User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Enemy98
UG Newbie

Should i take lessons?

Sup guys so i have been playing for a few years off and on and not to seriously and i really want to get serious about my playing. My playing just feels messy and unprofessional and i really want to touch up some stuff and clean up my technique.

Do you guys think i should take some lessons? My brothers friend recommended a guy in my area and said that he really helped him out. do you guys think that a teacher could help me out with things like solos and faster playing and teach me how to just play cleaner in general (i know that is was a teach does but im just asking if you guys think it is worth it).

Thanks!

Didnt mean to post this in the bass sections its guitar.

Last edited by Enemy98 : 12-08-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Enemy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Gessu
Learning Brain Drill! NOT

Lessons will always help. I never took them myself but if you feel unsure about your tecnique, go for it!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

The key to lessons helping you is the quality of the teacher. Do not settle for someone who is a guitarist, but also teaches the occasional bass student. Do not settle for someone who says "I teach you to be a musician who plays the bass," as this is someone who probably does not teach you the more interesting things that you want and need to learn; even if he or she knows them. Get someone whose primary instrument is the electric bass, and who is willing to teach you things like slap and pop; string muting, etc. Such a teacher can help your playing immensely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
wildozer
Not A Registered User

FatalGear speaks the truth. I've had a few different teachers over the years and there are definitely good ones and bad ones. I was fortunate to have a good teacher for the first 8 years of playing giving me a level to compare the shitty ones to. Good teachers make you want to play.

I say that you should go for it if you want to take the instrument seriously. You can only benefit from lessons and they will make you a better player.
wildozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Yeah, get a teacher if you want to get serious but like others have said make sure you get a bassist teacher not a guitarist.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
prof_fate

Lots to choosing a teacher and it can be hard to interview teachers.

My kids take guitar from a college educated music instructor that only teaches guitar. He teaches songs and if the students learn more than that it's a bonus. He's a KID teacher I guess is my point. He makes playing fun - which keeps kids interested and they do learn.

He's not a bass teacher, I tried to get him to teach me and he had no interest. So I messed about for months and found a music teacher I like - he's learned from teh school of hard knocks you could say. Having made his life of playing music in bands, managing bands, etc. He teaches guitar, bass, keyboard and vocals.
He knows THEORY - which IMO is important for a bass player. Not just 'play the root' but knowing what to play, and when, and how it should be played. He stresses reading music too unlike mykids' teacher.

I've learned a lot - got a ton more to learn. Problem learning on your own is you don't know what you don't know. Or what you should know, or what order to learn it.

A long time (35+ years) friend of mine is good on a guitar - but he's 100% self taught. He learns by ear and from others. He can't teach for crap as he has no idea what needs to be taught in what order, what builds on what, etc. He often says "play this" and shows me. I know NOW what he's telling me to do, but he has no clue himself that it's the I/IV/V progression, inverted chord he told me to play. And his instruction to 'change when it sounds right' is useless to a newbie.

But it all depends on what YOU want to get out of your lessons.

And practice matters - a lot. So practice a LOT.
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
realsmoky

Only online video lessons which are free.

Or ask a friend ( bassist or guitarist ) to show you stuff.

Don't pay for lessons because you don't really need to. There are online lessons and friends.

Except if your teacher is Victor Wooten or somebody.
realsmoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
roneldjr

In my area (MetroWest MA) a lot of teachers offer a first lesson free or discounted. Check them out. As many as you can and pick the one you feel the most comfortable with. What you're looking for will become obvious pretty quickly, because you'll find what you don't want first. I take lessons for guitar but I play bass more than I play guitar. I've been an amatuer at both for 30+years. Check out the online (YouTube) lessons too. Scott Devine is pretty good. He can offer some good insight. Check out his lesson for "the real secret to a great bass tone". You'll be surprised at the answer.
roneldjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Yeah I've come across scott devine in my youtube trawling and he does seem to be very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
williampride6

I have the basic theory down pack, but it doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere when it comes to actually playing with other people. Sometimes it seems we are on different planets, especially when we are playing cover songs of groups and someone is off kilter with the other members and it seems you can't tell this individual his/her errors because they one of those know it all's. I just wish to actually play and I believe that Scott Devine's lessons are awesome, but at times he is so focused on his progressions that he forgets that he has a basic audience of newbies, and rushes through the teachings.
williampride6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #11
John Swift

Get lessons, learn as much as you can.
When people ask me why I reply "A Myna Bird isn't clever because it can speak it would only be clever if it knew what it was saying".
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
prof_fate

ONline can't give feedback or suggestions.
friends may not know what they think they know. I have a friend that has 30+ years playing a guitar, been in a few bands in his younger days. He can play by ear very well.

When it comes to bass he knows jack shit - and what he knows is mostly wrong. He knows NO theory at all. Has no clue what a bass player should be playing, or why.

Had a few lessons from my kids guitar teacher...again, 'do this' without much explanation as to what or why. Find way to teach a 10 year old maybe, but a person that cna play and wants to know MORE - often the WHY behind the what.

Many think teachers are gonna be boring - depends on the teacher. You have to learn the alphabet and 'see jane run' before you can read (or write) shakespeare. If you are missng a basic key who would know - a teacher.
SO instead of wandering lost you get a guide to take you where you want to go.

not all teachers are beginner focused either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by realsmoky
Only online video lessons which are free.

Or ask a friend ( bassist or guitarist ) to show you stuff.

Don't pay for lessons because you don't really need to. There are online lessons and friends.

prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
jamesiles2004

I'd go for free online lessons. Plus you have the freedom of being able to re-watch the video.
jamesiles2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:43 AM   #14
GitaraFreak

I think it also depends on the teacher. Get a great teacher who is knowledgeable about bass and who can motivate you. Online lessons may be free, but no one's going to be there to correct you if ever you do something wrong. I say go take lessons if money isn't a problem for you.
GitaraFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 AM   #15
cheesefries
High Five!

Take all the money you would have used for lessons and buy some candy.

Boom.

Instant gratification.

Marshall DSL50
Marshall 1960b (V30/G12T75)

PolyTune, EH Small Stone, MXR Wylde OD, Boss DD3
cheesefries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #16
victoriagnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsmoky

That would be amazing. Except I'd be too intimidated or awestruck to take in anything he was saying to me. Wouldn't learn a goddamned thing.
victoriagnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #17
anarkee
oh the horror!

This topic has been done to death, and we are picking up spam here. Closing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is online now   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: