Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
PUNKSTER93

"Chunky" bending sound?

Hey there!

I've heard alot of classic rock guitarists uses this and all the while i searched on several websites and it came up nothing.

Here it is at 4:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLc...Q4&feature=plcp

and at 3:08

PUNKSTER93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
Kenjisan231
The Kevin Baconater's

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNKSTER93
Hey there!

I've heard alot of classic rock guitarists uses this and all the while i searched on several websites and it came up nothing.

Here it is at 4:17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLc...Q4&feature=plcp

and at 3:08

I don't think he is bending the string at the part you are referring to. I checked the tab as well, and while he bends the string after, when he makes the sound you are referring to, It looks like he is just holding it. I think he is just palm muting the string. It typically sounds like that on the higher strings.
Kenjisan231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
PUNKSTER93

what i am trying to say is.. right before he pick the string that he wants to bend, it creates some sort of chunky muting sound right before the pick hit the string he wanted to bend.

and i just wanna know how he does that? (ok use the one with the link about don felder not the one with the embedded video)
Old 11-20-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
Kenjisan231
The Kevin Baconater's

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNKSTER93
what i am trying to say is.. right before he pick the string that he wants to bend, it creates some sort of chunky muting sound right before the pick hit the string he wanted to bend.

and i just wanna know how he does that? (ok use the one with the link about don felder not the one with the embedded video)

You are giving yourself the answer "the chunky muting sound" is palm muting. I brought up the solo tab and played out the part and messed around with it. I just mute the second string with the palm of my hand. I don't mute it mute it much, but just rest your palm on the bridge and you will get that sound. Try it out, if it doesn't work, maybe someone else can help out.

EDIT: I looked at the Don Felder part, it still sounds like palm muting if I am looking at the right part. He is mixing in total string muting as well.

Last edited by Kenjisan231 : 11-20-2012 at 04:01 AM.
Kenjisan231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Generally this sound is accomplished by hitting multiple muted strings along with the one you want to sound.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
PUNKSTER93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Generally this sound is accomplished by hitting multiple muted strings along with the one you want to sound.

So how exactly do i have to do that? must i mute the strings at the bridge or at the fretboard?

If its at the fretboard, how do i do it?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Guitarra_acores

In the first clip I think you are talking about the raking. Basically you have to scrape 3 or 4 muted strings before the bend. You mute them with your right hand

In the second it's not the same thing, it's just an up/down (heavily) muted pick followed by a normal bend. For this kind of muting I would simply release pressure with left hand.
Guitarra_acores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

You can mute with either hand, it's best to mute with both though.

For the rake and bend, try using the first finger flat across the ADG strings to mute them, then hit all those strings and the B string as you bend a note on the B string with the 2nd and 3rd fingers.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: