Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  

Old 11-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #10101
Hello everyone. I have a weird problem with my new guitar. It's a James Hetfield signature model LTD Iron Cross. Everything is cool with the guitar, but when it arrived the neck needed adjustment badly (it was like a pyramid) so I decided to restring it anyway, as I don't know what kind of strings they sent it with and if they are any good. I removed the strings, put new ones on, made adjustment to truss rod, made it straight. I lowered the action to something which is close to all my other guitars and to what I am accustomed to play. Terrible fret buzz.
I was like .. well, wtf? I decided to raise the action a bit - again buzz. Then i gave the rod a bit more relief, so it's not perfectly straight, but with a bit of relief - something that i dont do on my other guitars - now the action is considerably higher than my other guitars (which are both epiphones les paul and SG btw) AND again there is buzz!
Buzz is less then before, but still. It's really annoying! The buzz is mainly on 6th and 5th string, open, and on 1-2-3 frets. It can be played no problem, u cant hear the buss through the amp, but a lot of time I practice w/o amp (I have a baby) and it's really annoying..
Also I can't and I don't want to play on such high action. Is it possible that the guitar is broken in some way? I wouldn't expect this from a 1200 $ guitar, but who know. Your help is appreciated
nerfmeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:59 AM   #10102
Officially Knighted
Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
Well it's possible some nut work could help.
If it's brand new, I would contact the seller.
Usually buzz not transmitting thru the amp isn't considered an issue, but I understand how it would be annoying to hear.
yes, sounds like that guitar needs some adjustments to play the way you want. and unless you want to try thicker string gauge, I'm not sure there's too much I can
do from here, If it's still buzzing with more relief then you're already comfortable with.

Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
jj1565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:32 AM   #10103
Hi all, so during the initial set up on this guitar that I've bought a few days ago, I had a truss rod problem, after just 3 or 4 1/4 turns, it suddenly came to full resistance.

As you can see in the picture, the rod's nut has hit the inner cavity of the neck. I've read on the fret not website that this situation happens when the rod reaches some kind of a limit, and that I shouldn't tighten it anymore to avoid rod's nut breakage.

Anyway, I figured that if I slacken the strings, loosen the rod all the way (with little to no string tension), and then re-tighten and retune as normal, this would solve the problem.

It seems to me that since it's definitely a single action truss rod, loosening it while there's no tension or resistance on the neck would bring it back to "zero point" of some sort. This presumably should come off IMO. Or not?!

Thank you in advance.
aozen is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: