Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #341
ghostman1846

Another question:

I realized that the effects loop is only selectable on/off with the clean channel. On the OD channel, it's on constant and the footpedal, or the front panel control, does not control on/off function for this.

Is this an issue with my particular amp, or the way it was designed?
ghostman1846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #342
avmusician

Just picked up a Blue Voodoo BV60H head and started going through it. It still had the original Groove Tubes. It was biased cold. Like 30ma for both tubes. My B+ is 485 so I cranked the bias up to 86ma for the pair of 6L6R output tubes.

Next, I swapped preamp tubes. The combo I settled on was a 12AX7 in V1, 5751 for V2 & V3 and a 12AT7 for V4. Cleans and distortion are much better.

I noticed that the midrange control on the dirty channel had almost no affect when turned. So, I tore it down today to troubleshoot. I found that the factory installed 2200pf capacitors in every schematic position calling for a .022uf capacitor. Yikes! No wonder mine sounded thin! Swapped out those caps for the correct value and the amp sounds amazing. Great cleans, and great dirt with lots of pinch harmonics.

So, check those caps. The reference number of the incorrect value caps were C7, C10, C12, C13, C16 & C33.
avmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #343
marvcoolness

Bumping a somewhat old thread here, but I just had to share it with someone!
Just bought myself a BV300H! Got it off Ebay for $300, $100 per watt
The only "trick" was that it has no tubes and all the ront panel knobs are missing for some strange reason?
Whateve's, I always re-tube any second hand AMP I buy anyway, and I'm sure the knobs can't be that much...
Just looked up the re-tube kit at Euro tubes and it goes for $337, HA! More than I payed for the amp, still can't believe I was able to snatch this deal, man, I can't wait for the tubes to get here, this thing is a complete beast!
Also, I have a pretty decent recording studio at home, so youtube will finally have a decent review of this Leviathan of an amp, can you believe there isn't a single decent recording of it over there? Or the 150 for that matter....
I also have a BV120H, and I'm going to get a second one just to MOD, found this thread with the MODS right in the first page! YAY!
I really love the 120, the cleans are just gorgeous, though as it stands, at least mine, the treble knob is completely unusable, I have mine at 2 at most, anything above that and it's ear piercing... That's why I'm getting the second one, gonna try the MOD to see how it sounds like, but keep at least one original one...

Man, every time I see a 120 at CL I feel like buying it, such a great amp for such a steal, I got mine with the celestion 4X12 for $250 for crying out loud, the CAB alone is worth more than that!!!

Well, you can tell I'm excited, like I said, as soon as I get comfortable with the amp I'll upload a thorough review, anything you guys would like me to cover?
marvcoolness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:59 PM   #344
avmusician

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvcoolness
Well, you can tell I'm excited, like I said, as soon as I get comfortable with the amp I'll upload a thorough review, anything you guys would like me to cover?

That's great! $1/watt is dirt cheap for any tube amp. Let alone one that is made in the USA. Be sure to post lots of pics when you open it up.
avmusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #345
Stormymonday

Just another reason why CRATE is OUT OF BUSINESS! all are POS! NOBODY play Them!
Stormymonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #346
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormymonday
Just another reason why CRATE is OUT OF BUSINESS! all are POS! NOBODY play Them!

thank you for your ever so valuable opinion, and interjecting on this thread. you are doing the world wonders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
See what I mean by, "they demonised it"? Tim's attitude is typical of what they did to everybody. The media drove that sort of Disney shit into everybody's brain. Only old farts like me missed it in our formative years.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #347
ghostman1846

marvcoolness, congrats! I saw that on ebay and it was everything I could do not to bid. I have too many projects on my plate right now. I'm looking forward to some updates about it!
ghostman1846 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: