getting a mid range slim acoustic guitar. I have a lindo which to be honest is ok for just playing around with at home but they aren't very good quality.

I would like to get a half decent one which I could gig with but at the same time not break the bank.

If anyone has any advice on why would be a good purchase I would be most greatfull.
wolfie_walford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Morello is god

Any ovation with a plastic back. They play and feel like an electric but give such bright warm sound. Usually around 500-800$ yhey all come with onboard electronics.
Morello is god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
stepchildusmc

in the slim guitar dept. i'd have to agree with morello. i love Ovations for their portability, toughness and sound quality that you get for being a sturdy guitar. plugged in, they are outstanding! just a touch of reverb is all thats needed. i would recommend the mid-depth or deep bowls. the 1778t series is a great all around choice. has a great unplugged sound... good mid sound and not overly bright. the CC44 series would be another decent choice.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
BlackbirdPie

Ovations are pretty popular for gigging, they hold up well and have good electronics. I don't care too much for the tone of the shallow and mid bowl. but lots of folks like the unique tone. Getting a deep bowl kind of defeats your need.

I have tried some of the Ibanez slims, even though they look nice, the one's I examined used low quality hardware and there overall construction wouldn't stand up to heavy use for very long.

Another one you may want to check out are the Greg Bennett (Stagg) Blackbird series, they have a more traditional tone, are very well built, solid sitka spruce with solid maple back and sides. The TMJ has Fishman electonics and the SMJ has the LR Baggs, with I like better. They start around $600.

Doing a gig where you are going to be standing the whole time is a lot easier with a slim bodied guitar.

[Edit - addendum]
You won't be able to judge this guitar's excellent acoustic properties from the video I linked to, but you can see what is it capable of with the right amp, the playing ability is up to the user. This is Wolf Mail playing a Blackbird FMJ (I have the TMJ)

Last edited by BlackbirdPie : 07-02-2012 at 12:08 PM.
BlackbirdPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
stepchildusmc

forgot about that one blackie! was it really named after you???
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
BlackbirdPie

Nah, around my household, the phrase blackbird pie denotes something that is horribly ruined beyond repair, and that was started by my eldest son, after a Thanksgiving turkey dinner gone terribly wrong some years ago. My wife at the time had many excellent attributes, but cooking wasn't one of them.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
mkocian17

Ovations are nice for what you need. Also maybe you might wanna check out a used Martin? I went to guitar center today and played a couple that were fairly slim. They played okay. They're just not for me though.

BACON!!! U KNOW U WANT IT!!!
mkocian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:22 AM   #8
wolfie_walford

Thanks for the input everyone.

Although the ovations are really nice guitars I don't really want to go for a bowl back. I have a stagg 12 string which is a bowl and I find it a little difficult to keep it steady as I am more of a "sit down" player and the bowl tends to slide off my lap whilst playing. Are there any other makes you could suggest which stick to a more traditional shape?
wolfie_walford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
mkocian17

I feel bad even suggesting this but maybe an Ibanez AEG20E? They are thin and have electronics. Every one I've played sounded kinda hollow. You might like it though for gigging. It looks pretty and the audience will probably not be able to notice the tone quality difference when it is plugged in.

It's probably a bit below your budget and honestly you can do better than that.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-...130-i2470901.gc <--- Maybe this for a Martin?

BACON!!! U KNOW U WANT IT!!!

Last edited by mkocian17 : 07-04-2012 at 10:50 AM.
mkocian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie_walford
Thanks for the input everyone.

Although the ovations are really nice guitars I don't really want to go for a bowl back. I have a stagg 12 string which is a bowl and I find it a little difficult to keep it steady as I am more of a "sit down" player and the bowl tends to slide off my lap whilst playing. Are there any other makes you could suggest which stick to a more traditional shape?

I'm a "sit-down" player, too- and fat to boot- and I own a deep bowl Ovation. I keep it in place with a strap.

That said, you might want to consider a Carvin AC275.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/ac275

And then there is Jon Kammerer:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/news/n...ustom_guitar_b/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjDb...be_gdata_player

Note: in the video, he calls it a model 21, but it no longer goes by that name. I believe the price has come own as well- I think the entry-level model starts at $995. His website is down, but he can be reached:

http://jonkammererguitars.com/

The sound holes in his thinline acoustics may be traditional round, cat's eyes, or his patented feedback cancelling design. That body shape is fairly thin and has a parabolic curve to it. However, the curve in question is not like that of an Ovation. While his acoustics do not project the same as a standard acoustic, it projects more than most thinlines.

(Yes, I own one.)

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 07-06-2012 at 04:23 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
LewtElune

Even though this topic is old I have to give my two cents.

When it comes to mid-range budget guitar with slim body. The Lg T100 ASCE is the best there is.

http://france.lagguitars.com/Tramon...ir-p111379.html

Those guitar are really slim (the body depth is around 70mm) yet the unplugged sound is gorgeous.
The pre-amp is not tweakable and comes with 5 presets. But those presets are great. This guitar can be found around 400

Another alternative to this great guitar is the Dean Guitars, Exhibition model. It has a thicker body (around 90mm IIRC) but in term of feel and sound it's still inferior to the Lg. Although it's a cheaper alternative to anyone living in the U.S., the T100 ASCE is around 500$ in the U.S. where the Exhibition is around 350$.

http://www.deanguitars.com/exhibitionthinbody.php

Last edited by LewtElune : 01-30-2013 at 12:40 PM.
LewtElune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
mymartind35
Guitarist/Vocalist

Ovation Super Shallow Bowl. You can set the guitar up where it plays like a solid-body electric. You can pick 'em up on ebay for $150.00 all day long. GC057 black. I bought 1 a month last year. Get some Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 and you can take out all the pick scratches too. I did it with one. It looked like a mirror.
Ovation Pro Series 1773AX Classical
Takamine EG334C Natural
Takamine G406S-VS New Yorker
(also the occasional G.A.S. guitar)

Last edited by mymartind35 : 01-31-2013 at 01:12 PM.
mymartind35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: