Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #4981
merriman44

That be fry fo' sho' mate. There are a couple of infrequent guys on this forum that can do this and so very similar. I forget their names, but they sound bad ass.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #4982
LuoKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
That be fry fo' sho' mate. There are a couple of infrequent guys on this forum that can do this and so very similar. I forget their names, but they sound bad ass.

Ah, that's awesome It's very unique. I actually thought this was false chord, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction! <3
LuoKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #4983
merriman44

Not nearly as unique as you'd think. It's just from the punk/pop-punk era. Still sounds cool though!
Old 04-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #4984
LuoKey

Quote:
Not nearly as unique as you'd think. It's just from the punk/pop-punk era. Still sounds cool though!

Could you link me to some good guide for similar fry singing? I just can't get it out, tried almost every youtube tutorial. When I scream, it's either too quiet or inconsistent, like very very bad scream.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #4985
merriman44

Not really. Zen of Screaming series is worthless as far as "experts" go. Nothing has assisted in my learning. I think it's fiddling with it until you get or give up really. I have yet to unlock my fry. Others here will only be able to tell you to get the fry sound and then learn to use it as a filter to sing through. Rather, use the fry as an effect on your full voice.

Helpful? Nope, not at all. But there in lies the problem with screaming. It's a very personalized and cognitive mechanism. You either get it or don't and no one can really "show you" perse.

I'd suggest to continue to work on getting a high quality sound without worrying at all about volume. After the sound quality is high, then think about ways to increase volume, that way you at least have something workable and something to continue to work towards.

The biggest issue with fry is that it is not intuitive at all. When you are false cord screaming, you are normally doing something aggressive and it just feels natural. To learn fry you have to go against how most people learn to phonate, ie-decreasing the tension of the vocal cords to the point of crackling but not enough to let air pass straight through. It's just less natural until you get it, from what I gather.

Last edited by merriman44 : 04-16-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:35 AM   #4986
LuoKey

Quote:
Not really. Zen of Screaming series is worthless as far as "experts" go. Nothing has assisted in my learning. I think it's fiddling with it until you get or give up really. I have yet to unlock my fry. Others here will only be able to tell you to get the fry sound and then learn to use it as a filter to sing through. Rather, use the fry as an effect on your full voice.

Helpful? Nope, not at all. But there in lies the problem with screaming. It's a very personalized and cognitive mechanism. You either get it or don't and no one can really "show you" perse.

I'd suggest to continue to work on getting a high quality sound without worrying at all about volume. After the sound quality is high, then think about ways to increase volume, that way you at least have something workable and something to continue to work towards.

The biggest issue with fry is that it is not intuitive at all. When you are false cord screaming, you are normally doing something aggressive and it just feels natural. To learn fry you have to go against how most people learn to phonate, ie-decreasing the tension of the vocal cords to the point of crackling but not enough to let air pass straight through. It's just less natural until you get it, from what I gather.

Yeah, I also heard that fry is a lot more quiet, lower volume than false chord.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #4987
merriman44

Depends. Some folks are quiet. Many pro guys are not quiet with fry.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #4988
dyenamytedogs

Hey guys, quick question. I'm running into issues with my voice getting progressively weaker as I scream(as in my clean vocals get weaker). Please note that at no time when I scream do I encounter any pain. I also drink plenty of water and don't consume alcohol. I don't smoke cigarettes, but I am 420 friendly on a semi daily basis. Has anyone else run into this problem? What can I do to help stop this? Thanks in advance for your help guys.
dyenamytedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #4989
merriman44

It's a common mantra. Your smoking doesn't help, for sure. Maybe give it up to a week between puffing and recording and see what happens. It's most likely irritation brought on by the intensity of the vocals and made worse by the pot smoke.

In any case, after about an hour, I start getting a bit of reduction in clean tone quality and to be honest, that's pretty normal. Even the big wig teachers of the trade say not to practice for more than an hour is you don't have to.

Screaming is hard on the voice period.

Also try drinking an ass load of water a few hours prior to singing/screaming. It takes a while for the body to hydrate from that sip that you take and the larynx is one of the last things to actually get hydrated. Make sure you warm up as well. Finally, I've found the biggest game changer for me to be tongue placement. Where do you hold your tongue in your mouth when you sing/scream?

Last edited by merriman44 : 04-25-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #4990
kthxbi
UG Fanatic

Hey all,

First post in a long while --- saw a vid today with a v good demonstration of a specific type of screaming and was wondering if anyone had any pointers on what technique this was? False chords? Fry?

Cheers

f

FREE SKATERSKAGG1 AND CORYKLOK
kthxbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:35 PM   #4991
merriman44

It's a fry. And strangely, one I can do a bit. Get the regular fry sound, the sensation you are going to look for is applying to your full voice. To do this, you need to first make sure that you are not straining, because you will get a similar sound.

It's difficult to explain, but you will be focusing the air to the very back of your throat. Focus on not pushing and instead feeling like it's a filter. It does take it's toll on the voice, at least for me so far, but it's been getting easier for me.

Clear as mud I'm sure, but it's damn near impossible to explain. Just get the fry lock down and then try to raise that sensation up in your throat and then keep the sensation back as far as possible.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:30 AM   #4992
kthxbi
UG Fanatic

Thanks so much for the response ! Do you know or could you recommend a good video / tutorial / article / anything like that on fry? I never could wrap my head around it and the things I hear of it in tutorials normally sounds ... I've never heard anything that helped me, basically.

Take care,
f

FREE SKATERSKAGG1 AND CORYKLOK
kthxbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:11 PM   #4993
merriman44

I can not. Because they really don't exist. Screaming and growling is just too intuitive. We can give help in the abstract, but I've found over the last five years of learning, teaching and work that the only way to get it is through self study.

Make sure you have the basics of singing down first (placement, breathing, transitions) and that will help you immensely. After that, it's about experimentation.

I promise you, that's the best advice you will get. Just play around with your voice until you get it. It might take weeks, months or years. I've been screaming for 5+ years and learn new shite all the time. It's ludicrous.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:28 PM   #4994
Kimino394

Yo. Short post here because I'm in a hurry and hope someone will see it and reply before I get home. Any body know what the vocalist from Crystal Lake is doing here, in most of the song? Ups And Downs

I think it's fry with quite a lot of force? I'm 90% sure it's not heavy grit. Appreciate the help. This is as close as I can get to it.

Last edited by Kimino394 : 04-30-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Kimino394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #4995
merriman44

That sounds pretty close to me! You just need to add some oomph at the beginning of phrases. Compression could do this too.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:39 AM   #4996
Cheeseshark

When you guys use your false chords do you feel it high or low in your throat? I only ask because I've noticed when I practice I get what at least feels like using my false chords both high and low.

The only differences I've noticed between the two is that one is higher in pitch, and one lower, and one sounds more like my normal voice that the other. Though they both unfortunately do to some extent. But the low one actually causes me some pain 20-30 minutes afterwards. So I figure one has to be me doing it wrong, I'm just not sure which one.
Cheeseshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #4997
gorkyporky
I like pie.

I dont even feel anything in my throat if i do it properly. Maybe right at the top of it.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:12 AM   #4998
kalvsylta

We have recorded a part of our new song, and this is only a half of a demo.
I would like to hear what you have to say about it.

In this song I'm only doing false chord, but I am planning on using more fry when I get it going.

https://soundcloud.com/carl-borg-2/acid/s-KWCOJ
kalvsylta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:37 AM   #4999
gorkyporky
I like pie.

So, i got a pretty interesting challenge ahead of me. I agreed to actually teach someone how to scream. I've been wrecking my head, thinking of ways how to go about this, but besides the "angry sigh" i have no idea how to teach someone, besides telling him "well you just gotta scream man...". I was thinking of describing the feeling i get in my throat and mouth, the positions of vibration, how to breathe (the guy is already an amazing vocalist, with years of training, so he should have that down), stuff like that. Any ideas?

Rate This Thread: