Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
JakeLTD

New guitar thread

Hi all

Basically I currently own an LTD ec-1000 fm. I recently recorded with my band and we borrowed a friend's guitar which was the first act dc-6 (i think they're called) that one of the architects guitarists used to own. I've always thought amps made all the difference but after using that I realised I needed a new guitar! The first act had exactly the same pick ups as my LTD but it sounded so much fuller and had a much richer sound to it.

Anyway, I've been saving for a number of months now and i've managed to accumulate £800.
My band play hardcore similar to this

But as of late I have been getting into 90s emo and i have always been a fan of post rock so i'm looking for something capable of the ''jingly jangly'' tones found in music like this

I've been contemplating getting a fender telecaster deluxe or something but i've always found fender necks to be a bit chunky for my liking.

I've been trying to find a few small independent manufacturers but haven't found any that really tickle my fancy just yet. If anything I'd prefer to have something from a smaller company to make it a little more unique to me

I'm literally open to any suggestions that may appeal to me!
Thanks

Last edited by JakeLTD : 12-30-2012 at 10:20 PM.
JakeLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz

Thats a beefy budget!

Consider these options at various prices:

1) Richmond Belmont
http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/belmont.html

2) G&L (multiple options)
http://www.glguitars.com/instrument...itars/index.asp

3) Fret-King (multiple options)
http://www.fret-king.com/intro.htm

4) Godin (multiple options)
http://godinguitars.com/godinperfseriesp.htm
http://godinguitars.com/godinpassionp.htm

OR

You could shop around for a guitar you find comfy and do a pickup swap.

HOWEVER

You may still find that the main ingredients in the differences in sound between those bands are the amps and the techniques involved.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-30-2012 at 10:57 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
JakeLTD

Those Godin passion guitars are beautiful! So much money though haha
Old 12-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #4
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

so danny, are the passion series Velocity replacements?

speaking of godin, this might be right up your alley TS
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Godin-F...204-i1147369.gc
Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
dannyalcatraz

Honestly, I don't know.

The Velocity is kind of a shredder's HSS, but the Passions are SSS and HH guitars, albeit similarly constructed. And the Freeway is another shredalicious Godin, but its a HSH. But the other HSS "Strats" in Godin's current lineup are all Sessions or Progressions of some kind.

Best guess, one of the Sessions or Progressions (the Boutique?) is tricked out similarly to the Velocity, but I couldn't tell you which one.

Thing is, the Velocity is still available new in some places, and used ones in great condition can be found for between $400-600. (Just missed buying one a few weeks ago from my local GC for @$475.)

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-31-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #6
marianoarnaiz

Go Fender Mate... you'll never regret it
marianoarnaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

I don't think Fender makes any guitars appropriate for his genre apart from the Jim Root telecaster or strat

which aren't bad ideas, OP.

thanks for the info danny. I really dug the Velocitys I've played. wish they weren't discontinued.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
JakeLTD

I am tempted by fender. I wouldn't get the jim root though as i'm trying to stray away from emg pickups and I dont really dig signature models of any guitar.
The 72 tele deluxe or maybe just a standard tele i'm not sure. I really really like those godin passions but they're way out of my budget!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
dannyalcatraz

I went looking: apparently, the guitarist from TTNG uses a PRS CE22 and one of the Patrick Eggle Berlin as his electric guitars. Ain't neither of those cheap.

Some of the boardies suggested that, to achieve his tone, you might want to find something like a Tele of some kind. But- since it was pointed out that the Tele is a SC guitar, and the CE22 is a HSH and Berlins are HB guitars, most were of the opinion that the origins of his tone came from his technique and an amp noted for good cleans.

So I'd say go find an amp you like the cleans on- my starting point would be Fender, Vox, Peavey, or Carvin- then track down a guitar with a mix of HBs and Singlecoils. You say the Godin Passions are out of your budget, but look used. I played one that was $400 at my local GC, but passed on it because I was broke at the time. It was gone before I came back. It was I excellent condition but cheap because it was a Godin- for the most part, only high-profile brands like Fender or Gibson hold or increase value on the used market. The Sessions and Progressions are also probably good choices too- take a closer look at them.

OTOH, here's a new Belmont for $419. Richmond- a Godin subsidiary- takes QC very seriously, so this is a well made guitar. And those pickups are Seymour Duncans..
http://www.jimlaabsmusic.com/guitar.../prod_6657.html

As a final tweak, I'd look at pickup swaps. My starting point there would be a Lace (probably Alumitones), Tesla, Lollar, or Bareknuckles.

Rate This Thread: