Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
basd45

Marshall MG CFX don't believe the hate

Just picked up an MG102CFX, and I love it. I agree that the original MGs were crap in a box, but after heading to some shops and trying a lot of the amps in the price range, the new MGs were far superior in my opinion. Sure, it's not a Dumble, but who gives a shit when the price is so reasonable. I sold my tube amps when I took a job out of the US, and since I have now returned, I wanted an amp that wouldn't break the bank. Plus, I was tired of dealing with the maintenance that tube amps require. The new MG met these requirements, all the while providing a plethora of superior tones. The old valvestate Marshall amps were some of the best solid state amps available in their day, and I believe Marshall has finally produced a new line of solid state amps that carry on that tradition.

With the amp being solid state, I have also found that you can achieve great tones at all volume levels. One of my main issues with tube amps, was that in order to achieve a great sound that they all had to be cranked to ear shattering decibel levels. Totally impractical for the non-touring musician.

After initially testing the amp, I went to the internet and saw the flame war that these things have caused. Maybe my ears are shot, but I could not disagree more with the consensus opinion about these amps. As mentioned earlier, the first few series of MGs were rancid, but Marshall has since really upped their game. A great chili pepper clean, and true Marshall gain sounds make these amps a winner in my book.
basd45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Okay.
R45VT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #3
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

Quote:
Originally Posted by basd45
Just picked up an MG102CFX, and I love it.
Oh well, good for you!

That said...
Quote:
Sure, it's not a Dumble, but who gives a shit when the price is so reasonable.
I'd like to have had a bitch girlfriend just for the sake of saying that she was more reasonable.
Seriously, I stick to what I've read once: "Can you think of any amp worse than an MG? Yeah, sure! Now, can you think of an amp worse of an MG for the same money? Nope!"
Quote:
The old valvestate Marshall amps were some of the best solid state amps available in their day, and I believe Marshall has finally produced a new line of solid state amps that carry on that tradition.
Did they stop making randall RG's and roland JC's at that time?
Quote:
One of my main issues with tube amps, was that in order to achieve a great sound that they all had to be cranked to ear shattering decibel levels. Totally impractical for the non-touring musician.
If I may ask, what amp did you play and what music did you play with it?
Quote:
After initially testing the amp, I went to the internet and saw the flame war that these things have caused. Maybe my ears are shot, but I could not disagree more with the consensus opinion about these amps. As mentioned earlier, the first few series of MGs were rancid, but Marshall has since really upped their game. A great chili pepper clean, and true Marshall gain sounds make these amps a winner in my book.
Do you work for marshall or something?
Old 04-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
757ian123

I've been telling people this for years. They really are not bad amps, but we will never convince anyone of that because they base their opinions on them of playing one at guitar center for 30 seconds. If you actually take the time to dial them in they sound fine.

Crybaby Classic Wah > Korg Pitchblack Tuner > MXR Dyna Comp > Boss Blues Driver > TC Vortex Flanger > DOD FX65 Chorus > Ditto Looper > Marshall MG100HDFX
Vox AC15C1
757ian123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

^ I owned one for a couple years.
The worst part is the speaker, but I didn't bother providing it with a good one.
The crunch was fun to play with, though the rest sounded pretty bad to me.

Like, my new 350 setup sounds soooooooooooo much ****in' better.

So, is the new MG series fitted with humanly listenable speakers?
Old 04-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
basd45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757ian123
I've been telling people this for years. They really are not bad amps, but we will never convince anyone of that because they base their opinions on them of playing one at guitar center for 30 seconds. If you actually take the time to dial them in they sound fine.

Seriously, especially in comparison to the modeling ss amps that are available. This thread already has received serious flamage. Their loss.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #7
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

Bro, do you even valvetronix?

I mean, I'd seriously like to understand a couple things.
What amps did you have before and what amps in the same price range you found worse than that?
Old 04-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #8
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757ian123

Owned one for five years, as my first 'big' amp purchase. Many people here are similar. Trust me, I know what it can do and it's not worth the price tag by comparison.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #9
basd45

Like I stated in the thread, the original MGs, I agree were abominations. I'm just stating that the new ones are definitely musical, and a practical amp choice for those not wanting to spend thousands.

To the Italian, I've owned a bunch of amps. Fender blues deville, fender blues deluxe reissue, Laney tt100, mesa mark II C+. The first two were not good, a bassman is the only decent fender imop. The last two were unreliable and required way too much volume to sound good. My brother had a valvestate, which I played extensively. The amp might sound good to me due to the quality of my guitars and fx board. I play a PRS Carlos Santana Signature Series, and a Fender American Strat that has been professionally modded with a wilkinson tremolo, and custom pups.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #10
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spambot_2
Bro, do you even valvetronix?

I mean, I'd seriously like to understand a couple things.
What amps did you have before and what amps in the same price range you found worse than that?

+1. I call inexperienced ears, no offense.
The VT is by far the better amp too. I think they're even cheaper.

And I get some absolutely frickin' glorious tone outta my RM at TV volumes. My Rebel gets good low volume tone too but the RM sounds stunning at very low volume.

And I too once had an mg and a valvestate. The valvetronix is vastly better than either. I still have a couple vt's.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
Roc8995

You can like an amp, or not. Your opinion isn't better or worse or right or wrong just because it goes against what you think is consensus. It's also not notable just because it's unpopular.

Which is why these threads always get closed. Pointless bickering over personal opinion.

Rate This Thread: