Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-24-2012, 04:42 AM   #1
CannonsAhoy

Jackson Kelly Floyd Rose setup

Hi! I just got a brand new Jackson KEXMG Kelly and I wanna ask, what should I know about the Floyd Rose whammy? When I do divebombs it goes completely out of tune.

I just kinda slapped the whammy on the guitar but I guess it needs a more intricate setup. Can anyone help?
CannonsAhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
BradIon1995

Is the bridge parallel to the body? If not, adjust the spring claw tension in the back of the guitar until it is when you're in tune. Also, set your action and intonation, and maybe you haven't locked the strings down at the nut tight enough? I'm not gonna tell you how to do all that here, google is your friend from here Happy shredding
Old 12-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
CannonsAhoy

After a few hours of intense playing it seems to stay relatively stable. Thank you.
CannonsAhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
LP1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonsAhoy
Hi! I just got a brand new Jackson KEXMG Kelly and I wanna ask, what should I know about the Floyd Rose whammy? When I do divebombs it goes completely out of tune.

I just kinda slapped the whammy on the guitar but I guess it needs a more intricate setup. Can anyone help?

That is odd. It takes time time and a few retunings before a FR is set. Try retuning. Once it has stabilized then it should need nothing more than fine tuning.
LP1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
leesops

When you put your strings on put them ball end thru the tuning peg and then to the FR.

Put the thin part of string in the hole then slide the locking block back in and retighten the screw.

You will have to trim a little off the tin wire just make sure you have the length set to where the thick part of string just touch the locking block on top of the FR.

If you do all your strings this way you will never have a string pull out of the locking block or go out of tune. That is if you set everything else up right.

Hope this helps.

http://s880.beta.photobucket.com/us...467909952055137
leesops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesops
When you put your strings on put them ball end thru the tuning peg and then to the FR.

Put the thin part of string in the hole then slide the locking block back in and retighten the screw.

You will have to trim a little off the tin wire just make sure you have the length set to where the thick part of string just touch the locking block on top of the FR.

If you do all your strings this way you will never have a string pull out of the locking block or go out of tune. That is if you set everything else up right.

Hope this helps.

http://s880.beta.photobucket.com/us...467909952055137

I just cut the ball end off. No problems ever. More than one way to eat a Reece's Peanut butter cup.

OP- it sounds like your strings were not stretched. Have fun!
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

the only thing you must never do with floyd rose bridges is to rotate the studs that adjust your action whilst the strings are under tension. It'll destroy the bridge.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: