Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #13901
Black Ox
Registered Abuser

Is it generally understood that most Megadeth fans didn't like Endgame? Just wondering because I love that album, and IMO it's the closest they've came to the RIP sound in recent years.

THE BOURBON SERMON https://www.facebook.com/MosesMatewan
Black Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:26 AM   #13902
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

its actually generally understood that most people liked endgame. 13 and Super Collider are the recent albums that I believe most people did not love.

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #13903
elatihc

13 was crap and I still haven't even gotten around to hearing (let alone buying) Super Collider.
Endgame was pretty decent considering what happened before and after.
elatihc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #13904
Black Ox
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustapr
its actually generally understood that most people liked endgame. 13 and Super Collider are the recent albums that I believe most people did not love.

That's really why I was highly disappointed with 13 and Supercollider. Endgame had me very excited for what was to come. Also, I feel like a lot of people in this thread were dumping on endgame a couple pages ago IIRC.

THE BOURBON SERMON https://www.facebook.com/MosesMatewan
Black Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #13905
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by elatihc
13 was crap and I still haven't even gotten around to hearing (let alone buying) Super Collider.
Endgame was pretty decent considering what happened before and after.

Actually 13 was decent I thought, as was United Abominations.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #13906
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->

I was listening to TSHF the other day, and I've always liked that album, but I thought to myself, "This is the best record Dave has ever done, tied w/ Peace Sells..."

It occurred to me that Dave makes the best music when he's in a struggle... his success brings complacency, which leads to mediocre material. A few years ago, Megadeth was a really hot band, more desired than any of the other "Big 4." Once that success got to Dave's head, the quality of music really started to suffer.

It's strange that the things Dave always seems to chase- mainstream recognition, #1 albums, etc- are the things that take him further from his rightful place in the metal community.
guitgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #13907
ron666

Has anybody heard SuperCollider? I heard some snippets from the title track, but that was it. What are the other songs like?

ron666
ron666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #13908
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

with the exception of dancing in the rain, I found it meh. dancing in the rain is a damn good song and Broderick actually had a good solo in it.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #13909
FrankenStrat77

It's an underwhelming album, but it honestly isn't as horrible as some people would have you think. It certainly isn't Endgame or even Thirteen for that matter. It's definitely not their heaviest album. There's a couple of ok songs but Dave's voice sounds just terrible through the whole thing. I think they did a good job with the Thin Lizzy cover, which was also pretty good when I saw them live last month. On the whole, I was disappointed and I'm really just waiting for the next one...
FrankenStrat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #13910
scott.reading.5

I wasn't so keen on Super Collider, especially after how good the album 13 was. But I will give it a few more listens just to make sure.

[forbidden link]
scott.reading.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:18 AM   #13911
farcry

Super Collider is average at best but Megadeth is still the best metal band out there. I've seen all the most successful metal bands and Megadeth blows them all away. What makes them so good is they are like Tool in that a lot of their music gets better the more you listen to it.

Megadeth put on a concert that blew Metallica, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Anthrax etc. all out of the water by sounding amazing, playing with energy and playing with technical proficiency. Same can't be said for most metal bands out there. I'll be back in this thread in 10 years still listening to Rust in Peace

Last edited by farcry : 12-05-2013 at 02:19 AM.
farcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #13912
MACHINEDETH

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenStrat77
It's an underwhelming album, but it honestly isn't as horrible as some people would have you think. It certainly isn't Endgame or even Thirteen for that matter. It's definitely not their heaviest album. There's a couple of ok songs but Dave's voice sounds just terrible through the whole thing. I think they did a good job with the Thin Lizzy cover, which was also pretty good when I saw them live last month. On the whole, I was disappointed and I'm really just waiting for the next one...

Yeah, agree with ya statement. didnt listen to the cover though...
and btw, thats their last album, howi read... and im kinda glad, cause that one was so horrible i really dont want to know what wpould come up next
MACHINEDETH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #13913
sweetleaf2011

sweetleaf2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #13914
mikeyknowsbetter
Don't even bother chillin

Probably already posted but i skimmed a few pages and couldnt find.

Awesome!

But still Gar was better...

Hasn't happened since though.
mikeyknowsbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #13915
Merciless Tengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcry
Megadeth put on a concert that blew Metallica, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Anthrax etc. all out of the water by sounding amazing, playing with energy and playing with technical proficiency. Same can't be said for most metal bands out there. I'll be back in this thread in 10 years still listening to Rust in Peace

I've seen Megadeth play in a festival sharing the bill with all those bands, I missed (most of) Anthrax and Motorhead, Deth were tighter than Sabbath or Metallica, but both put on wayyyy better shows, and had more energy. I've seen Megadeth since at a really good venue, with probably the best mixing I've heard and no doubt the best visuals, yet even with both times seeing them put together, doesn't even scratch the surface of Sabbath live.

Incase anyone was wondering RIP is an :IMMENSELY: better album than Peace sells, why? Holy Wars, Hangar 18, No Prisoners, Five Magics, Tornado of Souls, Dawn Patrol and Polaris. Lucretia and Poison are great tracks too, but I think the ones mentioned above are amongst the best Megadeth has ever pushed out.
Merciless Tengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #13916
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

yeah megadeths lives right now arent as memorable as many other bands particularly because the only one with some presence on stage is ellefson. Mustaine stands at his mic in the middle, and occasionally moves away to do little headbang and solo. Brodericks has a bit more presence but he still looks alot like hes following the choreography, unlike ellefson who follows the choreography naturally. and drover, well, hes drover. its not much to get the crowd all hyped.

Metallica(this isnt a bash or whatever) to me has the best live show around because of the presence of all the members and the energy brought to the crowd, the immense setlist catalog, and the different stages. You never know what youll get and every show is different.

Id very much like to see Megadeth vary up the setlists more. Mustaine could stop his "oh but theres so many songs" attitude and relearn some more songs from late 90s and 00s that arent A tout le monde and trust. the change to D tuning was a good move to improve live shows, but theres clearly more room to improve.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #13917
Rick_Kala

I recently saw Megadeth in PA and they came with Fear Factory and NON-Point. Loved Fear Factory and Non-Point was ok. Megadeth was just amazing. They are such great musicians. Mustaine played and sang with such passion -- I was impressed. The only negative IMO is the set list. I just want to see a more diverse set list. I would kill to see them do songs like Black Friday, The Conjuring, Chosen Ones, Addicted to Choas, etc....Just play some songs that aren't the norm. Broderick has GREAT stage presence as does Mustaine IMO. Can't wait to see them again...
Rick_Kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #13918
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

I only just realised that Set The World Afire has no chorus whatsoever - it goes through a whole bunch of twists and turns, almost to the point of being 'progressive', but never repeats any lyrics or riffs. Are there any other Megadeth songs like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicer666
he sucks on the remnants of Lane's testicles

Let some LIGHTS into your life!

Now read about her!

Last edited by DaFjory : 05-07-2014 at 12:03 PM.
DaFjory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #13919
NWD2100

I personally liked Super Collider. Beginning of sorrow, built for war, dance in the rain, cold sweat are all awesome songs. I think with the song super collider they wanted to have a radio friendly single to promote their album. Cold sweat was a treat for me too because I never heard the original song and I loved it.

Maybe the reason why I like the album so much is because it kind of reminds me of The World Needs A Hero which is a favorite of mine.

Youthanasia is bad ass and when I read about how Dave got the album done in his book it broke my heart a little bit because every song on that album is awesome. He was fighting with the band and wasn't really feeling good about life so the way he words it is just like Youthanasia was thrown together. It doesn't sound like that to me but who cares it kicks ass.

The only album I didn't like was risk but breadline is still a pretty good song.
NWD2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #13920
johnnuckolsmu

Hey guys! Just uploaded this pro shot footage of me playing Hangar 18 by Megadeth. I learned a lot of the solos by ear, as the tabs here aren't that accurate. Would anybody be interested in me tabbing out the song in Guitar Pro?

johnnuckolsmu is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: